APT POP TRAIN Kit (under design & construction)

Hi All,

Thanks to everyone for the orders of Lab 4 00 gauge.

While you wait for your kits to arrive, here are the instructions to put you on with.....   (Any one spots an error, please let me know)

http:\\www.apt-e.org\leadleykits\00\Lab4\instructions.docx

Stay safe everyone.

Regards

Paul

15 minutes ago, DRM said:

Hi Paul 

tried to go to the instructions to have a look but can’t seem to get link/ address to work.

regards Darren

Hi Darren,

I just tried the link and it worked OK.  Did you copy and paste the link or re-type it.

The link is case sensitive.

Can you try again please Darren.

Thanks for the message.

Regards

Paul.

Hi Paul

my son got it off his desk top and emailed me it. Thinks it my iPad ( or me )

Paul I’ll have a Lev1 Trstrol and maglev when you do them as well.

thanks for all your hard work.

take care

regards

Darren

• Thanks 1

Only issue I had with the link was that Malwarebytes told me the site is suspicious - probably because they don't trust any site with relatively light traffic, though I suspect the sites that cause me grief are probably sending millions of bogus emails!

Instructions look pretty clear - just one minor ambiguity which might be obvious when I've got the bits in front of me.   Page 25, "large part to bottom" on the underframe.  As this is on a drawing with the chassis upside down, does bottom mean bottom while the coach is upside down, or bottom when right way up?

• Informative/Useful 1

15 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Only issue I had with the link was that Malwarebytes told me the site is suspicious - probably because they don't trust any site with relatively light traffic, though I suspect the sites that cause me grief are probably sending millions of bogus emails!

Instructions look pretty clear - just one minor ambiguity which might be obvious when I've got the bits in front of me.   Page 25, "large part to bottom" on the underframe.  As this is on a drawing with the chassis upside down, does bottom mean bottom while the coach is upside down, or bottom when right way up?

Hi Mike,  the larger part to the support base, but actually, if you put them all the same way round, it would not make any difference.  Malwarebytes does not trust any site that is not https.  I can assure you its safe as I made it lol........

Edited by apt-e
  • Thanks 1

Hi All,

Just a generic message to everyone I have contacted and have paid for Lab 4 kits.  All the present batch was posted yesterday so should be with you next week,

Thanks to everyone's support with this model.

Hope you all enjoy the build and running,   photos of finished kits would be nice to see.

Stay safe everyone.

Regards

Paul

On 01/04/2021 at 18:33, Michael Hodgson said:

Hi Mike, 

I've just checked the instructions, and on my pc, using ms word to view it, all is correct.

When I do the instructions, I make a new model in tinker and, so I am unsure on what you are seeing.  The tech desk is at the windowed end.  End "A".

Make sure your model looks like the image below.

Thanks Mike.

All a bit odd........

20210403_185310.jpg

Edited by apt-e

10 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

image.png.34b5ffb80a586e7ed87cfe97b5aac93c.pngYes. but in this view the end of the carriage has a door, but doesn't have end windows.

That's tc2 in APT-e Mike.  Photo is for reference on colours for tech desk.  Sorry, I should have stated that.  My apologies.

• Thanks 1

The instrumentation consoles in TC2 on E-Train, in Lab 3 and in Lab 4 were all made from similar components, and in many cases housed the same equipment. We swapped the Redcor computer, some of the tape drives and the UV recorders from one test vehicle to another, but most of the amplifiers, the things in the second bay from this end in the pic, stayed in the vehicle they were assigned to.

Lab 3 and TC2 had much longer instrumentation bays than Lab 4 though as Lab 4 had a very dedicated purpose, namely just to  test the H4X bogies and the associated systems. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Lab 4 only really changed its appearance on the outside when we repainted it in the 'Yellow End' scheme. Otherwise it stayed pretty much the same on the inside. 

The interior part that did change was the Mk III Tilt Pack, as it was designed so we could easily try out different manufacturer's pumps, filters, valves etc. but it would be impossible for poor Paul to mould all the various options. :rolleyes:

The pack he's moulded is pretty generic in that it shows it approximately how it looked much of the time. Sadly there seem to be no pics of the Mk III anywhere, even I didn't take any for a change. :( And there were only two of them and they were both dismantled and their parts were used for the development Mk Vs.

Here's an early Mk V under POP II, and it looks NOTHING like the Mk III in Lab 4, but many of the components were identical.

p18.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 31/03/2021 at 18:51, DRM said:

Hi Paul 

tried to go to the instructions to have a look but can’t seem to get link/ address to work.

regards Darren

I tried to download from a Mac and it wouldn't work. However it downloads from a PC no problem. The Mac for some reason just treats it as a search and you get back to the page you started from!!! I think its an Apple IoS thing  - no fault of Paul's.

Paul R

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Darius43 said:

HSFV1 built from Paul’s OO gauge kit.

3BA7B4CB-E4DE-46ED-B7E9-AEBC8BE9BAA1.jpeg.c033d001d57c09838561d71bea3d6cb7.jpeg

Looking forward to building Paul’s Lab 4 kit.

Cheers

Darius

That's fantastic Darius......

Edited by apt-e
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi All,

A good tip for Lab 4 has been shown to me, use AK Interactive Primer and microfiller on the panel sides to reduce the hashing left over from the printing process.

Might help reduce the pre-processing before painting.

A light sand, and away you go by all accounts.

The limitations of 3D printing can sometimes make things a little harder, but I am testing some extra functions within Cura which might help in the creation of future models, namely PoP 2.

Stay safe everyone.

Regards

Paul

Edited by apt-e
  • Thanks 1