Princess & King

Stevelewis

Having  been  an  N  Gauge  modeller  since  around  1969  ( on &  off  I model in  other  scales  also),  I am  casting  my memory  back  over  the  years  and asking   on  here  if  I am  correct  in thinking  that  no one  has ever  made  an N Gauge   LMS  Princess Royal  Class  or GWR  King  class loco

I am  posting  this  in  the  Farish  section  as  I believe  they  were (are!)  the  most  likely  to have  done  so.

I have  a  vague  memory  of  the  Swiss  company  Fulgurex  perhaps advertising  an  N  Gauge  King  in  brass  but I do not  think  it  was  ever produced

(Fulgurex  did  produce  Brass  00 or  H0  models  of  both  King  &  Castle classes  and  also   a GWR 2-6-2T  which  were  quite  expensive!)

I am  not  particularly  looking  for   an N King   or  Princess  myself  although  they  would  look good  on  a  largish  N  Gauge  layout! 

I think Graham Farish did a King in their pre-Bachmann days.

As for the Princess Royal, whilst there might not be a R-T-R version, there is a 2mm finescale kit available - http://www.2mm.org.uk/small_suppliers/nigelhunt/complete-kits.htm

I was not  aware  of  a Farish King in  the Poole  days  although  it may  have been produced  when  I  was  not 'doing' N gauge   although  if they  had  I would have  though that  it may have been noted on eBay  as  more or less  everything  that Farish produced in Poole days seems  to  turn up there!

• RMweb Premium

Farish have had a King in their catalogue for many years, produced in Poole and China. It looks very dated now. 

There are currently at least 2 on eBay.

Farish have had a King in their catalogue for many years, produced in Poole and China. It looks very dated now. 

There are currently at least 2 on eBay.

So  they  did   just  shows  how   ones  memory, starts  to  fail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love  those  tiny  bogie  wheels!!

I have often wondered why the "Lizzie" has never found favour as a RTR N Gauge model.

Although only a small class of locos, they were as well travelled as the Duchess and arguably, as they were introduced pre-war have as much if not more scope in terms of livery variations. A very elegant looking loco an a long time favourite in 00 (going way back to Rovex in the 50s) albeit I'm not sure if it is in the Hornby range currently. Also two in preservation.

Could this be a prospect for a future Farish release? I would love to see it, but personally I doubt it unless Bachmann were to introduce it in the 00 range too, which with a fairly recently tooled (and very nice) Hornby model seems unlikely.

Roy

I have often wondered why the "Lizzie" has never found favour as a RTR N Gauge model.

Although only a small class of locos, they were as well travelled as the Duchess and arguably, as they were introduced pre-war have as much if not more scope in terms of livery variations. A very elegant looking loco an a long time favourite in 00 (going way back to Rovex in the 50s) albeit I'm not sure if it is in the Hornby range currently. Also two in preservation.

Could this be a prospect for a future Farish release? I would love to see it, but personally I doubt it unless Bachmann were to introduce it in the 00 range too, which with a fairly recently tooled (and very nice) Hornby model seems unlikely.

Roy

I wouldn't quite describe the Hornby model that generously! I think it was introduced in 2001, and is really not upto the current standards anymore! It hasn't been in the catalogue for a few years now, and I think it could be a candidate for a retool if there was sufficient demand! So maybe there is a possibility of a Farish and Bachmann princess!

Grafar have a modern Coronation class which isn't a lot of difference so I doubt if they would go for a Princess Royal. Slightly smaller driving wheels and slightly longer overall in the case of the Princess Royal I think. Mind you Dapol produce the Manor, Grange and Hall and you would be hard pressed to tell the difference from a few feet away. There is also the Dapol 57XX pannier and the Farish 64XX pannier which are quite similar as well.

I'm looking forward to the new Castle. That looks very nice in the display case and is due about the end of the year. Maybe they will do the King afterwards.

I would like a 43XX mogul which DJM mentioned, but we'll probably be long gone by the time that appears, a DCC ready 14XX and large & small prairie, but best of all would be a 47XX. 

Dave

Archived