Roof colour

Hi all have just started detailing Hornby/lima class 47 FM Blue Pullman Dionysos unfortunately am having problems matching the roof colour  have tried Phoenix P155 roof  grey and railmatch Diesel grey both look far to light can anyone recommend the right colour would be very grateful.

post-14320-0-24764200-1472665017.jpg

post-14320-0-44655900-1472665306_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

That is a tricky question to answer. The light in the photograph has altered the colour of the roof, the first question I shall ask where was the photo taken as it looks like "Birmingham New Street", if it was there is a lot of shaded areas where colours are altered by the shadows in the station area. 

The only advice I can give is to locate aforementioned locomotive in open country side to see how the grey looks.

I hope that is of help.  

There is a lot of information about this locomotive on this web site.  http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_numbers.php?s_loco=47709

Hi Zedcell, I would not worry too much. Your applied roof colour looks very close to the illuminated areas of the original photo, in my eyes. As Trainshed Terry says, there does seem to be a lot of shadow involved, which would make the colour appear darker. Unless you are intending to create a "pristine" loco, no doubt you will be applying some weathering of dirt, dust and grime anyway, which will mitigate your concerns.

That is a tricky question to answer. The light in the photograph has altered the colour of the roof, the first question I shall ask where was the photo taken as it looks like "Birmingham New Street", if it was there is a lot of shaded areas where colours are altered by the shadows in the station area. 

The only advice I can give is to locate aforementioned locomotive in open country side to see how the grey looks.

I hope that is of help.  

There is a lot of information about this locomotive on this web site.  http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_numbers.php?s_loco=47709

Thanks for that terry especially the link.

Hi Zedcell, I would not worry too much. Your applied roof colour looks very close to the illuminated areas of the original photo, in my eyes. As Trainshed Terry says, there does seem to be a lot of shadow involved, which would make the colour appear darker. Unless you are intending to create a "pristine" loco, no doubt you will be applying some weathering of dirt, dust and grime anyway, which will mitigate your concerns.

This one i was planning on a pristine finish as it was kept very clean most of the time  

Archived