BRM Poll - How many layouts do you have?

Andy Y

Layout poll  

119 members have voted

1. 1. How many layouts (including current projects) do you have

• RMweb Gold

Reffering to this poll here - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/114328-brm-poll-how-many-layouts-do-you-have/

Wasn't sure how to answer really, decided to put 5, I have 2 layouts retired and in storage, 1 finished and exhibiting, 1 exhibiting but still being worked on and 1 just started. 

As for layout ideas in my head, hundreds... 

• RMweb Gold

Zero, nil, nada, none. But many also in my head but never attempted :)

Yes, we should have another poll of "how many projects do you have ideas for?" In my case about 9 schemes!

Regards,

Nick

I voted 3 and you may think from that I must have a massive house to accommodate 3 layouts, I don't. Westfield is just over 8 foot by 2 foot. Boxford lane is an N gauge boxfile layout well two boxfiles glued together. And my third is a T gauge layout in a small suitcase.

One - which has matured and had it's detail improved over three years - including remaking "better" versions of scratch buildings as skills have developed with time.

But there will be many who are serial constant builders - some of whom wreck the last layout - and some who lean them on their sides in the garage. It will be interesting to hear some of the bigger numbers that get posted. For me the double digit number of layouts planned on Scarm/Anyrail but never built won't count - but that's just my opinion and won't be everyone's.

One - which has matured and had it's detail improved over three years - including remaking "better" versions of scratch buildings as skills have developed with time.

But there will be many who are serial constant builders - some of whom wreck the last layout - and some who lean them on their sides in the garage. It will be interesting to hear some of the bigger numbers that get posted. For me the double digit number of layouts planned on Scarm/Anyrail but never built won't count - but that's just my opinion and won't be everyone's.

I'm doing seven to a fairly basic neat and presentable standard, that I can spend a good few years upgrading when they're all done. All should fit in the railway room, so I can play with operate a different one on each day of the week!

1) Aberystwyth & Rheidol Valley (currently semi-dismantled after a move). Comprises the following individual layouts which can be run separately or connected together:

a) Aberystwyth Mark 4

b) Devil's Bridge - can also be operated from the other side with Austrian stock as Niederau and given Eddie Field's excellent representation of DB I can't see my (much inferior) version being exhibited in its original guise any more.

c) Aberystwyth old loco depot.

"Aberffrwd" has also been modelled as a part of "A & RV Mark 2c" and has on two occasions been exhibited as part of Devil's Bridge. It could also be exhibited in its own right if I were to add a second fiddle yard but the whole thing needs a great deal of attention and again is not up to Eddie's standards. It never became part of "A & RV Mark 3" owing to space constraints and is probably unlikely to be incorporated into Mark 4, at least in the short term.

"Rhiwfron Siding" was modelled as a separate layout with the possibility of incorporating in a future version of A&RV (though it never was) and was exhibited on a handful of occasions. Has been boxed up for several years and with the loading building having disintegrated and the operating bucket system never having been terribly successful, I suspect the next time it comes out of the box will be for component recovery and binning :-(

"Aberystwyth (old) loco depot" was again exhibited a handful of times but was somewhat lacking in operation on its own. It was incorporated into A & RV Mk 3 (albeit in the wrong position geographically) and may well be reincorporated into Mk4.

Also part of the A&RV saga is a diorama of the Rheidol Bridge, which was exhibited along with DB and Aberffrwd at one show and at home formed a part of A&RV Mk3. It may appear again as part of A&RV Mk 4. I suppose with a fiddle yard on each end, it could be turned into a layout, but it would be a very boring one. Currently it's on my desk as a test track/photo backdrop.

Other layouts:

2) The Seaside Layout (see Avatar). My current show layout. Open for invitations to shows in the Thames Valley or Network Card Zone in particular but others will be considered.

3) Wallingford (CWR) - display layout based on the current Cholsey & Wallingford terminus. Usually gets one outing a year to the Kenavon show to publicise the C&WR. Again open to invitations but a rather awkward layout to transport as I don't have a car - though it was once transported a short distance by bicycle!

4) Half share in my father's loft layout. A small part of this was separated once and exhibited. Whilst in theory it could be exhibited again, I think it's unlikely.

I suppose arguably I also have a half share in the joint 009/Minic Motorway layout my father's building as well as so far I have provided an oval of 009 track (can't remember if he paid me for it or not!), several buildings, a tram, the point motors, some relays and some of the Minic Motorways track and vehicles - not that I'm counting! (He's constructed the baseboard, laid and ballasted the track, built a controller and constructed a clever circuit to stop vehicles colliding at a 'traffic calming' chicane!)

Likewise I purchased a lot of items for a layout I and the Boys' Brigade lads have been restoring for the CWR (and have no intention of claiming the cost of the parts off them) - so whilst I don't "own" it I definitely consider myself to have a hand in it.

No idea how many that comes to!

Archived