APT POP TRAIN Kit (under design & construction)

Hi ,

The primer I have seen was code AK758 in grey.

Hope this helps people.

Regards

Paul.

This is a test part with primer  and one coat of brushed on paint.  I actually forgot to sand this also, 

20210409_134716.jpg

Edited by apt-e

2 hours ago, ColinK said:

Rather than sand, try scraping a blade along the material with the blade at 90 degrees to the print marks. Then apply the microfiller primer.

Thanks Colin, will give that a try also.

Edited by apt-e

Started a full side test paint.

Small test part was done red first then blue and looked OK.  I am no painter but I am happy with it.

You have to look stupidly hard to see any print pattern.

I like to think that my kits give you a full model for novice and medium level builders, and something to build and then super fine detail for the experts. 

I hope that is the case.

I thank everyone who has support me over the past years and enjoy what I do.

More to come...........

Stay safe everyone.

Regards

Paul.

20210413_131542.jpg

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

You seem to have cut bits off the ends of that coach side - are you building a cut & shut of something else?

Lol Mike, APT 4........... super loop train.

Edited by apt-e
  • Like 1

A bit if progress today...... 

End of each roof section should be grey, will sort that, and side pattern should go to the very end, but I like the yellow ends.   Not finished the end paint detail but happy with it so far.

20210417_211830.jpg

20210417_211800.jpg

Edited by apt-e
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Just spotted something awry with the Lab 4 roof...

289B1552-F9D1-40F1-B6E4-2C43C4084FA3.jpeg.8a09909fb534bdb625f98cb5793ce029.jpeg

F5435E21-A128-4111-AABF-3EF7C1961C27.jpeg.a3b538f2a4b470d6b48d6f9315f349aa.jpeg

It’s been in the sun and the roof clearly didn’t take kindly to it.

Going to try the hot water straightening treatment...

Darius

• Informative/Useful 1

29 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

Just spotted something awry with the Lab 4 roof...

289B1552-F9D1-40F1-B6E4-2C43C4084FA3.jpeg.8a09909fb534bdb625f98cb5793ce029.jpeg

F5435E21-A128-4111-AABF-3EF7C1961C27.jpeg.a3b538f2a4b470d6b48d6f9315f349aa.jpeg

It’s been in the sun and the roof clearly didn’t take kindly to it.

Going to try the hot water straightening treatment...

Darius

Hi Darius,

Pla+ does not like direct sunlight.

Not seen it do that though.  Once painted its fine, I've not seen or heard of any problems, and I haven't had any issues myself.  All very odd.

I have some spares so will send you a couple.  No problem, will get it posted tomorrow for you.

Regards

Paul.

Edited by apt-e

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

Many thanks for this.  

The hot water treatment seems to have worked and the roof is now pressed down flat with weights atop.  I will let it cool down slowly to see if it stays flat and let you know.

The rest of the coach is fine and is now located safely away from direct sunlight.

Cheers

Darius

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

The hot water treatment has worked but in the process the roof has appeared to shrink lengthwise.

2D2AC7B1-FF32-4A67-A8D7-E41D9A455950.jpeg.df443316fcee36b2609bb0b44438afb9.jpeg

0C30B137-A9FC-45E8-A357-2742A7519360.jpeg.63d98540451e96642ee523a74c9f4675.jpeg

I can add and blend in plasticard spacers to the ends, which will be preferable to sanding and smoothing a new roof.

Cheers

Darius

• Informative/Useful 1

32 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

The hot water treatment has worked but in the process the roof has appeared to shrink lengthwise.

2D2AC7B1-FF32-4A67-A8D7-E41D9A455950.jpeg.df443316fcee36b2609bb0b44438afb9.jpeg

0C30B137-A9FC-45E8-A357-2742A7519360.jpeg.63d98540451e96642ee523a74c9f4675.jpeg

I can add and blend in plasticard spacers to the ends, which will be preferable to sanding and smoothing a new roof.

Cheers

Darius

The offer of some spare roofs is still open Darius, if you need them.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

So does that mean the material has bulged out in other directions ?  It doesn't appear from the photos to have done so, and I'm assuming none of it has left in the form of vapour. so what has happened - some form of chemical reaction with the atmosphere or has there been a molecular rearrangement into a more compact form?

I am also wondering what the effect would be if the roof had been securely glued on along its whole length - would the whole body have warped?

Paul believes that it doesn't happen when painted, but if sounds to me like the problem is temperature related - so I would expect a painted roof to do much the same.  From what I have read, my understanding is that PLA is a thermoplastic, and that it would go through a glass transition at around 60 Celsius and melt at c. 150 Celsius.  If it were reacting with the atmosphere, paint might act as a barrier preventing it, and I suppose a layer of paint might merely slow down the rate at which solar energy get through to the component otherwise I am at a loss to see why paint would offer any protection.   

Perhaps it is important to keep this rolling stock out of strong sunlight?

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Paul believes that it doesn't happen when painted, but if sounds to me like the problem is temperature related - so I would expect a painted roof to do much the same.  From what I have read, my understanding is that PLA is a thermoplastic, and that it would go through a glass transition at around 60 Celsius and melt at c. 150 Celsius.  If it were reacting with the atmosphere, paint might act as a barrier preventing it, and I suppose a layer of paint might merely slow down the rate at which solar energy get through to the component otherwise I am at a loss to see why paint would offer any protection.   

Perhaps it is important to keep this rolling stock out of strong sunlight?

The roof had several coats of primer on it before it curled.

Definitely no direct sunlight for rolling stock built from this material.

Darius

• Thanks 1

Hi all,

What I meant is that pla and pla+ do not like being warmed up .  When I tested this some years ago direct sunlight, in a window warped the shape.  30+ degrees and things can go wrong.  The same happens to airfix kits if left on a window, I learnt that the hard way with a very expensive harrier jump jet.

I also had a Hornby apt-p driving coach go the same way.   Won't do that again.

Basically don't leave your models in direct sunlight, EVER...

Hope this clears up a few things people.

Stay safe.

Regards

Paul.

Edited by apt-e
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

So does that mean the material has bulged out in other directions ?  It doesn't appear from the photos to have done so, and I'm assuming none of it has left in the form of vapour. so what has happened - some form of chemical reaction with the atmosphere or has there been a molecular rearrangement into a more compact form?

I am also wondering what the effect would be if the roof had been securely glued on along its whole length - would the whole body have warped?

Perhaps it is important to keep this rolling stock out of strong 

Uv light through windows is an issue also, the paint helps massively with stopping this and also protects.

I always use PLA+ which melts at 175 degrees.

It's all an issue with the medium sadly, as long as you follow some simple rules, it will be ok.

Hope this helps people.

Stay safe

Regards

Paul.

Edited by apt-e
  • Thanks 2