Making the Hornby King pull a worthwhile train

A recently purchased Hornby Loco drive King just about run in is proving very slippery footed. Our standard load for a 5MT 4-6-0 is 240tons 7 bogies up the 1 in 36. A 4MT 6 bogies, 

The King took 7 with a banker, it was slipping and the banker was pushing 5 and the King pulling the other 2, the coupling was slack between 2nd and 3rd coach.

Obviously the King needs to take at least 7 coaches so does anyone have any suggestions as to improve the haulage.  I am planning to strip out the Tender pickups as a first step, but has anyone successfully weighted one of these?

I haven't but certainly support taking the tender wipers out of contact or off completely as these are very draggy. Reducing tender weight too may be an option. I dislike the 'bearings' for the tender wheels too, much more drag than with axle end bearings and would build new running gear in a desperate case.

The main problem with the 4-6-0 layout is a relatively light motor and gearbox usually right over the driven wheels, where ideally we want all the weight possible. The locations to increase weight while balancing the loco in the middle of the coupled wheelbase tend to be forward and aft. Shaped lead sheet on cab floor and under the cab roof is a favourite of mine, to balance weight added forward. Finally of course, and a natural adjunct to rebuilding the tender running gear, articulate the tender to apply weight on the rear of the loco.

Archived