Can anyone identify this Caledonian Railway coach?

drduncan

Dear all,

A technologically (or rather rmweb) inert colleague has inherited a part completed scratch built Caledonian coach.  He intends to refurbish it for use on the South Hants MRC layout Hope under Dimore, but as an LNWR modeller his knowledge of the CR is smaller than his ability to post on RMweb!  As I was the one that proved CR though coaches ran daily on the North to West route,, thus causing the problem, he asked me to try to find out about it.  However, despite my web prowess, as a GWR man, my understanding of the CR is even smaller than my interest in things LNWR....

So could you good souls help two finescale disciples find the correct Caledonian path?

This is what he's got:

post-21453-0-02391100-1473586350.jpg

post-21453-0-41722100-1473586350.jpg

post-21453-0-72687500-1473586356.jpg

What we need is:

What type of coach is it?

What are the under frame and bogie arrangements/type?

What are the roof details?

Does anyone have drawings or pictures of the roof or underframe?

Thanks!

drduncan

Dear all,

A technologically (or rather rmweb) inert colleague has inherited a part completed scratch built Caledonian coach.  He intends to refurbish it for use on the South Hants MRC layout Hope under Dimore, but as an LNWR modeller his knowledge of the CR is smaller than his ability to post on RMweb!  As I was the one that proved CR though coaches ran daily on the North to West route,, thus causing the problem, he asked me to try to find out about it.  However, despite my web prowess, as a GWR man, my understanding of the CR is even smaller than my interest in things LNWR....

So could you good souls help two finescale disciples find the correct Caledonian path?

This is what he's got:

attachicon.gifIMG_4803.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4804.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4806.JPG

What we need is:

What type of coach is it?

What are the under frame and bogie arrangements/type?

What are the roof details?

Does anyone have drawings or pictures of the roof or underframe?

Thanks!

drduncan

This vehicle is described in Mike William's book "Caledonian Railway Carriages" which also has a photo taken some time after 1933 and a diagram plan of the internals.  It is described as having been modified from a dining saloon into an officer's saloon in 1920.  As a dining car it was 50' 6" long.  As an officer's saloon it was lengthened to 51' 0¾" (new vestibules, apparently); the photo shows it running on LMS 9' bogies.  The observation end that you have would suggest that this saloon after modification.

This vehicle is described in Mike William's book "Caledonian Railway Carriages" which also has a photo taken some time after 1933 and a diagram plan of the internals.  It is described as having been modified from a dining saloon into an officer's saloon in 1920.  As a dining car it was 50' 6" long.  As an officer's saloon it was lengthened to 51' 0¾" (new vestibules, apparently); the photo shows it running on LMS 9' bogies.  The observation end that you have would suggest that this saloon after modification.

That's very interesting. Many thanks. My colleague will be disappointed...he refuses to model anything after 1907!

Regards

Duncan

That's very interesting. Many thanks. My colleague will be disappointed...he refuses to model anything after 1907!

Regards

Duncan

Unless your friend is a supporter of Northamptonshire county cricket, it is difficult to think of an event sufficiently traumatic as to account for his strange aversion.

Unless your friend is a supporter of Northamptonshire county cricket, it is difficult to think of an event sufficiently traumatic as to account for his strange aversion.

I suppose we all have out little foibles, which makes this hobby such a delight, especially for those watching the cat fights!

Archived