Redlands MRE at Cleveland

Caddy

My wife and I had a very enjoyable day out last Saturday at the Redlands Model Railway Group's annual exhibition at Cleveland.

Although many of the usual exhibits were there the venue was spacious and the atmosphere very friendly. I always enjoy little Dan Brae with its fascinating track plan and to find a display of Trix going right back to pre WW2 days was surprising. It really is amazing what is around in South East Queensland. A large European layout also caught my eye where pantograph equipped EMU trains actually seemed to be collecting the current from the very neatly modelled catenary system.

There were some good traders present and I was able to pick up some good second-hand reading material as well as some small items needed for the layout.

Also included was entry to the adjacent Redlands Museum which proved to be a great surprise. The dispays were superb and the volunteers there obviously took great pride in their work. The railway display was an eye-opener with an old AEC "Gulflander" rail motor as well as numerous models and relics of the old Queensland Railways. The selection of farm machinery was exceptional with many steam engines "in steam" for the day. The museum was just the right size to enjoy another pleasant hour or so and we thoroughly enjoyed it.

We finished off the day with a picnic lunch down at Cleveland Point, by the old lighthouse and watching the yachts on Moreton Bay. Perfect.

post-3148-0-22729700-1472405285_thumb.jpg

post-3148-0-65313200-1472405300_thumb.jpg

post-3148-0-92493100-1472405326_thumb.jpg

Archived