APT POP TRAIN Kit (under design & construction)

It was a right PAIN of a job too, as it seems no-one, not even me, ever took pics of the 'one door' side of Lab 4! I could only find two pics, both taken at large slant angles.

To make matters worse, the official BR Diagram for the Hastings Line Buffet Cars, Diagram 678, is wrong! The side view doesn't scale to the dimensions written on the drawing and the width in plan view is the standard Mk 1 width............

Oh yeah, I've done the interior drawing now too Paul, watch your email in the next hour or so. :rolleyes:

But it's all done now and as there's only one Lab 4 we can check the drawing's accuracy eventually, when Boris lets us of course. 

Regards

Kit

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

Evening All,

Now that I have Mr Tilts fantastic drawings of Hastings Lab 4 , I have made good progress today, things are starting to look good.

The kit will include internals with a bit of luck, and maybe a suprise...... time will tell on that one.

Stay safe everyone

Regards

Paul

lab4.jpg

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, apt-e said:

Evening All,

Now that I have Mr Tilts fantastic drawings of Hastings Lab 4 , I have made good progress today, things are starting to look good.

The kit will include internals with a bit of luck, and maybe a suprise...... time will tell on that one.

Stay safe everyone

Regards

Paul

lab4.jpg

Hi Paul,

Is the surprise a miniature Kit sitting at a table eating his sandwiches in a period of relative inactivity ?

Gibbo.

• Funny 4

Hi All,

Hope everyone is keep safe and well.

Been working on Hastings Lab 4 the past couple of days with the aid of Mr Tilts top notch drawings.

Got the sides looking good now and a few internals, a lot to do on the latter.

These are designed as printable parts, so includes what the printers can do only.

See what you think.

Regards

Paul

hast1.jpg

hast2.jpg

hast3.jpg

hast4.jpg

hast5.jpg

• Like 4

On 16/02/2021 at 18:10, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Paul,

Is the surprise a miniature Kit sitting at a table eating his sandwiches in a period of relative inactivity ?

Gibbo.

Hehehehe, I'm not sure that I HAD a table to sit at on Hastings Coach. We tilters were either in the Auxiliaries Bay tending to the Mk III Tilt Pack, or in the B end looking at the instrumentation, and there weren't any tables in either place.

There was a little table on the D side wall of the VIP Compartment, but that's where the coffee machine sat......... :rolleyes:

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

Hi all,

Quick Hastings Lab 4 update.

Test printed the base, ends and also sides now.

Just waiting for the test 3 internal bulkheads and doors to finish.  If ok, will glue the parts together.   Fingers crossed..

Stay safe.

Paul.

20210221_155925.jpg

20210221_155937.jpg

20210221_155942.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

18 minutes ago, Robert Shrives said:

Very crisp looking prints. Before you know it you will be printing  a whole 6B set .. slippery slope ..  

NO way I'm doing drawings for all of them! :o

Specially when the official BR Diagrams have errors. 

• Funny 3

4 hours ago, Robert Shrives said:

Very crisp looking prints. Before you know it you will be printing  a whole 6B set .. slippery slope ..  

Lol, 6+ hrs for 5 parts.................

Roof section says will take 2 hrs.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

16 hours ago, Robert Shrives said:

Plenty of time to drink tea!  take it easy and hope it all comes together. 

Lol I wish Robert.

With several new model designs on the go,  they keep me busy while printing parts.

I don't have a model railway sadly......

So far, Lab 4 has taken around 6 weeks, on and off.  

Glad Mr Tilt finished the drawings.  I did several basic design before they arrived.

Edited by apt-e

New roof finished.  Need to add lower cable cover to body.  Tilt pack and compressor to add, then I can get on with the bogies. 

Gutter added to roof and window frame added to vip.

As always, thanks Mr Tilt.

20210223_190129.jpg

20210223_190122.jpg

20210223_190103.jpg

20210223_191542.jpg

20210223_191539.jpg

20210223_191536.jpg

Edited by apt-e
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

You have been busy again Paul!  As usual it causes the uninitiated to raise a few questions.   Why were the windows for the VIP compartment different ?  Was it always the end with the windows that got coupled to the POP train so that it could be observed?

Very impressive instrumentation panel - but how would that be painted?  Mostly grey with white dials ?  The device on the right looks like an old-fashioned reel to reel tape drive - I handled a few of them in my time for mainframe backups, data sorting in the days before disks were cheap (showing my age here!), works payrolls etc. 

• Like 1

Hi Michael,

To be honest, I have no idea why the vip windows are different, but I suspect they are double glazed like the vip in tc1 on e train, but I am sure Mr Tilt can say why.   LAB 4 was never connected to PoP 2 as far as I know.   It was pulled around the network on various tests , on the back of service trains, but again Mr Tilt can totally expand on that, many story's to tell.  The oil leak is a really good one with rotten stockings!!!!!!

As for painting the tech panel,  I would suggest silver and grey , white knobs, but I will leave that to the kit builder.  The panel is a take on APT-E's TC2 racks.

TC2 has two spool to spool decks for recording sensor data, so did Lab 4. The decks are still in TC2.

Hope that helps Mike.

Regards

Paul.

Edited by apt-e
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

You have been busy again Paul!  As usual it causes the uninitiated to raise a few questions.   Why were the windows for the VIP compartment different ?  Was it always the end with the windows that got coupled to the POP train so that it could be observed?

Very impressive instrumentation panel - but how would that be painted?  Mostly grey with white dials ?  The device on the right looks like an old-fashioned reel to reel tape drive - I handled a few of them in my time for mainframe backups, data sorting in the days before disks were cheap (showing my age here!), works payrolls etc. 

Pretty close to what Paul said, yes. The VIP compartment was exactly that, the seats were, and still are, VERY plush indeed and cost a small fortune (in hundreds of pounds EACH in 1974!) and the whole compartment was airconditioned and double glazed, thus the totally new windows. It also had red pile carpet that reached from the TOP of the windows on one side, down the walls, across the floor and up the other side to the top of the windows again!

Hastings and PoP never ran together, apart from the odd shunting move around the RTC Yard. When we ran on the Test Track Hastings was usually marshalled so the window end was at the south, and the loco was at the north end with Lab 10 or 23 providing us with the 3 phase power. We didn't need Lab 3 in the consist as Hastings was its own lab, although we couldn't record as many channels as we did in Lab 3 or TC2. The windows were there so the Guard and the Field Trials rep could observe the track on the southbound run and operate the emergency brake if anything went wrong.

On other tests, with Hastings in the middle of a test train, as we did on the Styal Line, and the WCML, we had lab coaches and generator vehicles as well and we didn't use the end windows as they were originally designed. Later in life Hastings ran on the North end of a Wolverhampton-Euston set, tilting southbound, but passive northbound, and with a match vehicle between it and the rest of the train to gain experience with long distance running for the bogies, suspension and tilt system. Those runs were not instrumented and were only minimally crewed, usually two Field Trials reps, and APD staff only travelled on it now and then. 

Hastings' instrumentation rack was just a shorter version of the one in E-Train's TC2, as we used the same amplifiers, recorders, and playback units in both vehicles. IIRC we never did install the Redcor computer in Hastings coach, if only because it was hidden behind the instrumentation rack in TC2 ever since we took E-Train to the NRM! Pics of TC2's rack attached. 

TC2 Instrumentation-c-800.jpg

TC2 Instrumentation-a-800.jpg

TC2 Instrumentation-b-800.jpg

• Like 3

12 hours ago, apt-e said:

New roof finished.  Need to add lower cable cover to body.  Tilt pack and compressor to add, then I can get on with the bogies. 

Gutter added to roof and window frame added to vip.

As always, thanks Mr Tilt.

20210223_190129.jpg

20210223_190122.jpg

20210223_190103.jpg

20210223_191542.jpg

20210223_191539.jpg

20210223_191536.jpg

Looking very good Paul. 

I am still very interested in an O gauge version!

Paul R

9 hours ago, Mr_Tilt said:

Pretty close to what Paul said, yes. The VIP compartment was exactly that, the seats were, and still are, VERY plush indeed and cost a small fortune (in hundreds of pounds EACH in 1974!) and the whole compartment was airconditioned and double glazed, thus the totally new windows. It also had red pile carpet that reached from the TOP of the windows on one side, down the walls, across the floor and up the other side to the top of the windows again!

Hastings and PoP never ran together, apart from the odd shunting move around the RTC Yard. When we ran on the Test Track Hastings was usually marshalled so the window end was at the south, and the loco was at the north end with Lab 10 or 23 providing us with the 3 phase power. We didn't need Lab 3 in the consist as Hastings was its own lab, although we couldn't record as many channels as we did in Lab 3 or TC2. The windows were there so the Guard and the Field Trials rep could observe the track on the southbound run and operate the emergency brake if anything went wrong.

On other tests, with Hastings in the middle of a test train, as we did on the Styal Line, and the WCML, we had lab coaches and generator vehicles as well and we didn't use the end windows as they were originally designed. Later in life Hastings ran on the North end of a Wolverhampton-Euston set, tilting southbound, but passive northbound, and with a match vehicle between it and the rest of the train to gain experience with long distance running for the bogies, suspension and tilt system. Those runs were not instrumented and were only minimally crewed, usually two Field Trials reps, and APD staff only travelled on it now and then. 

Hastings' instrumentation rack was just a shorter version of the one in E-Train's TC2, as we used the same amplifiers, recorders, and playback units in both vehicles. IIRC we never did install the Redcor computer in Hastings coach, if only because it was hidden behind the instrumentation rack in TC2 ever since we took E-Train to the NRM! Pics of TC2's rack attached. 

Thanks, that all makes sense.  Useful photos.

I suppose the posh compartment was important politically to ensure continued funding, give them an idea of what the future could be.

• Agree 1