Farish Class 40

TomE

• RMweb Premium

If the last two new Farish diesels are anything to go by then the 40 will probably have correctly sized (1-148) wheels rather than standard sizes. I'm keen to see what the motor/drive arrangement is. Double-shafted coreless motors are quite rare, as are coreless designs fitted with flywheels.

Izzy

Simon,

My thoughts exactly!  The good man can hopefully better the etch grill offering as well .

Poured over some photos in last few minutes and bufferbeam certainly not level with top of side frames so unless model has vertically stretched side frames then buffers look to be low - around half the diameter of the buffer shank.  So if not changed then perhaps an etched front will be required to correct.   

still a good model in waiting.

Robert

Also having pored over photos, I agree that the gap between bogies and body is exaggerated by the fact you can see right through. On a real 40 there is other stuff behind largely obscuring this daylight. If the bufferebeam would be full height the end gap would be far more acceptable. So perhaps a nice mod to make for those who want this - and as Andy has observed have flat track to match.

An etched front would be one way, but something 3D-printed could be another. Or dare we hope for Farish coming up with some alternative plug-in bufferbeams in the box. Ok, perhaps not.

Chris

Thanks to Andy York for pointing out it's got scale-width bogies; now when are Farish going to announce the obvious follow-on, i.e. a new Peak? in the new year hopefully!

Is that really true? As NMRA N gauge wheelsets are wider over the outside faces than the real thing, I'd be surprised if any manufacturer could achieve the trick of getting the frames completely to scale width without rubbing against the wheels. As close as is feasible I can believe and they certainly look a lot better than the Peak.

I have contemplated many times doing some 3D-printed replacement bogie frames for the Peak. I suppose I need to get on with it in order to trigger Bachmann into upgrading the model!

Chris

• Like 1

Is that really true? As NMRA N gauge wheelsets are wider over the outside faces than the real thing, I'd be surprised if any manufacturer could achieve the trick of getting the frames completely to scale width without rubbing against the wheels. As close as is feasible I can believe and they certainly look a lot better than the Peak.

I have contemplated many times doing some 3D-printed replacement bogie frames for the Peak. I suppose I need to get on with it in order to trigger Bachmann into upgrading the model!

Chris

Don't forget Chris that the bogie is 1/148 scale, the track gauge is 1/160 and the wheelset is......?

Also having pored over photos, I agree that the gap between bogies and body is exaggerated by the fact you can see right through. On a real 40 there is other stuff behind largely obscuring this daylight. If the bufferebeam would be full height the end gap would be far more acceptable. So perhaps a nice mod to make for those who want this - and as Andy has observed have flat track to match.

An etched front would be one way, but something 3D-printed could be another. Or dare we hope for Farish coming up with some alternative plug-in bufferbeams in the box. Ok, perhaps not.

Chris

It is interesting that on the old Poole Farish 40 (and its Bachmann variations which used the same bogie), the buffer beam is correctly (per prototype) slightly taller than the bogie side frames.  Not quite sure why this detail is missing from the new EP, but I'm hoping the error is corrected before the model goes into production.

Picture below is of a Bachmann Farish 40 from the second split chassis version batch in 2006.  You can clearly see the taller buffer beam.

post-4367-0-96918800-1473870346.jpg

Matt

Edited by oreamnos

It is interesting that on the old Poole Farish 40 (and its Bachmann variations which used the same bogie), the buffer beam is correctly (per prototype) slightly taller than the bogie side frames.  Not quite sure why this detail is missing from the new EP, but I'm hoping the error is corrected before the model goes into production.

Picture below is of a Bachmann Farish 40 from the second split chassis version batch in 2006.  You can clearly see the taller buffer beam.

attachicon.gifClass 40 Buffer Beam.jpg

Matt

Almost certainly it is deliberate to get that extra clearance for uneven model track. Where you need clearance the most is at the extreme ends of the bogie i.e. the bufferbeam. That is always where the body and bogie are going to foul first.

I doubt very much that Bachmann are using the old Farish model as a basis for anything. They have much more recent and accurate work they have done on their 4mm version that they can just scale down. For example here:

http://www.hattons.co.uk/23507/Bachmann_Branchline_32_480DS_Class_40_D211_Mauretania_in_BR_Green_with_Indicator_Discs_DCC_Sound_Fitted_/StockDetail.aspx

Don't forget Chris that the bogie is 1/148 scale, the track gauge is 1/160 and the wheelset is......?

The track gauge is 1:160 but its more than consumed by the thickness of the wheels. The NMRA wheelsets from Farish are typically about 11.3mm over the faces. The prototype dimension for the same in 1:148 would be 10.9mm. Add to that that Farish must have to leave more clearance between wheels and frames than the prototype does due to wheel slop, and almost certainly mould the frames thicker in plastic than the real steel ones are, and it is going to be over. Although from the look of it not by that much - certainly compared to the old Farish models which left massive gaps between wheels and frames for no apparent reason.

I know it was stated that the model would have "scale width bogies," but I wonder if what they really meant to say was that it would have scale wheelbase bogies.  While the Poole 40 did a decent job of disguising the fact, its wheelbase was way too short because it used gears and wheels that were shared across the whole Poole range.

Have Bachmann released a minimum radius for this model?  In looking at the pictures of the EP, the aforementioned massive gaps between the wheels and frames do seem much reduced.  While the old over-wide bogies looked bad, the upshot was that the models would run just fine on 9" R1 curves or even tighter.

I'm hoping that the smaller gap in the new model will still leave enough clearance to run on R1.

Matt

Interesting chat with someone working at Bachmann, who says they are working to drop the gap and that:

Real gap = 6"

Model Cad = 1.1mm (very very close to 6" at scale!)

1st EP = 1.5mm (0.4mm over).

So it may be that this is corrected - and at very least they are aware of it.

Cheers,

Alan

Have Bachmann released a minimum radius for this model?  In looking at the pictures of the EP, the aforementioned massive gaps between the wheels and frames do seem much reduced.  While the old over-wide bogies looked bad, the upshot was that the models would run just fine on 9" R1 curves or even tighter.

They left far more gap than could ever be needed at all. The wheelsets on Poole Farish models e.g. the old 40 really did not have that much sideways slop (which is what might allow sharp curves to be negotiated) and could in no way approach anywhere near the back of the frames. Perhaps the gap was a left over from the days when N gauge wheels were more coarse and wide than they are now.

Interesting chat with someone working at Bachmann, who says they are working to drop the gap and that:

Real gap = 6"

Cheers,

Alan

Is the 6" for each side, or in total?

Chris

Real gap = 6"

Cheers,

Alan

That 0.4mm would account for the missing step up between the bogie side and bufferbeam. The first EP also has its nose end mouldings sitting too low (the step down is clear at both the top and bottom of the mating edge...but I'm not too concerned about that given the job they did with the 37, that will be dealt with), but when you look at the chassis casting protruding below the body tooling there appears to be room for the body to drop down before it reaches the detail on the casting. I reckon as long as they correct the buffer beam and can drop the body a smidge it should be pretty close, to be honest, I'd be happy if they only corrected the buffer beam.

That 0.4mm would account for the missing step up between the bogie side and bufferbeam. [edit]

Wait everyone.  I'm not sure we are all talking about the same gap.

Was Dr. Al talking about the gap between the body and bogie (as I think Zunnan assumed) or was Dr. Al talking about the gap between the wheel faces and back of the bogie frames (which is what I think Chris Higgs assumed).

I myself understood Dr. Al to be talking about wheels and frames, but stand to be corrected.

Matt

Wait everyone.  I'm not sure we are all talking about the same gap.

Was Dr. Al talking about the gap between the body and bogie (as I think Zunnan assumed) or was Dr. Al talking about the gap between the wheel faces and back of the bogie frames (which is what I think Chris Higgs assumed).

I myself understood Dr. Al to be talking about wheels and frames, but stand to be corrected.

Matt

Having seen the original quote on the NGF Facebook page, it refers to the gap between the top of the bogie frame and the bottom of the body. Definitely a bigger gap than it could be and hopefully it will come down a smidge. It has to be remembered that this is a very recently delivered first EP and was taken to TINGS without any testing or evaluation. Apparently it ran faultlessly both days (from what I have read) and I am sure things like the fan grille will be made to fit better and the nose ends modified (or it could just be an assembly issue?).

Personally with the technical spec promised I would be pretty happy with it as it is but even more so if some corrections were possible.

Roy

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi. I am new to this thread but I am very excited about this model. What strikes me as odd is that Bachman are only proposing to release the centre headcode version in BR Blue and not the early marker disc version Funds permitting I would be eager to purchase both in rail blue livery and would like to think that a split headcode version would follow in the fullness of time.

Mark

Hi. I am new to this thread but I am very excited about this model. What strikes me as odd is that Bachman are only proposing to release the centre headcode version in BR Blue and not the early marker disc version Funds permitting I would be eager to purchase both in rail blue livery and would like to think that a split headcode version would follow in the fullness of time.

Mark

They will do a livery swap in the year following release - it's a common practice on variations within a class - allows purchasers to space their purchases.

They will do a livery swap in the year following release - it's a common practice on variations within a class - allows purchasers to space their purchases.

And also prevents Bachmann and model shops having cash flow tied up in stock that sits around for months or even years. I doubt many of us will be able to afford 2 class 40's at once.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...