APT POP TRAIN Kit (under design & construction)

Mine is in a Train Safe display box in the train room and definitely is run on the layout so I have the best of both worlds.

undoubtedly some people brought them for a profit and sold them straight away this was evident as they were being sold off before I even received mine.

I only run DC at the moment but realising that you could get limited sound on DC I changed my order fro the sound version, this was after the initial orders had been dispatched.

attachicon.gifIMG_1279.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1278.JPG

If or when you do migrate to DCC, The E train is great. Just going through the starting cycle is an event, then adding tile pack & hydrokinetic braking is awesome.

I can almost imagine Kit standing next to me, telling me where I went wrong! :sungum:

• Like 1

If or when you do migrate to DCC, The E train is great. Just going through the starting cycle is an event, then adding tile pack & hydrokinetic braking is awesome.

I can almost imagine Kit standing next to me, telling me where I went wrong! :sungum:

You did already.  :D

The startup sequence should be :- APU x 2, tilt packs x 4, turbines x 4, pause, turbines x 6, then anything in any other order.

We tended to leave the turbines till last as they DRANK fuel, especially in the later days, and that gave us the greatest running time before having to tank up.

• Like 2

Best aprecated out of the box, sound on.

Colectors who keep things locked away and never used should be sealed and mounted in a presine box!!!

I don't care what they are worth, to me I like to see them at " work".

Colectors who keep things locked away and never used should be sealed and mounted in a presine box!!!

I try to have the best of both worlds. I run mine on the layout from time to time, otherwise it lives in a powered display tube so the the lights are on most of the time and I can play with the sounds when I get the urge.post-27052-0-73416200-1497891356_thumb.jpg

That reminds me of a James May programme when he spoke to a collector at an auction who seemed a little pompous, stating that he would only buy a train if it was 'factory fresh'.

May's reaction was to out-bid him for the train concerned, then 'throw the box away & play with it'.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Paul I hope that you are well and that your printers are ok! Just wondering how things with the production process for the kits. I am sure folks on this thread would be interested in an update

Regards Chris

Hi Paul I hope that you are well and that your printers are ok! Just wondering how things with the production process for the kits. I am sure folks on this thread would be interested in an update

Regards Chris

Hi All,

Ive got 20 kits 75% done, but due to a host of issues not had any time, or the energy to do the rest.

Do any of you have access to a 3d printer, if so, would anyone be interested in the models STL files, if so drop me a line.  In the meantime, I will plod on.

Regards

Paul

• Like 1

Mine is 1 of those in progress. It is very much a nice 'to have' rather than anything else & it would probably sit in my kit drawer for some time.

Most of us enthusiastically take on things then our enthusiasm dampens & it feels more like a burden.

I would still like the kit but am in no rush for it & if you really can't see yourself finishing these off, then feel free to drop me from the list.

• RMweb Premium

Mine is also one of those in progress. I'm in no rush for it to arrive, it comes when it comes. It would be nice to get one, but if it never comes, its not the end of the world.

Paul,

A while back after posting photos of a 3D print of myself I was contacted by a guy from mould-craft.co.uk who claimed they offered the cheapest 3D prints around.

I have never used them and don't have any e perience of them but you could always ask for a quotation and samples to check quality

Hi All,

Ive got 20 kits 75% done, but due to a host of issues not had any time, or the energy to do the rest.

Do any of you have access to a 3d printer, if so, would anyone be interested in the models STL files, if so drop me a line.  In the meantime, I will plod on.

Regards

Paul

Hey Paul,

I have a kit on order, but appreciate creating these kits has become quite a burden on you. I would still like the kit, and happy to wait as long as it takes. But I also totally understand if you wish to pull the plug. I wouldn't want to see you out of pocket. Is it possible for you to get the missing 25% of the kits made for you, so that you can complete and sell the kits yourself?

Best wishes Jon

• RMweb Premium

Hey Paul,

I have a kit on order, but appreciate creating these kits has become quite a burden on you. I would still like the kit, and happy to wait as long as it takes. But I also totally understand if you wish to pull the plug. I wouldn't want to see you out of pocket. Is it possible for you to get the missing 25% of the kits made for you, so that you can complete and sell the kits yourself?

Best wishes Jon

I'm in the same position and completely agree. Hope you are feeling better Paul.

Kind regards

Andrew

Paul, I have some free time coming up, well technically not free as it will be study time but I can leave the machine running in background and just swap things around as needs be if you want me to pick up the machine and leave it running for a few weeks to help with the backlog of orders?

Hi All,

Regards

Paul

Although I do not have access to printing I could offer a day to help to collate, bag and package the parts once printed. PM me if you can use me

Chris

Hi All,

Regards

Paul

Sorry to hear - I do have a 3D printer and a roll of grey filament. The print bed is 12 inches by 6 from what I remember and it is based on a Makerbot. I have 2 to 3 weeks free - how could I help out?

Ade

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Its with great sadness I have to say that I have had to pull out of producing the POP models, due to illness and other personnel issues.

Sorry to disappoint but there is simply no way I can produce the models under the current circumstances, however, if anyone would like the STL files, I would be more than happy to supply them and hope that we can make use of them.

Long live the APT

Kind regards

Paul

Hi All,

Its with great sadness I have to say that I have had to pull out of producing the POP models, due to illness and other personnel issues.

Sorry to disappoint but there is simply no way I can produce the models under the current circumstances, however, if anyone would like the STL files, I would be more than happy to supply them and hope that we can make use of them.

Long live the APT

Kind regards

Paul

So sorry to hear about your troubles. I have sent you a PM

Regards. Chris

Hi Paul,

Been following this with keen interest.

Sorry to hear you have had to stop, but your health is number 1, above all else.

Hopefully all turns out OK for you in the near future.

I have sent you a PM.

Regards,

RL

I think a few of us have sent a PM, either Way it sounds like the POP train will continue :)

Hi All,

On Monday, I will zip up all the STL files for POP 1 and the instructions, and place a link on here for you all to freely download.

I hope you find them useful and at least some of you can have your own pop train.

I have put out feelers to see if I can find a mass producer, if I ever get around to future APT projects, well, you never know.

Thanks for the kind words of support, all will be well in time.

Regards

Paul

• Like 3

Hi All,

As promised, the link to all the POP 1 model stl files, these can be loaded into any cad/art package.

I have included every single part file, and some test ones, plus the PDF instructions.

www.apt-e.org/POP1.zip

Although I have pulled the plug on production, I am still going to finish the N gauge version, and again will post the files on here.

Hope you all enjoy.

Regards

Paul

Hi All,

As promised, the link to all the POP 1 model stl files, these can be loaded into any cad/art package.

I have included every single part file, and some test ones, plus the PDF instructions.

www.apt-e.org/POP1.zip

Although I have pulled the plug on production, I am still going to finish the N gauge version, and again will post the files on here.

Hope you all enjoy.

Regards

Paul

That is a mighty big file Paul. Thanks very much.

If/when I find someone to print it for me I will a) ensure you get credit/name check, b) post back on here to let people know that POP model lives and c) post pictures of my efforts on the model.

Look after yourself and keep a presence in APT-E world

Chris