Basingstoke to Waterloo Line

ianlei

Hi,

I have just moved to Fleet, Hampshire and wondered if anyone knew of any online sites/groups or anywhere I may be able to find out info of any special workings or freight passing through Fleet?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks, Ian

The access road to Fleet Pond is a pretty good shot as is the footbridge just London side of Farnborough station and Trotters Lane between Winchfield & Hook.

You are also well placed for a little trip across country to Mortimer which will get you to on the primary freight route from Basingstoke to Reading

AS Southernman says, most of the freight turns off at Basingstoke and heads for the Midlands and the North. 

One regular working through Fleet is the Mountfield - Southampton gypsum train. Usually mid-aternoon for the down working.

On Yahoo Groups there is a Wessex Region rail forum, where specials (and more regular workings) are discussed.

I'd recommend going to the footbridge at Worting Jn - now easily accessed through the estate - unfortunately the local NR engineers appear have lost control of the vegetation down at the car parking area near the flyover ............ sorry chaps, it's disappointing to see it so after all the work we used to do to keep it relatively clear ...................

• 4 weeks later...

I have often spent a few hours at Worting/Battledown and think it's a much better location for a spot of observation than the line east of Basingstoke.

Regards

I used to go to Worting Primary school (now demolished) and had a direct from the class room across the playing field to the Basingstoke-Southampton line. Many boat trains and some pretty large freight trains, and mostly steam. Wish I knew then what I know now, perhaps I would have been a it more observant.

Hi,

I have just moved to Fleet, Hampshire and wondered if anyone knew of any online sites/groups or anywhere I may be able to find out info of any special workings or freight passing through Fleet?

The following is a good site for railtours as you can usually get to see some more interesting motive power. The only downside is the site does not filter by location so you have to trawl through by date.

http://www.uksteam.info/tours/trs16.htm

• 2 weeks later...

Archived