Heljan Churchward Mogul in 7mm scale

steve fay

Not that i was in the market for one, but tender only pick ups would be a no sale for me.

Although unusual I see no real difference between pickups on 6 wheels on the loco v 6 on the tender.

Both would have been a better solution but if it works and I don't see why it would not then the choice is irrelevant.

Norman

Although unusual I see no real difference between pickups on 6 wheels on the loco v 6 on the tender.

Both would have been a better solution but if it works and I don't see why it would not then the choice is irrelevant.

Norman

It's not not so good because a tender has a much shorter wheelbase. Better to spread the pick up over a longer distance and have it on all wheels. For a company like Heljan to scrimp on the perfection of good running is unbelievable. I would love to know the reasoning behind their decision not to put on all wheels.

Mike

Edited by Mike Huxley

I know not all locomotives can have all features but you'd think pickups would be one you'd stick to... Especially since there are wires running across the draw bar anyway. Seems a very odd choice. Probably not hard to add some or a stay alive job on DCC, but for 700 plus notes that's a bit of a downer.

It's not not so good because a tender has a much shorter wheelbase. Better to spread the pick up over a longer distance and have it on all wheels. For a company like Heljan to scrimp on the perfection of good running is unbelievable. I would love to know the reasoning behind their decision not to put on all wheels.

Mike

Hi Mike

Yes perhaps  a good reason; the Mogul 43xx has a wheel base of 7'9"+ 7'0" making a total of 14'9" on the drivers whereas a Churchward 3500 gallon tender is 7'6" + 7'6" making a total of 15'0".  So for practical purposes we can say both the same or the tender is marginally the longer wheel base.

Norman

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mike

Yes perhaps a good reason; the Mogul 43xx has a wheel base of 7'9"+ 7'0" making a total of 14'9" on the drivers whereas a Churchward 3500 gallon tender is 7'6" + 7'6" making a total of 15'0". So for practical purposes we can say both the same or the tender is marginally the longer wheel base.

Norman

There’s always one: Why spoil all the fun?!

I was hoping we’d get a flood of Dapol and Minerva products sold off for being too short.

Hi Mike

Yes perhaps  a good reason; the Mogul 43xx has a wheel base of 7'9"+ 7'0" making a total of 14'9" on the drivers whereas a Churchward 3500 gallon tender is 7'6" + 7'6" making a total of 15'0".  So for practical purposes we can say both the same or the tender is marginally the longer wheel base.

Norman

Norman,

From my last 50 years in railway modelling, I was always taught to add as many rail pick ups as was possible to a loco, and if not possible from a loco, then add them to attached stock. Even if the wheelbase of the tender is longer than the wheelbase of the loco, the more you have, the less chance of poor running. The model may well run on straight track, but across turnouts and crossings this would improve smooth running. So, I still cannot see why Heljan have not employed this time experienced solution on this Loco.

Mike

Can someone please advise when the loco in the form modelled by Heljan would have first appeared? Earlier comments suggest that it is based on lots built during WW1 but no doubt there were later modifications. 

Edited by dpgibbons

Can someone please advise when the loco in the form modelled by Heljan would have first appeared?

Didcot, c 1973.

Everything else is an approximation to some degree, but the Heljan effort is a reasonable depiction of a condition first appearing in the mid- to late-20s.

• RMweb Premium

Has the man at Rails of Sheffield looked to see how many pick-ups the loco has pleased ???

Better still, slide a piece of cardboard under the tender. If it still moves under power you’ve discovered conductive paper so send that with exact details of where to buy it please!

Edited by Hal Nail

Has the man at Rails of Sheffield looked to see how many pick-ups the loco has pleased ???

I have been reliably informed that there are only pick-ups on the tender. Therefore one of my reasons for cancelling my pre order. I will wait and see what the overall reviews of this model are and it's running qualities before buying. Splashing out almost £700 is a big risk if it doesn't perform well, even if it looks good.

Mike

I have been reliably informed that there are only pick-ups on the tender. Therefore one of my reasons for cancelling my pre order. I will wait and see what the overall reviews of this model are and it's running qualities before buying. Splashing out almost £700 is a big risk if it doesn't perform well, even if it looks good.

Mike

The review in Hornby magazine says it runs nicely, on perfectly clean track.

Oh dear. Heljan has cocked up the length of the front of the tender frame.

Well hello Miss Prism

Such language from a lady of your standing; but please explain the perceived discrepancy with the tender frame.

Norman

Such language from a lady of your standing; but please explain the perceived discrepancy with the tender frame.

Well, I had some images this morning (on Hatton's website I think) which have subsequently disappeared, and I can't find anything in my browser history (but then that wouldn't record popups anyway). I'll dig around in my cache to see if anything is still there.

post-133-0-17416600-1548423488.png

Edited by Miss Prism

• RMweb Premium

Is the front of the tender top too far out  ...there is a suggestion to me that  the photo may not be taken fully "square end on" compared to the plan

What caught my eye was the difference at the top of the steps on the Heljan where it the line of it "flares out" at the top ... a change to a later batch of 350 gallon tenders?

R