APT POP TRAIN Kit (under design & construction)

1 hour ago, Mr_Tilt said:

Tilting the WRONG way in a buffet car?

Trust me, you DO NOT want to do that! :o All that coffee, beer and sarnies all over the floor, NO fun!

I'm not sure why the model should want to do that as the cams under the floor should prevent it going the wrong way. Is there too much clearance between the cam and the bogie frame? 

Hi Mr Tilt.   Its to do with the mounting point.  The Hornby pivot can move a degree or so and mine doesn't so its mounted on a collar with pin through.  The buffet is heavier on one side and is a little top heavy so wants to go that way.  I have got it sorted, a little more testing.  The intermediate coach works perfectly.

I would imagine you're absolutely correct in looking at the cams and mounting points first.  If being heavier one side than the other is a factor, perhaps it behaves differently on left hand curves to right-hand?  

If you still see evidence of imbalance being a problem, one solution might be to artificially increase the load on the other side by selectively thickening some components.  Listowel & Ballbunion thinking there - two fat passengers on one side of the coach to offset a cow on the other !

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 04/06/2021 at 11:42, apt-e said:

Hi All,

Been working on the extra original Hornby style coaches the past two days. 

Here are some videos of the very first powered test runs, second clip is the first two coach tests.   Not perfect but not bad.

http://www.apt-e.org/leadleykits/videos/APT.wmv

http://www.apt-e.org/leadleykits/videos/APT2.wmv

Buffet car needs bigger cams to make the car tilt as its pretty dam heavy and always wants to tilt the wrong way,    Mr Tilt knows all about that lol........

Regards

Paul

These are looking impressive Paul. Do you think you are going to need twin motors for a full 14 car set?

Paul R

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, pwr said:

These are looking impressive Paul. Do you think you are going to need twin motors for a full 14 car set?

Paul R

Hi Paul,

I think that would be a must.  The old powercar doesn't really have the grunt to manage that. Lol.

Regards

Paul.

Hi All,

I am trying to setup a Facebook page to add to my RMWeb pages.   Not sure if it works so could someone please give it a try.

Search for Leadley Kits and look for the logo.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Paul

• Like 1

Hi All,

I am just finalising the design for the APT-P extra coaches.  Prototypes 3s of each are currently in print.

None articulated dev coach is off the drawing board also now.

Costings looks like they will be around :

Kits will include.   Hornby metal wheels,  Perspex and internal fittings.

£35 for the intermediate coach with Hornby style half bogie at each end.

£44 for the buffet car with Hornby style half bogie at each end.

£13 for the BT11 one part bogie.  (Needed if you want to put both new coaches together).   New half bogies can only be connected to original Hornby APT-P bogies.

or

£85 and you get all three.  

Regards

Paul

Edited by apt-e
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 09/06/2021 at 10:50, apt-e said:

None articulated dev coach is off the drawing board also now.

would be interested in this as it's difficult to cut and shut one from the old Hornby mouldings due to the door cutaways etc. Also have you done the buffet car interior? wouldn't mind one separate for my cut and shut ...

DSC_0030.JPG.bacb666c2e777fa55b79b75ce58e3238.JPG

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

would be interested in this as it's difficult to cut and shut one from the old Hornby mouldings due to the door cutaways etc. Also have you done the buffet car interior? wouldn't mind one separate for my cut and shut ...

847232208_DSC_00301.JPG.c89cb3decee400c66081f46c4780a15f.JPG

Hi,

Nice work.   Yes, the buffet car has internal detail.  I have just posted some new shots.......

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

would you do just an interior? is that possible with your design?

Yes, that should not be a problem, might have to do a bit of cut and shut depending on how the internal supports are for your buffet car.

One photo of the buffet internal parts and the other how they fit together.

Regards

Paul

parts 2.jpg

parts.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, apt-e said:

Search for Leadley Kits and look for the logo.

Hi Paul

I found a facebook page entitled "Leadley Kits" but there was no information on it, just the outline of the page.

image.png.fab6c549f61f81f0184536d5b022aa3d.png

Regards

Roddy

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Roddy Angus said:

Hi Paul

I found a facebook page entitled "Leadley Kits" but there was no information on it, just the outline of the page.

image.png.fab6c549f61f81f0184536d5b022aa3d.png

Regards

Roddy

Thanks Roddy, will try again..........

• RMweb Gold
On 02/06/2021 at 09:19, apt-e said:

Need to find some matched paint for the new coaches.  Needs to be as near as to the rest of the original model.

Regards

Paul.

I had to mix up a representation of the Hornby blue/grey for the underframe on my buffet car. The window dark grey I used SR roof grey I think, but it's a bit dark .....

• Thanks 1

Looks like another great kit, but not for me as I don't have the Hornby APT. 

Maybe I'll pick one up one day when other projects have taken the pressure off my wallet.  Of course there's  also the new Hornby APT which sounds as though it will be better than the original  but may or may not be compatible when it comes out.

I'm not on farcebook, so I hope you'll carry on posting updates here too

35 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Looks like another great kit, but not for me as I don't have the Hornby APT. 

Maybe I'll pick one up one day when other projects have taken the pressure off my wallet.  Of course there's  also the new Hornby APT which sounds as though it will be better than the original  but may or may not be compatible when it comes out.

I'm not on farcebook, so I hope you'll carry on posting updates here too

Hi Mike,  Yes, I will be still posting on here. The fb is just to raise the profile of the models, as I don't do fb apart from this.

PoP 2 is on its way, keeping its dev a bit of a secret for now. Lol.

Edited by apt-e
  • Like 2

Paul 

Slight hijack to then thread but a question for Mr Tilt.

Kit - do you know the identity of the MK1 BG that was at the rear of the POP train when it went through the stops at Edwalton in 1973? Presumably this is not the same as lab 23?

Kind regards

Paul R