Bluerail Bluetooth boards

davetheroad

How do you contact the moderators?

As bluerails Bluetooth boards now have EC certification and bluerail have appointed CoastalDCC as retailers and shipped stock I wonder if it would be better and less confusing if the Bachmann Bluetooth topic was relocated from the DCC forum?

DCC is certainly not what bluerail is about. Having it in the DCC forum does not make sense?

• RMweb Gold

Press the "Report" button just below, and to the left of, the "like" button.

This flags your post to a MOD and then something might happen.

Kev.

• 4 weeks later...

While I agree that it really isn't a DCC subject, I think the problem is that the BlueRail Trains system is not entirely a "Radio Control" topic either.

The battery based version sits very neatly here, but the track powered version, which I guess will see the more popular usage, doesn't.

An interesting one would be where to place the Tam Valley Dead Rail system?

It's both battery powered and radio control, but also DCC; using any standard DCC system as the host.

While I agree that it really isn't a DCC subject, I think the problem is that the BlueRail Trains system is not entirely a "Radio Control" topic either.

The battery based version sits very neatly here, but the track powered version, which I guess will see the more popular usage, doesn't.

An interesting one would be where to place the Tam Valley Dead Rail system?

It's both battery powered and radio control, but also DCC; using any standard DCC system as the host.

I think the both the track powered and battery versions fit it very well here, after all the  forum is called radio control !. As a long time reader of radio control topics I know the Bluerail stuff is to be found in the DCC section and anyone browsing the forums would, I believe, expect it to reside in the radio control area not DCC. We are going to end up with Bluerail being discussed in 2 areas which is something the moderators should think about.

Maybe just have a sticky in the RC forum with a link to the thread in the DCC forum?

It is rather a silly situation. Bluetooth control is in the DCC section yet it is not DCC. It should be here and here should not be skulking in the special interests section where no one sees it.

The bluerail boards arrived today, impressive as I only ordered yesterday. My first impression is they are huge, the smaller board in the photo is one of my Deltang receivers I use in my other locos. Bluerail need to shrink the footprint a lot. Luckily the board just fits in the coach I will be using. Next I need to build the battery voltage regulator bits. I intend to use a Pololu 12V booster with a 2S 7.4V Lipo battery.

post-815-0-65092100-1475157447_thumb.jpg

Edit - just downloaded the android app to my hudl. It won't actually work until I have installed a board in a loco!

My first impression is they are huge,

On the basis of that comparison the Bluerail system does not challenge anything. OK for G Scale I suppose.

My cheap DIY system with an Atmega328, and an nRF24L01+ transceiver is not much bigger than twice the size of my Deltang unit.

...R

Early command control "chips" were large and cumbersome. These boards have a great deal of potential for future expansion, and it is early days. Miniaturisation will doubtless follow in due course.

I would have some sympathy for that point of view if there was no prior example (such as Deltang or flying drones) of very much smaller devices.

The "off the shelf" ESP8266 device has an 80MHz microprocessor plus WiFi on a board measuring 16mm x 24mm.

...R

• RMweb Premium

Hi

could one of these boards be wired directly to a power supply and it's output connected to the track instead of one of the controllers on my layout ?

I could then have remote control of the layout, rather than an individual locomotive.

Any reason this might not work ?

Thanks

Roger

Where can we find out more about how to wire this up?

There is more to it than that. :)

I only mentioned the ESP8266 as an example of what the Bluerail people should have been aware of. I have not used one myself.

Google will find lots of ESP8266 stuff. This ESP8266 Forum is probably a good place to start. It is possible to program the ESP8266 with the Arduino IDE but I have not tried it.

...R

• 1 month later...

I just had an email from Bluerail about the latest developments. they have updated the Android and Bachmann Apps plus have developed the technology for connecting to DCC decoders and sound boards.

I was about to write a small review of the board I bought but will now try the new app first.

Thinks - Bluerail controlling your DCC train via radio with either a simple DC, DCC power or/and onboard batteries ! No expensive DCC base stations.

• 1 month later...

Just posted on BlueRail facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/BlueRailTrains/photos/pb.525057407544028.-2207520000.1483833025./1153654561350973/?type=3&theater

This could be the start of something interesting. Can't wait to see the new board in a dcc interface module that can plug into 8/21 pin interface board.  Bluetooth my BWT!!!

Will also require a built in capacitor as on board with larger module. 

(sorry about the facebook site to those of you still spooked by social media.)

• 3 weeks later...

There is more to it than that. :)

I only mentioned the ESP8266 as an example of what the Bluerail people should have been aware of. I have not used one myself.

Google will find lots of ESP8266 stuff. This ESP8266 Forum is probably a good place to start. It is possible to program the ESP8266 with the Arduino IDE but I have not tried it.

...R

as a complete and utter novice, I bought a WeMos D1 Mini as it had an onboard USB/serial converter. It's been an absolute doddle programming the ESP8266 in this format. Future iterations might see it go to a naked ESP8266, but I don't have a great need to save space in O gauge.

• 1 month later...

Archived