RevolutioN announce Class B tanks for N gauge

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

I'd be very interested to know just how much the NGS Hunslet Shunter affected the expressions for the B tanks.

If it has made a difference I'm not sure I've noticed! Furthermore it would be entirely unintentional on our part - we'd been looking at some ideas for industrial shunters for some time and the more research we did the more logical a decision it became to pick the Hunslet (slightly larger than some alternatives that we looked at (ie easier to fit everything in and get running well) plus incredibly widespread over a very long period of time).

Cheers, Mike

Hello Ben and Mike,

A month ago I was in my supplier purchasing some pre-orders and I happened to come across one of your leaflets advertising the Class B Tank wagons. I was particulary interested in the top photo of Regent Tank Wagon 345 as this was a photo I took at the SVR Spring Gala in 2010. The photo in question is below.

4411012877_3310045032_z.jpg

Can you tell me please who gave you permission to use the photo as I've never had an email asking if the photo can be used at all? I did send an email on your website regarding this but have received no reply.

ATB, Garethp8873

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gareth,

Thanks, that is very decent of you. It is an excellent photo, and if you have any showing the lettering at the far end in more detail that would be very helpful when it comes to preparing the livery drawings.

Apologies again for the oversight in contacting you about the photograph.

Cheers

Ben A.

Hi Gareth,

Thanks, that is very decent of you. It is an excellent photo, and if you have any showing the lettering at the far end in more detail that would be very helpful when it comes to preparing the livery drawings.

Apologies again for the oversight in contacting you about the photograph.

Cheers

Ben A.

You're in luck Ben as I've quite a few of Regent 345 since me starting back in 2008...

3585863799_50d14bdf8e_b.jpg

3585859741_15ff005b60_b.jpg

5315547445_4f5765db42_b.jpg

5490505184_f5ace75b9e_b.jpg

5522833132_0b655e15fd_b.jpg

5522248757_3c779b38f1_b.jpg

8581593931_1fbedab487_b.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Following the decision to proceed after we reached the minimum order threshold just before Model Rail Scotland at the SECC in February, this model has now been tooled and the first EP sample assembled and sent to us for assessment.

The factory sent this image before sending. It shows the version with revised suspension, and also shows the etched platforms and ladders.

post-420-0-67557600-1491943428_thumb.jpg

There is a slim chance it may arrive in time for us to have it on the Revolution Trains stand at the York Model Railway Show at York Racecourse over the Easter weekend.

Once we have approved it the model can move forward to the painted sample stage and then production. The order book remains open for the time being.

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 18

Hello all,

Following the decision to proceed after we reached the minimum order threshold just before Model Rail Scotland at the SECC in February, this model has now been tooled and the first EP sample assembled and sent to us for assessment.

The factory sent this image before sending. It shows the version with revised suspension, and also shows the etched platforms and ladders.

attachicon.gifIMG_5368.JPG

There is a slim chance it may arrive in time for us to have it on the Revolution Trains stand at the York Model Railway Show at York Racecourse over the Easter weekend.

Once we have approved it the model can move forward to the painted sample stage and then production. The order book remains open for the time being.

Cheers

Ben A.

Mmmm.......might have to see if we can stretch the bank balance a bit further. Very nice  :)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob,

We aren't cancelling any liveries at the moment, but we don't monitor the figures from day to day - we just don't have the time - and right now the priority is getting stuff ready for the York show and after it assessing the samples when they arrive.

And we won't be closing any order books until we are ready to actually begin production. At that point if any liveries do have to be dropped we will advise customers, and offer a refund or allow orders to be switched.

My feeling is that all the liveries should reach them minimum required, though of course I cannot say for sure.

Cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Cheers

Ben A.

Ben,

This looks outstanding. Perhaps a new benchmark in transition era, N rolling stock. Is that Brass buffers? I'm sure these will look exquisite in their liveries, particularly with the etched nameboards.

Glad to see all the hard work has paid off.

Best

Scott

Edited by scottystitch
  • Like 1

Hello all,

Cheers

Ben A.

Thanks Ben - very nice but please can you show us the pic of the N Gauge version :)

• Like 1

I have to agree, having not been on to RM Web since this pic was put up until now, it really does lift the bar as far as transition wagons are concerned. I can't think of another N gauge RTR 4 wheel wagon with quite this level of exquisite detail, there are some that are really good like the Farish Covhop, but they don't quite reach this standard. Great value at the price too.

Roy

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

The first EP samples of the Class B tanks in N arrived today and although there is still some work to do I feel they are an excellent start.

Here are a couple of images; note the separate etched, brass and plastic details, prototypically skeletal underframe and the metal owners plates (not fitted - in front of the wagons in the second image.) On the round Regent version the fine bolts can be seen around the edge - compare these with the photos earlier in the thread.

post-420-0-09441300-1492556604_thumb.jpg

post-420-0-07105100-1492556624_thumb.jpg

There are more photos in the News section of our website www.revolutiontrains.com and a short video on our facebook page here:

https://www.facebook.com/ngaugependolino/videos/1792719060948614/

The next step is for our designer Colin Allbright to check over the models for any errors or moulding glitches that need to be rectified, to assess the running over points etc and then to finalise the livery drawings before moving to production.

At that time we will close the order book, and as ever we will only produce enough models to fulfil pre-orders.

Thanks again to all those transition era N gauge enthusiasts who stepped forward, supported this project, and made it happen.

Cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Ben,

These models continue to impress, I think we are all looking forward now to seeing them decorated with the name plates. That access ladder is exquisite, no other word for it. I think they may even exceed the TEAs in terms of visual effect.

£20 for each of these is definitely money well spent. I have 21 on order, and a block train will look fantastic. It will almost be a shame to weather them!

Thanks for the continued commentary. Hopefully the running and coupling tests will go well.

Best

Scott

I am grateful to Ben and Mike for not giving up on the model in spite of the slow start it had.

Even in the first EP form it looks fantastic with from what I can see everything fitting together perfectly.

I know some views differ, but for me it is exquisitely detailed models like this that make starting in or switching to N gauge a totally credible option for serious modellers, There is simply no way of knowing from these pictures that the tankers aren't 00.

Roy

• 2 months later...

If there was any way that the single 'REGENT' tank could be numbered '345' as per Gareth's excellent photos it would be much appreciated.

...though if I need to renumber my tanker, I can easily cut '3-4-5' from a transfer sheet!!

Really looking forward to this, there is a space waiting in my N gauge Arley station siding.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

The EP2 samples of the Class B tanker have now arrived, been tested and approved by Colin Allbright, our design engineer, and we have tested them too.

They look rather nice with the Class 31 in appropriate livery he designed while at Farish!

post-420-0-58236500-1500806583_thumb.jpg

Samples included both chassis types as can be seen here. Original suspension mounts on the left, revised with additional cylindrical damping block on the right:

post-420-0-78760200-1500806596_thumb.jpg

There is a short video here of them under test: http://www.revolutiontrains.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/IMG_5968.mov

Once we have approved painted samples then we will close the order book and get them made. As ever, we will only produce models to order so if you are interested in these please make sure you don't miss the deadline. The easiest way to do this is to register without obligation at our website and then you'll receive our newsletters that always alert customers to impending deadlines.

Cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 14