APT POP TRAIN Kit (under design & construction)

ARR, Lab 3, cut and shut Bachman coaches. Test car 2, Lab 12, Lab 2, DW150192 ( test car 4 ), and Gemini and HSFV4 are in progress. All ready for under coat, along with 6 mk2,s and a mk3 DVT for DRSing. My work bench is a mess!!!.

I'll have to post some pics when I finger out out how too.

Finished Lab1, Lab22, Lab17, Lab18, Trib auto driver, Lab 6Prometheus, test car 8&9 & the CCT + 2 brake runners. Don't ask. It started with want 1 and the rest as they say is history. ( most where cut and shut or heavy modified ).

Long live PoP

Thank you for your kind words people.

Kit I would love to build a layout and take them out, But i'am cursed to work most weekend (tamper op). I HO I HO its off to London bridge I go for the weekend.

Paul it's not a patch on what you've done, to do what you've done from nothing, I tip my hat.

If I don't reply to anything later its because i'am working, driving or asleep.

Take care Darren

I think we should set up an RTC specific topic as there are some fantastic models out there! Perhaps I'll look at it later.

Cheers

Shane

Good idea Shane.  :good:

We should build an RTC specific layout of course, but then some of us are already doing it.  :D  :good:

• Like 1

Thank you for your kind words people.

Kit I would love to build a layout and take them out, But i'am cursed to work most weekend (tamper op). I HO I HO its off to London bridge I go for the weekend.

Paul it's not a patch on what you've done, to do what you've done from nothing, I tip my hat.

If I don't reply to anything later its because i'am working, driving or asleep.

Take care Darren

We'll have to arrange a 'loan agreement' so Mick can show them on his 'Deadman's Lane' layout some time, along with a veritable fleet of E-Trains and POP-Trains from the rest of us of course. 

That's so long as he agrees NOT to re-paint them yellow..................  :D

Welby Lane, not sure if Mark Pearson, the builder is on here. It would be cool to have all our RTC models together at the same time, somewhere! Mark and I did discuss earlier this year and thought about linking our layouts up. Only issue with that is mine is P4 and Mark's is 00!

Cheers

Shane

• RMweb Premium

I think we should set up an RTC specific topic as there are some fantastic models out there! Perhaps I'll look at it later.

Cheers

Shane

Only if we can include yellow as well...........

Cheers,

Mick

Yes, I know about 'Welby Lane'. Mark and I have been in contact for a while and I gave him some info on the RTC vehicles that I knew of.

But Welby Lane is a sort of hybrid of the RTC and Old Dalby rather than the RTC itself. It would take LOTS of space to do the RTC properly, just look at the amount of cutting and shutting that Mick had to do to get 'Deadman's Lane' down to a practical size.

• Like 1

What colour should the train be painted and are there any pictures showing the transfers required

Grey, all of the tubes anyway. The cabin sides, roof and most of the ends were non-painted aluminium. Pretty boring I agree, but there was hardly any area to paint in the pretty RTC Red/Blue scheme.

Of course that will trigger someone into painting one of Paul's kits into Red/Blue I expect.  :D

I'll add a colour key to the drawings to show which bits were painted and which weren't.

This pic of the recovery of the 'Jan 9th Incident' shows PC3's number, PC4 was similar. You can see the grey shade of the structure and the aluminum of the cabin too.

JqpKQT.jpg

Looking at my pics in some depth I'd say that the lower level of the POP-Train's frames were a darker grey than the upper tubes and the ballast weights. The support girders for the ballast weights would seem to be the same darker grey too. I'll emphasise that in the drawings.

Oh yes, the pipework on the side of the vehicles, as shown in Sheet 2 of the drawings, was white, but see the note below about how it all gor dirtier and dirtier.

As time went on the whole frame of the vehicles got dirtier though, so the difference between the two greys got more difficult to determine. And as far as I can recall we NEVER had the thing cleaned. It would have been a waste of time passing it through a carriage cleaning plant and it would have needed a cast of thousands to clean each individual tube!