Minerva To Announce New 0 Gauge Model at Guildex 2016

81A Oldoak

If "Additional parts will also be included with each model to enable further customisation to represent the modeller’s favorite engines.", surely that means we're being taken back 50 years to the days when a Tri-ang Jinty could be converted into just about any type of loco that ever existed. I'm fascinated to see how one model loco, even with 8 body variations and all these additional parts, could be converted into all my favourite locos :jester:. If I've misunderstood, something that Colonel Stephens owned in 1905 could be very useful.

Cracking idea! Like the good old 'varikit' tank engine in 009 - it was the first loco kit I ever made when I was about 12 years old. Plonked it on a Minitrix chassis and away I went!

• RMweb Gold

I'm still dreaming of a Y6/J70 Wisbech tram loco, but the multiple body options kind of rules that one out again... I'll keep on dreaming ;)

That one would be lovely too - can I add my vote for that as well?!

I would like to indulge in some rampant wishlisting If I may

"significant widening of Minerva’s offering and will give modellers an opportunity to own up to 8 different body variations and four livery styles of this particular"

I would live to see the "widening" as actually narrowing - I would love to see a 7mm narrow gauge 0-16.5 loco - a customisable rtr - giving options like the previously mentioned GEM kit for 009.

An untapped market and I think Minitrains have shown how succesful rtr narrow gauge can be ( in 4mm in that case though )

A Hunslet please ...

I would like to indulge in some rampant wishlisting If I may

"significant widening of Minerva’s offering and will give modellers an opportunity to own up to 8 different body variations and four livery styles of this particular"

I would live to see the "widening" as actually narrowing - I would love to see a 7mm narrow gauge 0-16.5 loco - a customisable rtr - giving options like the previously mentioned GEM kit for 009.

An untapped market and I think Minitrains have shown how succesful rtr narrow gauge can be ( in 4mm in that case though )

A Hunslet please ...

I kind of agree, but it would mean I'd be tempted to spend money, rather than batter innocent OO gauge RTR stuff into O-16.5 at minimal cost!

"Widening" could also imply broad gauge, and that would be seriously worrying, as I'm trying to restrict my broad gauge modelling to 4mm scale!

I agree with that mind - I think 7mm narrow gauge is a potentially huge market for RTR especially given the explosion of the standard gauge offerings in the past few years. Offers all the benefits of the 'mass' of O gauge but can be done in a small space. I'm surprised that nobody has followed the lead taken by Bachmann in the USA with their On30 range and produced something for the British market.

Don't forget Ixion produced their 'coffeepot' before the Hudswell Clarke though, so there is a track record in the scale

My money Is on a GER/LNER/BR J67/J69 its the loco I can think of that a number of standard variations on a common type. Large tanks, Small tanks, Short tanks, Tall tanks, Large Cab, Small Cab, Fitted, Unfitted. Add to that GER pre 1915 Blue, GER Post 1915 Grey, LNER Black, Early BR Black, Mid-BR Black late BR black.

Marc   

I agree with that mind - I think 7mm narrow gauge is a potentially huge market for RTR especially given the explosion of the standard gauge offerings in the past few years. Offers all the benefits of the 'mass' of O gauge but can be done in a small space. I'm surprised that nobody has followed the lead taken by Bachmann in the USA with their On30 range and produced something for the British market.

I get the impression that narrow gauge modellers tend to be more independent than standard gauge modellers, and like to be different. I'm sure an RTR loco would sell, and many more would be customised, especially as there's a much greater tendency to freelance modelling. But there were greater differences between the locos on the various British NG lines, and lines where every loco was different. So I'm not sure the market for any particular loco would be as big as for a standard gauge one.

Bachmann On30 coaches in moderation are OK for British layouts. The excuse for my two is that they were a cancelled export order (like the standard gauge Weston, Clevedon & Portishead ones).

My money Is on a GER/LNER/BR J67/J69 its the loco I can think of that a number of standard variations on a common type. Large tanks, Small tanks, Short tanks, Tall tanks, Large Cab, Small Cab, Fitted, Unfitted. Add to that GER pre 1915 Blue, GER Post 1915 Grey, LNER Black, Early BR Black, Mid-BR Black late BR black.

Marc

Like I said earlier, I hope not as they have been on my drawing board for a few months and have even been costed for tooling.

Marc   

and a special edition of the Liverpool Street pilot.

Ed

If I was plonking my own money down on a  RTR loco I would pick a 0.16.5 quarry hunslet which came  comes in many shades and cabs ,bells and whistles.It would also kick off  a new  market and aspect of narrow gauge modelling like Bachmann with 0n30 and Peco,Heljan,Minitrains, and indeed Bachmanns Skarloey .I always discount the over rivetted  counted enthusiast as they rarely spend any money just moan .

A GER  J69 or whatever would be great  .I would have to buy one just to look at it and sigh ,like Dapols Terrier .

Union Pacific 4-8-8-4 "Bigboy" Locomotive set up for the new Peco small radius point so capable of dealing with 40" radius curves. Ideal loco for small plank layouts I was told in confidence.

Lionel have been doing similar for years but on much sharper radius .

Archived