Thomas RHENEAS Bachmann USA

Stevelewis

Obviously there are a few things to re-paint or remove and replace, to convert to nearer scale appearance for actual use.

The face can be removed, and new front and smoke box door made and added to the diecast body.

The windows in the cab need brass rims turned up in the lathe. plus hand rail details.

The crosshead in plastic can be made in nickel silver, the side rods look OK as supplied.

The rest is the addition of the black footplate and other black areas. finer details like the whistle etc can be added, along with crew members. The coupling can have the loop removed, leaving just the hook to couple.

Stephen

For those with out a lathe , saw out the middle section, leaving the  base and top, and find some plastic rod or tube of a slightly larger diameter, and drill into the base and top and through  the new middle if solid, and assemble with epoxy with the hole containing a support wire.

The chimney appears in modern photos to have a slight taper, straight in older shots.

One other item to make are the distinct lubricators on the front foot plate in polished brass, and fit lamps and brackets for them.

Stephen

I have a Rheneas in my hands, or rather running in on the kids' layout while they are asleep, pending Christmas and a decision on whether Daddy is going to keep it for himself! I gather stock at Tootally Thomas is very much limited so if you had a pre-order, crack on and pay for it, and if you didn't, get on the blower!

• RMweb Gold

I have a Rheneas in my hands, or rather running in on the kids' layout while they are asleep, pending Christmas and a decision on whether Daddy is going to keep it for himself! I gather stock at Tootally Thomas is very much limited so if you had a pre-order, crack on and pay for it, and if you didn't, get on the blower!

Steve has just posted on NGRM that more stock has arrived so now on the website too. ;)

Mine ran in very nicely for almost an hour, impressively smooth, but is now suddenly starting to get slow, noisy and lumpy in both directions, worst and stalling in reverse, so have had to give up for the night and put everything away. Gaugemaster controller. Freshly cleaned (with a Peco rubber) Kato Unitrack laid on a Tim Horn baseboard. Nothing controversial. I really don't know what I do to deserve this. If anyone else can offer any insight I would be grateful - with them being scarce I don't want to get left without one any more than be lumbered with a dud! Everything seemed really promising as well. Spoke too soon!

• RMweb Gold

Mine ran in very nicely for almost an hour, impressively smooth, but is now suddenly starting to get slow, noisy and lumpy in both directions, worst and stalling in reverse, so have had to give up for the night and put everything away. Gaugemaster controller. Freshly cleaned (with a Peco rubber) Kato Unitrack laid on a Tim Horn baseboard. Nothing controversial. I really don't know what I do to deserve this. If anyone else can offer any insight I would be grateful - with them being scarce I don't want to get left without one any more than be lumbered with a dud! Everything seemed really promising as well. Spoke too soon!

Check the pickups as they fold flat against the chassis on Skarloey, I adjusted mine this afternoon because they it was doing just what you decribe. Have a look at the bottom and if you can't see the wipers against the wheels then that's the problem. At first I thought it was split frame pickup because they had folded flush with the side of the chassis and I couldn't see the wipers. When they stamp them out the 90 deg bend seems to destroy the springiness, a gentle curve would be much better. Same issue with the Farish 08 chassis.

I removed the keeper plate and tweaked them back out and added a slight curve halfway down so even if they fold flat at the 90 deg fold they should remain in contact with the wheels. :)

Just a note though that you need to consider customs charges at this end on that site against the Tootally Thomas price.

I've ordered from several USA model shops (including this one) and have never been charged a single penny in customs charges. Maybe I've been fortunate, but there has never even been a hint of a charge needing to be paid

• RMweb Gold

I've ordered from several USA model shops (including this one) and have never been charged a single penny in customs charges. Maybe I've been fortunate, but there has never even been a hint of a charge needing to be paid

Yup I think you have, about half the stuff used to get through but since RM introduced the new system every parcel seems to get hit regardless of size. :) good luck.

Check the pickups as they fold flat against the chassis on Skarloey, I adjusted mine this afternoon because they it was doing just what you decribe. Have a look at the bottom and if you can't see the wipers against the wheels then that's the problem. At first I thought it was split frame pickup because they had folded flush with the side of the chassis and I couldn't see the wipers. When they stamp them out the 90 deg bend seems to destroy the springiness, a gentle curve would be much better. Same issue with the Farish 08 chassis.

I removed the keeper plate and tweaked them back out and added a slight curve halfway down so even if they fold flat at the 90 deg fold they should remain in contact with the wheels. :)

Thanks for the idea - just had a sneak peek - one of the two on the rear axle looks like it might not be making the greatest of contact but all of them are standing proud of the chassis. Can't do much with it until the children are in bed! The noises, slowing down and what then seemed sound almost like gear-related noises were not encouraging, which is all the more perplexing when it ran better than that out of the box. I've made the assumption that like BachFarish, there is lubricant applied at the factory. Other than an exploded diagram there's nothing in the box about running-in etc. so I was applying the usual hour each way at a moderate speed...

Got mine today (thanks Tootally), haven't had chance to run it yet but it looks lovely. I'm slightly confused as to the livery though as it seems to neither match the original books or the tv show where Skarloey and Rheneas share the same livery. Had they produced Duncan in this livery (based on the TV show vice books) it would have looked more likely albeit still incorrect.

Either way it represents a relatively cheap but ruddy good 009 loco. I'm half tempted to turn mone into Dolgoch's short lived stint as 'Pretoria'. Slightly non PC but interesting all the same

Got mine today (thanks Tootally), haven't had chance to run it yet but it looks lovely. I'm slightly confused as to the livery though as it seems to neither match the original books or the tv show where Skarloey and Rheneas share the same livery. Had they produced Duncan in this livery (based on the TV show vice books) it would have looked more likely albeit still incorrect.

Either way it represents a relatively cheap but ruddy good 009 loco. I'm half tempted to turn mone into Dolgoch's short lived stint as 'Pretoria'. Slightly non PC but interesting all the same

When the characters first appeared on TV, i.e. when they were still using models, the shades of red were very slightly different, but not particularly noticeable. Since going over to CGi, the difference in shade is much more obvious.

Unfortunately, while I'm tempted by both Skarloey and Rheneas, neither of them quite match my areas of interest when it comes to NG modelling. However, I will very definitely be getting Rusty for my agricultural layout. If they ever get around to Duke, then I believe the meme "shut up and take my money" comes into play, regardless of whether it's suitable for my layouts.

I'm hoping they do 'Duncan' after Rusty (i too can't wait for him but hope they manage to deliver in 2018).

As you say, I think Duke would be incredibly popular!

On a separate note I'd be intrigued to see if, with the growing popularity of RTT OO9 one of the retailers such as Hattons or Rails or someone like Model Rail takes the plunge to develop their own OO9 models.

Greg

• Like 1