Old style bachman " virgin voyager" DCC Compatibility

Shedmaster 47

Hello folks, firstly apologies if this has been asked before?!! I have the chance of buying from my local supplier an early version of bachman voyager. I am told it will have to be " hard " wired into a decoder to work on DCC?.

Am I right in assuming that I would also have to perform this task for both the non driven dummy cars to operate the lights correctly?? There is not any electrical connection between any of the three cars!!

Many thanks for any help posted

Allan

Hi. You are right. You can just hard wire a decoder in the centre car and run it like that. You will then have all lights on at both ends but , as a temporary fix until you have two more spare decoders, it will be fine. Hardwiring central motot car is as simple as they come. Bachmann have instructions on their website and it is very easy. Once I did get round to fitting decoders in two end cars for lights, I couldn't get the lights to work when using the Bachmann instructions (as, using a four function decoder the wiring didn't seem to have a return) but if you search in bromsgove models voyager lights, their instructions worked perfectly.

Hi. You are right. You can just hard wire a decoder in the centre car and run it like that. You will then have all lights on at both ends but , as a temporary fix until you have two more spare decoders, it will be fine. Hardwiring central motot car is as simple as they come. Bachmann have instructions on their website and it is very easy. Once I did get round to fitting decoders in two end cars for lights, I couldn't get the lights to work when using the Bachmann instructions (as, using a four function decoder the wiring didn't seem to have a return) but if you search in bromsgove models voyager lights, their instructions worked perfectly.

I think I mentioned this recently on a similar thread: If you use the Voyager (and similar Bachmann non-dcc-prepared models) on dcc, WITHOUT modifying the directional lighting, then you may well find the bulb housing melting with the continuous use .... and the bulbs may even reach their life-expectancy since they will be on all the time . in both directions (double the expected heat???)

If unchanged from original release, the PCB is also 'common cathode', and is best replaced completely.  Some firms do kits for this.

A useful product now readily available is pre-wired-surface mount LEDs .... using LEDs of only 1mm x 0.5mm which are a pain to wire without suitable magnification etc, and also fit more easily into existing models than 3mm or 2mm LEDs 8-).  They are available both with and without the required resistor already connected.

Although it is possible to replace the couplings with 'power couplings' (various makes Roco, Piko, Heljvan, V eissmann... with 2 3 or 4 poles... use the 4 pole versions)

the cost of these is about the same as a cheap decoder !  and if you have to separate your coaches between use, then will be at a disadvantage.

(The latest Lenz Std Decoder can be bought for about 14GBP each when buying 10 at a time from Germany - including free postage)

Alternatively - and more awkward still for separating and joining - small JST plugs and sockets are available pre-wired via Ebay ... but these also risk getting in the way of other coach connections.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I mentioned this recently on a similar thread: If you use the Voyager (and similar Bachmann non-dcc-prepared models) on dcc, WITHOUT modifying the directional lighting, then you may well find the bulb housing melting with the continuous use .... and the bulbs may even reach their life-expectancy since they will be on all the time . in both directions (double the expected heat???)

If unchanged from original release, the PCB is also 'common cathode', and is best replaced completely. Some firms do kits for this.

A useful product now readily available is pre-wired-surface mount LEDs .... using LEDs of only 1mm x 0.5mm which are a pain to wire without suitable magnification etc, and also fit more easily into existing models than 3mm or 2mm LEDs 8-). They are available both with and without the required resistor already connected.

Although it is possible to replace the couplings with 'power couplings' (various makes Roco, Piko, Heljvan, V eissmann... with 2 3 or 4 poles... use the 4 pole versions)

the cost of these is about the same as a cheap decoder ! and if you have to separate your coaches between use, then will be at a disadvantage.

(The latest Lenz Std Decoder can be bought for about 14GBP each when buying 10 at a time from Germany - including free postage)

Alternatively - and more awkward still for separating and joining - small JST plugs and sockets are available pre-wired via Ebay ... but these also risk getting in the way of other coach connections.

• RMweb Premium

Hi phil s

Sorry for LONG delay in replying recently upgraded my mobile and lost my password for this site ..had to reset it etc ...Many thanks for the detailed info , but i think i will save time and money and buy a DCC ready set instead .

Thanks again

Allan

If you're looking for a DCC ready Voyager, I don't think they've done one yet.

From the Bachmann website.

Although there is one listed as DCC ready on ebay............ :scratchhead:

Cheers,

Mick

Archived