Farish Class 40

TomE

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Seen at AP today. Not sure if these are the tweaked EPs but thought i'd post them anyway. There appeared to be a painted sample inside the members area, but impossible to tell if hand painted or factory finished from the outside.

post-1467-0-74417700-1490537877_thumb.jpg

post-1467-0-43935000-1490537888_thumb.jpg

The info board on the side of the stand has them pegged for September/October still. 

Tom. 

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Good idea. It'll add only a few bucks to production cost and makes a sound retrofit a simple matter of plugging in a suitable decoder. And this commitment to sound by a major N Gauge manufacturer should also drive down its cost.

. It'll add only a few bucks to production cost and makes a sound retrofit a simple matter of plugging in a suitable decoder. And this commitment to sound by a major N Gauge manufacturer should also drive down its cost.

Adding a few bucks sounds like it is increasing cost and price rather than driving it down.

G.

Adding a few bucks sounds like it is increasing cost and price rather than driving it down.

G.

The list price announced for the Farish Class 40, with a properly integrated system and speaker installed is just £70 more than the non-sound versions, around £30 less than the price of the sound decoder alone, and up to £50 less than alternative aftermarket suppliers.

Of course, you could argue that this is cold comfort to non-sound users, but the reduced overall cost of sound for the growing proportion of users with sound fitted models is very good news indeed. The fact that this new realism is being developed in N gauge is even more exciting.

In the last couple of years Farish has introduced 3 r-t-r sound fitted models., and in each case the added cost for sound has reduced.

N gauge models converted by third parties have commanded very high prices, (£400-£500) partly because of the need to heavily modify the existing models and partly because there was no r-t-r alternative to hold prices down.

There's no doubt that by creating models capable of having sound or not having sound equally easily during the design phase rather than as an afterthought will be the most cost effective way to achieve the required results.

To that extent at least, spending a little extra at an early stage can easily result in a less expensive product at the retailer.

Kind regards,

Paul

spending a little extra at an early stage can easily result in a less expensive product at the retailer.

Nope, more cost, even at an early stage, will mean higher prices overall not a 'less expensive product'. It may be that the increase is less than expected because the cost is recouped across a wide range of models but, as said, that is cold comfort to many as everyone will be paying for those who choose sound.

But that said the RTR sound Farish products I've seen/heard are impressive and do produce 'sound' on both DC and DCC operation.

G. 

• RMweb Premium

Hopefully they'll eventually bring out a sound-fitted Green Diesel so that I can try sound on my DC layout. Sound-fitted Class 40 would be good but a sound-fitted Class 25 would be even better.

As I will have 3x2 class 25s for the Motorail services from Olympia the idea of sound fitted is very tempting. The class 40 will have to do for the time being!

Nope, more cost, even at an early stage, will mean higher prices overall not a 'less expensive product'.​

I doubt you'll notice. The speaker is only GBP7 retail so Bachmann are probably paying only a quid or two under a volume order. 

Rapids has covered this before, the cost of leaving an item out in a discrete production batch is often more expensive than the inclusion of the part. This was their reasoning behind not making unpowered dummy locos.

Rapids has covered this before, the cost of leaving an item out in a discrete production batch is often more expensive than the inclusion of the part. This was their reasoning behind not making unpowered dummy locos.

That's because the product is initially and primarily designed as a motorised model and to re-engineer it to be something else is obviously more cost (particularly if you are looking to leave something out you have designed, specified and paid for). However, if it had be designed and built only as a push-along non-motorised model it would have been cheaper than the motorised equivalent.

G.

Edited by grahame

• 3 months later...

Hallo,

video of the Class 40 with sound now in YouTube linked from the Bachmann.co.uk website. Model looks good!

Although I am now running the risk of getting lynched I will still ask:   is there any way to turn of the sound on 12VDC? Can the coder be disconnected? Sound is not really something I want/need.

Thanks

es grüßt 

pc

• RMweb Gold

Hallo,

video of the Class 40 with sound now in YouTube linked from the Bachmann.co.uk website. Model looks good!

Although I am now running the risk of getting lynched I will still ask:   is there any way to turn of the sound on 12VDC? Can the coder be disconnected? Sound is not really something I want/need.

Thanks

es grüßt 

pc

Hi PC,

I am not a DCC expert, but isn't the answer that you just remove the sound chip and replace it with the blanking plug?

Cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Premium

Sound can be turned on/off as required. Usually it's via the F1 function key. If you don't want the sound fitted then removing the decoder and speaker would be possible I would have thought, either replacing it with a blanking plug for DC or a plain decoder - assuming the sound decoder is a plug-in type and not hardwired, still possible but just a bit more work.

Izzy

Edited by Izzy

Sound can be turned on/off as required. Usually it's via the F1 function key. If you don't want the sound fitted then removing the decoder and speaker would be possible I would have thought, either replacing it with a blanking plug for DC or a plain decoder - assuming the sound decoder is a plug-in type and not hardwired, still possible but just a bit more work.

Izzy

F1 will not be available to a DC user to turn sound on or off (normally, but see the special Gaugemaster controller) , though if access to a DCC system is available, then, with ZIMO decoders, F1 be turned off permanently for use on DC with a change to CV13.

This will retain all of the enhanced features the decoder brings including excellent slow speed running.

The simplest way would be to buy a non-sound fitted version in the first place, but if this is the livery required, removing the decoder (which has a retail price around £30 more that the added cost of sound) and repacing with a blanking plug is the next most straightforward.

This model will be using a Next 18 plug-in decoder. Not yet common in the UK, obtaining a blanking plug may present problems if Bachmann do not supply them with the model.

Of course, if the decoder is fitted to a non-sound Farish Class 40, the blanking plug from that model can be transfered to the now silent original if necessary.

Here's a link to the video refered to above.

Really good video showing the model performing a variety of 'everyday' duties, the appropriate sounds and the F keys to use.

Bit like a tutorial on how to drive, 'cause no one reads the instructions, do they?

https://youtu.be/Vjwffo3wEjw

Kind regards,

Paul

• Like 3

The simplest way would be to buy a non-sound fitted version in the first place, but if this is the livery required, removing the decoder (which has a retail price around £30 more that the added cost of sound) and repacing with a blanking plug is the next most straightforward.

Thanks Paul,

I will be buying the disc and centre code versions anyway, I like split head code locos (same with 37s, 45s) and the question referred to that version. Seems it will be simply a case of removing the decoder and fitting a blanking plate.

Thanks for the advice!

es grüßt

pc 

• RMweb Gold

I don't use DCC either so why isn't a non-DCC split headcode version going to be available to buy & why aren't they producing a disc headcode version in BR blue?

Hi there,

I was shown one of these models and the DCC sound model works really well on DC so not a problem. Even ignoring the sound, the motor performance seemed exceptionally smooth too.

And even if a blanking plate is not available, it was pointed out to me that the speaker is mounted inside the roof and has two tabs contacting the PCB so perhaps a couple of small pieces of tape could break contact.

Cheers

Ben A.

perhaps a couple of small pieces of tape could break contact.

Cheers

Ben A.

Yes, that would work too.

And for the closet sound fancier or the 'sound curious', completely reversible, so your secret will be safe. LOL

Kind regards,

Paul

Edited by pauliebanger
  • Like 1

And even if a blanking plate is not available, it was pointed out to me that the speaker is mounted inside the roof and has two tabs contacting the PCB so perhaps a couple of small pieces of tape could break contact.

It would perhaps be an option to wire a switch there, to allow sound to be switched off when folks don't desire it all the time - if there's space in the fuel tank to mount this it would permit easy swapping.

Cheers,

Alan