Hungarian Partwork

EddieB

Seen advertised during the national coverage of last week's Grand Prix at Spa, "Vasútmodellezés" is a newly launched partwork in Hungary which builds up to a complete HO model railway through regular installments and supplementary purchases.

Following the similar publication here in the UK, part 1 comes with an unbranded coach and (it could be the same) length of steel-railed track.  With an introductory price of just HUF 490 (less than £1.50, even with the current weak pound), I was happy to reduce Tesco's stock at Komaróm by three examples.  Subsequent issues are less good value at the regular price of HUF 1990.

Illustrations show a simple layout, with two trains headed by diesels - an M62 in blue and white livery and a TE109 type in maroon.  While some former MAV M62 class were sold to track maintenance companies and given blue livery, I'm struggling to think of a Hungarian prototype in the form modelled.  I'm guessing it might be based on an old Piko model (which was actually rather good).  Worse still, the TE109 looks lmost like the early DR "Ludmillas" (DR class 130/131), but I suppose with a bit of licence could be imagined as one of the pair of former class 232 locos currently leased by the GySEV in Western Hungary (where they are class 651).

The first magazine has a prototype feature on the V40 1-D-1 electric locos and another on Hungarian railways - the accompanying cover illustration of a Soviet D1 dmu looked out of place, although the article/caption explains that these were export models built by Ganz-Mavag.

As with its UK counterpart, while the coaches may not be the last word in accuracy, they are good value for money.  I don't think I'll be asking my Hungarian friends (one expat models British N gauge)  to place a subscription on my behalf, however.

Issue 2 includes a point and a lineside accessory.  In the meantime, the M62 model and a 14V transformer can be ordered for around £90.

post-10122-0-36333900-1473095517_thumb.jpg

post-10122-0-28190300-1473095514_thumb.jpg

Archived