RHDR Accident?

Edge

Hi Guys,

Just heard on the grapevine that there has been a derailment and five minor injuries caused by an engine having a near miss with a tractor on the line.

From Twitter the loco involved looks to be Green Goddess. Does anyone have any more info?

Hi Guys,

Just heard on the grapevine that there has been a derailment and five minor injuries caused by an engine having a near miss with a tractor on the line.

From Twitter the loco involved looks to be Green Goddess. Does anyone have any more info?

Ok I'm confused how can a near miss cause a derailment!

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Premium

I suspect that (providing the equipment on the line was working correctly) Rick Moderski will be having an interesting conversation with the authorities and his insurance company. 

I suspect that (providing the equipment on the line was working correctly) Rick Moderski will be having an interesting conversation with the authorities and his insurance company.

I wouldn't count on it, previous prosecutions have been a bit lenient, so to speak.

The location looks like Romney Marsh halt, but Google Earth doesn't show a farm crossing at that location- if it is new then would the railway be able to take the same stance as Network Rail and close it or prevent the farmer from having access...? Edit- I've just seen the pictures in the Daily Fail, and it on a long straight section.

• RMweb Gold

I doubt it, the farmer probably owns the rights so there's have to be an alternative access provided. If the insurance is smart they'll make the claim include making the access safe, a crossing with lights and klaxons!

I doubt it, the farmer probably owns the rights so there's have to be an alternative access provided. If the insurance is smart they'll make the claim include making the access safe, a crossing with lights and klaxons!

But that's the point, if it is an entirely new crossing then there aren't any grandfather access rights.

We had a week staying at the Green cottage next to Dungeness Road LC about four years ago, and hope to go back there for another holiday soon. One evening I got talking to one of their drivers as we were waiting to photograph a visiting loco, and quite quickly I gathered that crossing use (and abuse) was quite an emotive subject. If I won the lottery, we agreed the 298 Railway Heritage awards would pay for full barriers on all crossings on the line (and a miniature Bulleid Pacific named "Dungeness"). And perhaps equipping the armoured train with a rocket launcher...

• RMweb Premium

We had a week staying at the Green cottage next to Dungeness Road LC about four years ago, and hope to go back there for another holiday soon. One evening I got talking to one of their drivers as we were waiting to photograph a visiting loco, and quite quickly I gathered that crossing use (and abuse) was quite an emotive subject. If I won the lottery, we agreed the 298 Railway Heritage awards would pay for full barriers on all crossings on the line (and a miniature Bulleid Pacific named "Dungeness"). And perhaps equipping the armoured train with a rocket launcher...

Thats hardly surprising - don't forget they have had TWO much loved drivers killed in pretty horrific ways by motorists misusing the various level crossings. Both motorists got ludicrously light sentences - one of whom was an ex Judge I believe and there was lots of talk in Heritage circles about funny handshakes and looking after their own.

3 August 2003. A train hauled by locomotive No 5 Hercules was in collision with a car at Burmarsh Road level crossing protected by flashing warning lights.[51] The engine driver, 31-year-old Kevin Crouch, died at the scene, and some passengers were treated for shock and minor injuries. The locomotive was seriously damaged and underwent extensive repairs, returning to service in 2005. The female car driver, 22-year old Marie Scrace [52] whose baby was a passenger in the vehicle, had ignored or failed to see the warning lights. Scrace and her baby were taken to hospital, but were not badly hurt. The railway and the Health and Safety Executive instigated an investigation, and the woman was arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving. Although acquitted, she was found guilty of the lesser charge of careless driving.

10 July 2005. A train hauled by locomotive No 8 Hurricane was in collision with a car at Battery Road level crossing near Dungeness. The driver of the train, Suzanne Martin (the wife of the railway's general manager), was killed.[54] Several passengers were treated for shock. The locomotive was seriously damaged and underwent extensive repairs, returning to service the following year. The car driver, 20-year old Richard Isted, had ignored or failed to see warning lights and was arrested at the scene by Kent Police. He subsequently appeared in court charged with driving without due care and attention, to which he pleaded guilty.

Actually, it might not have been the farmer driving, but a contractor. It's harvest time and many farmers don't have all the heavy expensive plant they need to get the job done in a hurry, so they hire contractors to help out. It looks this vehicle may be just that. a contractors tractor, and assumable a driver too. As these are hardly local, it's likely they don't have a clue on local situations like a small gauge miniature railway actually operating regular services. :rolleyes:

But let's wait the outcome of the HMRI investigation, I'm sure they'll have an opinion too :yes:

With full-scale flashing lights and signage at the majority of crossings. This one had at least the red notice with 'STOP' next to the road- it's visible in one of the pictures. BTW, it's RAIB, part of the Office of the Rail Regulator, that now carries out accident investigations. HMRI disappeared a while ago,

• RMweb Premium

Actually, it might not have been the farmer driving, but a contractor. It's harvest time and many farmers don't have all the heavy expensive plant they need to get the job done in a hurry, so they hire contractors to help out. It looks this vehicle may be just that. a contractors tractor, and assumable a driver too. As these are hardly local, it's likely they don't have a clue on local situations like a small gauge miniature railway actually operating regular services. :rolleyes:

But let's wait the outcome of the HMRI investigation, I'm sure they'll have an opinion too :yes:

Doesn't matter who's driving the tractor contractor or farmer still need to respect the fact that the trains on the RHDR are not some fun park ride. 

As some one who knows the railway and some of its staff well, I find the whole attitude of some towards the railway totally sickening.

• RMweb Gold

But that's the point, if it is an entirely new crossing then there aren't any grandfather access rights.

I have no idea on the crossing history, but I just can't see them allowing any new crossings without full barriers in recent years since that first accident, it would go against a known risk.

I've just found out from the FB group "the Real Marsh Watch" it is an occupation crossing round the back of Youngs Builders Merchants, about half a mile east of Dymchurch station.

There's been a number of posts on the Real Marsh Watch complaining about tractor drivers driving standards and always being on the phone.

I've just found out from the FB group "the Real Marsh Watch" it is an occupation crossing round the back of Youngs Builders Merchants, about half a mile east of Dymchurch station.

There's been a number of posts on the Real Marsh Watch complaining about tractor drivers driving standards and always being on the phone.

I think this is the one on Google Earth:-

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Youngs+Timber+%26+Builders+Merchants/@51.0314317,0.9984687,153m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x47dec2404265b9c9:0x170552a66e499ea4!8m2!3d51.030683!4d1.000388?hl=en

It appears to have gates.

These level crossing accidents seem to be something of a habit on this railway.

Ed

People don't take the risks seriously, due to it being a 3rd of the size. Failing to see, it is just as dangerous.

• RMweb Premium

With full-scale flashing lights and signage at the majority of crossings. This one had at least the red notice with 'STOP' next to the road- it's visible in one of the pictures. BTW, it's RAIB, part of the Office of the Rail Regulator, that now carries out accident investigations. HMRI disappeared a while ago,

Nearly. It is HMRI that is now within ORR (which now stands for Office of Rail and Road). RAIB, the independent accident investigating body, is not part of ORR, and may investigate HMRI/ORR's role in regulating any railway where an accident happens.

Archived