S&C Midland style signal boxes

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

As some know, I recently bought the Graham Farish Cumbrian Mountian Express set with included a model of Ais Gill signal box.  I was wondering if it can be used or adapted for other signal boxes along the route such as Dent?  I've seen them split from the sets and I was wondering if I ever decided to expand my layout, getting one or more of them.

Julian Sprott

Midland Railway signal boxes were made up from a set of (virtually) 'Pick and Mix' panels so that many similar 'boxes could be made up very easily. I've had a quick look in 'Stations & Structures on the Settle & Carlisle Railway', but there is no picture of Ais Gill 'box although it still exists at Butterley. There is a picture of Dent 'box which is somewhat larger. I have no doubt that some of the 'boxes on the S&C will have been of a similar size to Ais Gill but it would need more time to sort out which.

Depends how accurate you want to be. Culgaith and Low House are almost mirror images of it, Horton-in-Ribblesdale and Helwith Bridge are very similar. All the MR pattern boxes look similar but some are one panel longer or one panel shorter.

Google them, most have at least one image on line.

I have not seen this model but I would think a bit of cutting and sticking would give you what you require. In the bad old days, I used a number of Airfix kits to build a variety of boxes for my layouts. They didn't look too bad, but unfortunately the panels were not the correct size, so when an etched brass kit came available, I ditched my Airfix jobs. Ratio also do a kit, which looks OK, although the window frames look a bit thick.

Derek

• RMweb Gold

There are differences in detail but the boxes at Bell Busk, Crosby Garrett, Cumwhinton, Gargrave, Helwith Bridge, Horton, Langwathby, Long Preston, Mallerstang, Ribblehead, and Skipton North were substantially similar in terms of size, window style, roof type, step sides, verandas etc. Dent was quite a bit larger.

• RMweb Gold

I have not seen this model but I would think a bit of cutting and sticking would give you what you require. In the bad old days, I used a number of Airfix kits to build a variety of boxes for my layouts. They didn't look too bad, but unfortunately the panels were not the correct size, so when an etched brass kit came available, I ditched my Airfix jobs. Ratio also do a kit, which looks OK, although the window frames look a bit thick.

Derek

Shame that the Airfix kit was never done in N gauge but I'm bidding on the book "Stations & Structures of the Settle &Carlisle" on Ebay.  Hopefully that will give me more information on these signal boxes.

Julian Sprott

Don't get carried away on Ebay. The book was reprinted in softback at some time and I am sure I have seen some recently, probably at Brierlow Bar. Google Bookstore Brierlow Bar for contact details. That book can be a bit dissappointing if looking for signal box photos, they are often in the distance. IIRC a better source for SB photos is a book entitled something like Diesels on the Settle and Carlisle (can't find mine at the mo' of course) which does have more pics of the actual boxes.

• RMweb Premium

For the size of Dent, some Googling suggests it might be the same size as the still present Settle Junction box (which is handily easily visible from the public road). There are some differences (which may be more recent), extra windows and an extension on Settle Junction, but considering the modular nature of Midland boxes there's a good chance the general dimensions are the same, and the differences can be picked up from less detailed photos.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I may be a bit late replying to this but Churchward models made an etched brass Midland signal box in all scales from 2mm up to 7mm. These are still available both online and at many exhibitions from Phoenix precision paints. These kits can be altered to suit many different boxes with a little bit of work. I hope I'm not to late and this is some help.

• RMweb Gold

As per other comments, signalboxes on the S&C were to standard Midland Railway designs - unlike the station buildings which are similar to other routes but have a steeper roof pitch.

If you want to get another box, probably easier to use the Ratio or Churchward kit as a basis. Difficult to modify resin r-t-p buildings.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I remembered that I took these pictures of Oakham station Midland signal box in May last year as it's close to me, so I thought I'd post them on here and use them as a reference for S&C signal boxes.

Julian Sprott

post-9991-0-59673200-1480966682.jpg

post-9991-0-30531900-1480966689.jpg

post-9991-0-89714100-1480966698.jpg

post-9991-0-38043200-1480966711.jpg

post-9991-0-30335600-1480966720.jpg

post-9991-0-79900900-1480966786.jpg

post-9991-0-89763900-1480966792.jpg

post-9991-0-90699600-1480966813.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've recently bought two Ais Gill signal boxes with the thought of maybe adapting them to make a version of Dent signal box, but I've discovered that Ratio do a Midland style signal box and wondered if that it or several of them can be put together to make a decent version of Dent signal box?

Julian Sprott

• RMweb Premium

I've recently bought two Ais Gill signal boxes with the thought of maybe adapting them to make a version of Dent signal box, but I've discovered that Ratio do a Midland style signal box and wondered if that it or several of them can be put together to make a decent version of Dent signal box?

Due to the somewhat modular nature of Midland boxes "probably" is my best guess. I cut down a Ratio one and filled in some windows for Kirkby Stephen (then broke it when I moved house, but I think I could do a better job now anyway).

• RMweb Gold

You aren't too far off with the Ratio box for a model of Dent, it has the correct number of bays so the dimensions should be correct for Dent.

Having spent my teenage years taking photos in former MR country and occasionally keeping warm inside Midland signal boxes on winter days I took a fair bit of interest in them.  Midland boxes are generally known as type 1, 2 or 3, Dent is a type 2.

Type 1 boxes (like Oakham) have windows 2 panes high all round the box (front and ends)

Type 3 boxes (like the Ratio kit) have deeper 3 pane windows all round

Type 2 boxes are a halfway point with the windows facing the track enlarged to the 3 pane size of the type 3 but retaining the smaller type 1 end windows.

I haven't seen how a Ratio box goes together but I would think that it's not too difficult to reduce the size of the end windows and add additional wood panelling below them to convert it to a reasonable representation of a type 2 box.   

The other thing to be careful of is variations in the lower windows, Dent doesn't have any on the front unlike the Ratio box.

Martin

• RMweb Gold

What  about a Hybrid using the old Airfix (Oakham, allegedly) kit using the ends and the Ratio front to give the type 2?

Regards

Ian

Unfortunately, I'm modelling in N Gauge, so the old Airfix kit is a tad large  :P  :P  :P

Julian Sprott

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately, I'm modelling in N Gauge, so the old Airfix kit is a tad large  :P  :P  :P

Julian Sprott

Sorry, Julian, I hadn't noticed the reference to Farish in Post #1.

I suppose a bit of forced perspective a la Stubby of this parish is out of the window, too!

Regards,

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Depends how accurate you want to be. Culgaith and Low House are almost mirror images of it, Horton-in-Ribblesdale and Helwith Bridge are very similar. All the MR pattern boxes look similar but some are one panel longer or one panel shorter.

Google them, most have at least one image on line.

Are the signal boxes really mirror images, or merely on the other side of the track? Steps and toilets are likely to be handed.

Archived