Qu. on Book "BR Steam Locomotives 1948-1968" Hugh Longworth

londonbus

Good rainy afternoon collective knowledge of RMWeb. I've recently taken delivery of Hugh Longworth's excellent Reference on all BR Steam Loco allocations from 1948 to 1968. Highly recommended, if quite an investment.

Under the locomotive class are the following columns from left to right. Date of allocation / Notes (if a shed was recoded / loco withdrawn) / Shed Code / Shed Name.

Qu: In the second column many of the locomotives have the notation "I" in many cases multiples i.e. "IIIIIIIII" in red. I cannot see anywhere in this book what this refers to - I'm sure it's not referred to as it's obvious. To all that is except me.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

• 5 weeks later...

This probably shows what I mean better than words....

29377554681_8017ee9c40_z.jpg

Hi, the number of red lines relate to the number of years at the depot it annotates. eg For 63656, the engine was transferred to Barnsley in Dec 1950 and moved to Mexborough in Jan 1960, 9 years. (It relates to the nearest integer number of years).

Best Regards,

Eric.

• 3 years later...

Sorry to resurrect a post from almost 4 years ago, but I'm thinking about purchasing this book and need some advice from anyone who owns it please.

There seem to be at least two different editions of the book available, with a different number of pages and different ISBN numbers. Also, photos I've seen on eBay of how the allocation history is listed in one of the editions differs to the photos shared in the original post on this thread, just showing where each loco was allocated at a number of specific snapshots in time between 1948 and 1968 rather than the full allocation history during that period.

Can anyone enlighten me on the differences between the editions? Do the contents differ as described or are there several different ways of listing the allocations in the same book?

If they are different, which is the more complete?

Thanks

Matt

On 24/05/2020 at 12:17, Matt Ots said:

Sorry to resurrect a post from almost 4 years ago, but I'm thinking about purchasing this book and need some advice from anyone who owns it please.

There seem to be at least two different editions of the book available, with a different number of pages and different ISBN numbers. Also, photos I've seen on eBay of how the allocation history is listed in one of the editions differs to the photos shared in the original post on this thread, just showing where each loco was allocated at a number of specific snapshots in time between 1948 and 1968 rather than the full allocation history during that period.

Can anyone enlighten me on the differences between the editions? Do the contents differ as described or are there several different ways of listing the allocations in the same book?

If they are different, which is the more complete?

Thanks

Matt

A revised copy is due out at the end of July 2020 so probably best to wait for that

http://www.crecy.co.uk/products_new.php?page=2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Justin

You are right, there are two books.  Both out of print at the moment, but the complete allocations history reprint is off to the printers as we speak.  I've got a revised version of the other book ready to go as well, so hopefully this will reappear in 2021.

• The complete allocations book coming out this year has a list of all reallocations for every steam loco from 1948-1968.  This is the book shown above .
  • The steam allocations book shows year start allocations 1948, 1951, 1954, 1957, 1960, 1963, and 1966 in a table format.  It also contains maps showing the distribution of the engines of each class and a list of each shed's allocations on those dates.  The new version of this I've been working on will now be using full colour to highlight regions.

So basically, the first book gives all the full details, while the second book provides overviews and different ways of looking at the data.

Hope that helps.

Hugh Longworth

bra2.jpg

bra3.jpg

bra1.jpg

Edited by Hugh Longworth
Added pictures of second book
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2