South Pelaw and Stella Gill EM

Grosmont Jnc

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

As a special load, the Trestrol should be marshalled next to the loco or the brake van.

Perhaps it should but I have photographic evidence that it wasn't always the case, at least not in a consist of empty wagons, on their way up to Consett.

Edited by johndon

10 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Fair enough - rules weren't always obeyed!

To be honest, I wasn't aware such a rule existed although I'm sure some of the team would be.  We've tried to model each train on the layout on a photo taken on the line.

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/02/2021 at 22:48, RichardClayton said:

The second pair are BR 10’ wheelbase versions, and are obviously incomplete; though one has at least reached the initial painting stage. As with all Dave Bradwell kits, they are an absolute joy to build because the kit is well designed, and the parts fit together beautifully.

2599B8E0-02DB-48AF-97BD-0BF3FD28BF6B.jpeg.64f14c41ac1c3f066a88e689d7449906.jpeg

I have enjoyed a pleasant afternoon finishing off these single bolsters. When I bought all four single bolster kits at Scalefour North a few years ago (an exhibition, remember them?) Dave told me to make sure I actually built them. Well they are all done now, bar some Dullcote and chain.

BB2E28B8-24D7-469F-8C31-9757689F46D1.jpeg.d7014472758911eec64d572f2dfcbb30.jpeg
Before anyone mentions it, I *know* the numbers are for diag 1/400 wagons with an 8’ wheelbase, and these wagons are diag 1/402. Mea culpa, and it does bother me slightly. My excuse is that I had a railtec transfer sheet with the earlier numbers, which are nearly right. In my experience, making up numbers one digit at a time, or by cut’n’shut can work, but there is also potential for significant frustration. So I went with inaccuracy ...

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
On 14/03/2021 at 17:24, RichardClayton said:

Before anyone mentions it, I *know* the numbers are for diag 1/400 wagons with an 8’ wheelbase, and these wagons are diag 1/402. Mea culpa, and it does bother me slightly. My excuse is that I had a railtec transfer sheet with the earlier numbers, which are nearly right. In my experience, making up numbers one digit at a time, or by cut’n’shut can work, but there is also potential for significant frustration. So I went with inaccuracy ...

And nobody is going to read the numbers as the train runs past!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Not knowing anything about such engines obviously, but that Q7 looks, well, wrong, as though it's been kitbuilt from a chassis, footplate and boiler from 3 different kits!

Mike.

I agree, it does look odd. But to my eyes Q7s always tend to look a bit weird from some angles, like they have been stretched in a vertical direction. I think it is because the boiler sits quite high, and I presume this is to incorporate the inside compound cylinder.  The short coupling rods also give the outside cylinders quite a sharp rake.

I'm pretty sure this model is a Dave Alexander kit on a Pete Stanger chassis, a combination that produces a more dimensionally accurate model than the DJH offering, so it should be pretty much spot on.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, RichardClayton said:

I agree, it does look odd. But to my eyes Q7s always tend to look a bit weird from some angles, like they have been stretched in a vertical direction. I think it is because the boiler sits quite high, and I presume this is to incorporate the inside compound cylinder.  The short coupling rods also give the outside cylinders quite a sharp rake.

Also so that the firebox can be sited above a driving axle, rather than between or behind them

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 04/03/2021 at 19:58, johndon said:

Perhaps it should but I have photographic evidence that it wasn't always the case, at least not in a consist of empty wagons, on their way up to Consett.

You're probably right.  I would assume that it was only a special load when it was actually laden.

I never visited the North East until a few years ago but I have always been fascinated by heavy industry. 

I grew up in South Wales and I thought there were a lot of industrial railways down there but when I start to look at old maps and photos of the North East it really is something else.

I stumbled across a set of photos of Blyth Staithes and Cambois sheds in their final days (by Ernie Brack IIRC ?) and I became almost obsessed with it. I think it was the combination of relatively new Class 56 locos, hauling 4 wheeled hopper wagons, to be gravity-shunted on massively over-engineered wooden piers that captivated me.

The pictures of your layout have exactly the same effect on me - they make me wish that I was born 20 years earlier 

...and 300 miles further North :D

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, RichardClayton said:

I'm pretty sure this model is a Dave Alexander kit on a Pete Stanger chassis, a combination that produces a more dimensionally accurate model than the DJH offering, so it should be pretty much spot on.

Q7's weren't compounds, they were 3 cylinder simples.  And yes, they look....funny.....

It is very crowded between the frames of a Q7. As well as a con rod for the inside cylinder there are three sets of Stephenson valve gear each with two eccentrics. To fit these in between the frames meant that the eccentrics were narrower than for the Q6 and therefore more prone to wear. Maintenance was a recurring problem. As if that wasn't enough, there is a steam reverser in there as well. Oiling round must have been a nightmare. 

The cab front is set back about 6 inches into the cab and the firebox protrudes a similar distance further inside giving little space for the fireman to swing the shovel. Indeed short handled shovels were available.

They were unnecessarily powerful locos for their time, that were unchallenged until the ore trains came along. But they weren't popular with the crews because they were difficult to prepare and work.  The preserved loco is in the Head of Steam museum in Darlington. It was restored in the 90s and ran for 10 years on the NYMR. The information above came from experiences and reminiscences passed on at that time.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Sugar Palm 60526 said:

It is very crowded between the frames of a Q7. As well as a con rod for the inside cylinder there are three sets of Stephenson valve gear each with two eccentrics

Plenty o room for cigarette paper.

1084695267_Q7-PservedVgear-20-Edit.jpg.e3b9269823df09f02bcb64b5578d1ce6.jpg

The cab had some unusual fittings...

Q7onaQ7sm-2.jpg.f10b4de1878e49d9dd6cda895e99efbb.jpg

Sunday 3rd Sept. 1995.  (Were you driving her M?)

Q7-DarnholmeSept1995.jpg.2dafef85247931dce3ef31856655a0a0.jpg

P

(Hoping it's not to long before the next visit.  Just had the Jab [Oxford] at 9 o clock).

• Like 10