South Pelaw and Stella Gill EM

Grosmont Jnc

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Michael Delamar said:

Very much enjoyed the MRJ article!

So did I, and wondered whether there would be any chance of a follow up going into more detail about the construction of the splendid signals on the layout?

1 minute ago, 31A said:

So did I, and wondered whether there would be any chance of a follow up going into more detail about the construction of the splendid signals on the layout?

I believe that more articles will be on the way in due course.

John

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 31A said:

MRJ 201.   "Semaphores & Servos - Simple!"

Mr L explains his techniques although I can't recall if any of South Pelaws semaphores put in an appearance.

The South Pelaw boys also do a canny BBQ skewer.

SouthPelaw2017-014-Sm.jpg.aced8c8f77f717616f619d1bd4343238.jpg

P

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

11 minutes ago, pete55 said:

Our blog has been updated by Martin with a few more of Tony Lambert's pics which he took for the MRJ 271 article, which were not used

Up late old chap.

• RMweb Premium

I'm still enjoying the MRJ article, (a whopping 13 pages) and admiring what an achievement this layout is, as well as a tribute to the men who worked these railways and the industries they served.

Thanks very much,

Dave.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

On ‎07‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 16:27, Roger Sunderland said:

Just stunning work guys. Any chance you might be at Doncaster next year? Incidentally please can you tell me what paints you've used for the "oriental blue" and off white colours on the structures?

Firstly, many thanks for the compliments.

Secondly, we have not been invited to Doncaster, but the layout's next show is ExpoEM Autumn (or North!) 7/8th September this year at Kettlethorpe School, Wakefield, which is not a million miles away from Doncaster. Show details are in the Exhibition thread on this site.

As for the structure colours, I'll have to ask Mark to give me the details and post later.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Passing trains at South Pelaw Junction.  Please note that this was a 'free for all' running session with just a couple of trains so, yes, I know that the empty steels are missing a brake van and are going in the wrong direction :)

• Like 13

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, drmditch said:

Please excuse a question.

Are there published details anywhere of your construction of the bridge girders?

I'm trying to make some NER girders at the moment, but I doubt mine will be anywhere near as good as yours!

Not that I’m aware of, I can ask the guy who built the bridge to see if he’s got any details. 

John

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, drmditch said:

Please excuse a question.

Are there published details anywhere of your construction of the bridge girders?

I'm trying to make some NER girders at the moment, but I doubt mine will be anywhere near as good as yours!

I've had a look and there were no published details used for the construction.  It was possible to measure the bridge as it still stands albeit the deck is completely different and the girders no longer exist.  From the measurements and much looking at photos of the bridge, the height and width of the girders was worked out as accurately as possible.

John

Although we haven't been able to get to the layout much during 2020 various projects have been carrying on at home. I decided to add to our existing forest of signals and build a couple of miniature arm shunt signals for Stella Gill, one of which is shown here.

IMG_3191.JPG

Edited by Grosmont Jnc
Can't post properly!
  • Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2