LE Models

jjb1970

• RMweb Premium

Does anybody know anything about LE Models? I was very impressed by the ETR 231 EMU reviewed in last months Continental Modeller and the price seemed very competitive given the impression of quality and detail evident in the review pictures. I remember the old Lima model of those trains which was also a very nice model (I think it has been re-offered by Rivarossi) but the LE version looks to be a class above the old Lima version. What is it about Italy and model trains, I've never looked at how many companies they have in any detail but just off the top of my head can name ViTrains, ACME, Rivarossi/Lima (Hornby) and now LE Models. And they all seem very good too, ACME make some beautiful models.

• RMweb Gold

I managed to get the ETR.221 and ETR.231 when they were first imported by The Hobby Shop at Faversham (my local hobby shop) and most impressed by the level of detail and running qualities of the models. Fitting a standard decoder was a doddle.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

ACME do tend to be priced at the higher end although some of their releases can be found at useful discounts. Beautiful models though. They are worth the price IMO, not cheap but very good indeed.

Nice to know that chipping the LE ETR models is simple and that running qualities are good. They seem to be a company with big plans, hopefully they’ll establish themselves and go on to follow the path of companies like ACME and ViTrains in joining the established players and offering a wide range of models. I must admit I’m very tempted by the ETR 231.

• RMweb Premium

LE must be a quite young company. Never heard of them while I was living in Italy (already 6 years ago...). The other two newcomers (Vi-trains and ACME) are on the market a little longer and I consider them as almost equal. Lovely detailed, technical at the expected standard. Sometimes the details need a lot of care - you need to know where to touch a loco not to ruin anything...

• RMweb Premium

The ACME Br120 is a truly splendid model, wonderfully detailed, superb shape, super smooth runner and excellent build quality & finish. Given the overall feeling of quality and detail it is if anything a bit of a bargain. Particularly since you can find some good discounts on the model. ViTrains also make some very nice models too for sure.

Given the fame of the ETR 250 trains (Settebello) it is surprising it took so long for somebody to do a good HO model really. Lima did a very good model of the ETR 220 family many years ago but the ETR 250 seemed to be passed by.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The LE Models E646 looks like a cracking model and the price is very attractive for a model of that level of detail. I think LE are probably pricing aggressively to establish themselves and win market share but the result is that they are offering some seriously nice looking models at very good prices. Looking at them it does undermine the old assumptions that OO modellers get bargain prices as these seem to be priced below what I'd expect from Bachmann in OO these days despite being aimed at the high quality end of the OO spectrum.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I took the plunge and ordered an LE Models ETR226, the era 4 version with Rapido Rialto service boards. At the risk of advertising, I bought it from the Hobby Shop in Faversham as they had one left for £240 + £6 p&p, when I looked at shops in Germany and Italy they seemed to be £290 and upwards with postage costs of £14 – 20 so the Hobby Shop was both cheap and convenient as the model was delivered the day after I ordered it.

The prototypes were 4 coach 1960’s rebuilds of 3 car high speed trains built in the 1930’s for prestige services. They were in my view an elegant yet understated design, and the grey/green livery suited them. The 4 car rebuilds do have the slightly odd arrangement that three cars are articulated with the additional 4th car not being articulated.

I have to say that the model is superb. The photographs do not do it justice. There are lots of very fine details, all reproduced beautifully. The lower body side grills are etchings and the pantographs are extremely well done. The interior detail is excellent too. In terms of overall impression, the shape looks very convincing and the finish is first class. I’m not knowledgeable enough to comment on whether the colours are a true match but they look fine to me. Excellent running qualities, smooth and quiet straight out of the box. They have adopted an easy fit DCC socket which is excellent, I really believe it’d encourage a greater take up of DCC if access to the DCC socket was made this easy.

The model is nicely packaged in an attractive box and comes with good instructions and also a sheet giving information about the model (including a limited edition number) which is intended to be inserted into a binder. Even at the full SRP the model is very reasonably priced as it matches the best standards seen in HO/OO in my view (I dare say that some manufacturers might even describe it as “museum quality”, fortunately LE seem to avoid that empty phrase) and even at the higher price it offers fine value, for £240 it was an out and out bargain.

For anybody with an interest in Italian trains, or an interest in older prestige fast trains then I really recommend this model, 10 out of 10 from me

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

For any enthusiasts of Italian trains, LE Models have announced an E626 electric locomotive. If this is as good as their superb ETR220,E636 & E645/6 models then it'll be a real cracker.

Archived