APT POP TRAIN Kit (under design & construction)

Hi Paul

N gauge PoP is in build, 4mm version is in paint, once I’ve fitted the ballast weights and cabling I can fit the roof frames and windows ready for decals and weathering.

Cheers

Bob

attachicon.gifAAB66BED-4DF7-46DD-BAF4-C2FDC7E0E56B.jpeg

attachicon.gif3B2862AD-F89C-45C0-9B96-D4A5A68E216E.jpeg

That does look good, well done. Very nostalgic for me.  :good:

Is that Lab 23 on the front of PC4? And what motive power did you use for the train?

Hi Kit

Yes lab 23, need to do the service coach aswell.

I have renumbered a Clayton and added all the extra pipework.

Cheers

Bob

attachicon.gifEB576756-350E-486A-BAB6-64C56C990D2E.jpeg

Aggggh, a Clayton!  :O

Why do I find a sudden need to get a fire extinguisher?  :D

Lab 3, the 'service coach', is a slightly different kettle of fish. I have yet to find out what it started life as, but I suspect it was a Mk FO. By the time we were using it, there were 2 or 3 compartments installed at the PC4 end while the rest of it was open to house the instrumentation. And it had windows in the open end for the guard to observe when propelling, together with a train brake lever etc.

Thanks for the info Kit.

Do I need to fit a smoke generator in the Clayton!!

Hehehehe, to be wholly authentic, yes.  :D

But the exhaust would have to re-directed to come out of the last access door on the LH side of the front engine. 

• Like 1

Hi Paul

N gauge PoP is in build, 4mm version is in paint, once I’ve fitted the ballast weights and cabling I can fit the roof frames and windows ready for decals and weathering.

Cheers

Bob

attachicon.gifAAB66BED-4DF7-46DD-BAF4-C2FDC7E0E56B.jpeg

attachicon.gif3B2862AD-F89C-45C0-9B96-D4A5A68E216E.jpeg

Oh nice work, look forward to seeing the prototype N gauge version painted up.

Well done.

Hi Folks,

The POP train features in this video, enjoy !

Is that Kit Spackman at 5:21 ?

Gibbo.

Not in that version, no. It's Hugh Williams, he who wrote 'APT - A Promise Unfullfilled'. Hugh was working on Tilt Development with me at the time, but he moved to E-Train Support after we'd got POP-Train running well.

There is a version of 'E for Experimental' with me doing the same thing as Hugh, but it's shot from the other side of the train so it's not all that clear, and there's a small part of that version at 5:44, where you can just see my Size 11s.  :D

But that is me at 11:21 driving the crane around the Tilt Rig, but I can't remember why I'm wearing a headset....

And right at the end, at 18:20, that's Ken Austin driving the train, he who ended up with a raging headache after the London-Leicester 1 hour run.

[Later] Cor, that's very nostalgic seeing that through again. I could name most of the people in it too, and it was 45 years ago!  :O

Edited by Mr_Tilt
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just starting to look at construction of my pop train kit and looking into colours question for Kit unless anyone else knows the answer we’re the weights made of concrete

No, the ballast weights were lumps of cast steel, and VERY heavy. We had to load them with a crane down through the hinged roof sections. And they were painted light grey, the same grey as the main tubular structure was.

Please don't ask me what exact shade of grey, I think it was just what was handy in the paint store! 

Thanks kit in this photo they look like concrete

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/114295-apt-pop-train-kit-under-design-construction/page-6&do=findComment&comment=2474333

It goes to show how difficult it is when working from old photos, coming to the conclusion I may paint all the superstructure a similar light great colour and the floor a very dark grey and use a mid greybfor the doors.

Thanks kit in this photo they look like concrete

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/114295-apt-pop-train-kit-under-design-construction/page-6&do=findComment&comment=2474333

It goes to show how difficult it is when working from old photos, coming to the conclusion I may paint all the superstructure a similar light great colour and the floor a very dark grey and use a mid greybfor the doors.

That's because by then they were very RUSTY steel, and pretty rough cast originally as well.  :D

The colours sound about right, the doors were changed at least twice, see the notes on the drawings that came with the kit, and the floor area got dirty VERY quickly, what with brake dust, oil leaks and general much etc. There were timber floor planks along the centre line, down between the H section girders, and they were just wood colour, no paint at all. I've installed the planks on my kit, but as they're still styrene they're white for now. 

Hi All,

A bit off topic, but is anyone going to the MERG meet in Harrogate this Saturday, myself and Mr Tilt will be there.

Regards

Paul

Shold be a good day. Talking about APT-E both prototype and model as well as POP train model and other exciting stuff. Details here https://www.merg.org.uk/merg_wiki/doku.php?id=public%3Ayorkshire&do=export_pdf

Shold be a good day. Talking about APT-E both prototype and model as well as POP train model and other exciting stuff. Details here https://www.merg.org.uk/merg_wiki/doku.php?id=public%3Ayorkshire&do=export_pdf

And NON-serious for sure. I count it a failure if the audience haven't laughed their socks of more than once during the talk. :D

And as the middle sector, the bit how about Paul and I helped Rapido get the APT-E model so good, will be the first time we've ever done it, it could get a tad disjointed at times. I finished doing the PowerPoint presentation for that at about 2 am y'day morning!  :O

And a good time was had at Harrogate by one and all.  :D

I may take a day or two to recover my voice though, talking all day about APT can get a bit wearing on the vocal chords. Some pics of the event below.

IEsbME.jpg

My E-Train with much of its innards exposed to view

TYcy0L.jpg

What to do at lunchtime? Run APT models of course!  :D 

h5EUq5.jpg

The undoubted model stars of the event, Paul's POP-trains in three scales, N gauge at the front, 00 gauge in the middle and the HUGE G gauge model at the back. That's known as 'Big POP' now of course. The small white moulding right at the front is an ABS print of HSFV1. All of these were 3D printed by Paul at home, and amazing achievement. 

• Like 7

It looks awesome, great job on it.

If I was to scale this for N, how much should I shrink it by?

Paul's done it in N already and that version will most likely be available as a kit in the near future too. It's the smallest one of the three versions in the pic. 

• 9 months later...

Hi All,

Been a strange few years, the good news I am healthy, Got married in December to my lovely new wife Debbie.

Plan was to buy a selection of new 3D printers, and get on with making kits and designing new limited edition models, sadly due to new family matters, this has had to be put off again!!!

My web provider also decided to move my email to and external company, thus loosing all my contacts and stored emails (Gee thanks Digital!!!), so if anyone has tried to contact me directly, I will have not received it.

The models that are at 99%, will be completed as soon as time allows.  This project sounded so simple when I started it, life does through many things at you...……….

Sorry to everyone who didn't get their model, but I still plan to complete the kits off and also get on with finishing HSFV1 and the N gauge POP trains.

Best wishes to everyone.

Regards

Paul

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5