Farish Class 40

TomE

As I am in the market for a split box blue 40 but do not want sound/DCC, will a body swap between two models be a simple option perhaps?

I was thinking of doing that myself John but the split headcode version has cab lights so it may not be as easy as I first thought ?

Easier to swap the sound decoder - I'm sure there will be those willing to exchange you for a blanking plug plus cash

Doesn't the sound class 40 also have a speaker and electrical connections installed as well as the sound chip/decoder? If so won't that also need swapping with the chip/decoder to transfer the sound facility to another livery/body?

G

• RMweb Gold

All of the non-sound 40's will also have the speaker factory fitted according to Bachmann, so it should only be a case of swapping the decoder. 

Tom. 

• RMweb Gold

Doesn't the sound class 40 also have a speaker and electrical connections installed as well as the sound chip/decoder? If so won't that also need swapping with the chip/decoder to transfer the sound facility to another livery/body?

G

HI Grahame,

No, the speakers cost pennies and when designed in at the start it works out cheaper to fit speakers and associated circuitry to every model.

The additional cost of the sound model is for the sound decoder; again the chip itself is relatively cheap the cost is in obtaining and optimising a high quality sound recording of the specific loco and the associated calibration and programming work to ensure that the motor controls and sound work effectively together.

Cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Apparently not. I could have sworn that the highlander set was advertised sound fitted like the 00 version.

I think the Highlander set in N is DCC fitted, but not with sound. A shame!

Cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Seeing it in the plastic over the weekend I was quite impressed, especially considering it's only the first EP.

The one thing that jumped out was the roof grill, even with improved fit, RTR etched grills in N always end up looking chunky. The Farish 37, 47 and Dapol 33 are prime cases of moulding being much neater.

Jo

Drooling over the painted models in the cabinet at TINGS, I belatedly noticed that they now have a moulded grille, which I agree looks better. Something to do with the speaker being a standard fitting hence no room for a radiator fan?

Drooling over the painted models in the cabinet at TINGS, I belatedly noticed that they now have a moulded grille, which I agree looks better. Something to do with the speaker being a standard fitting hence no room for a radiator fan?

Has anyone taken any pictures of them? I can't find any

Spoke to the guy demonstrating the sound fitted 40 at Tings yesterday. He said all the bodies are interchangeable on all the 40s, so it's possible to have the sound in any livery with some swapping around.

Also, he said that they've sold out at the factory, so check with your stockist and get in quick as there'll be no more at Barwell for some time.

• RMweb Premium

Ah but if you want the Class 40 variation that is only available with DCC Sound on board and like me you refuse to have anything to do with DCC then a body swap may be an only option.

• RMweb Premium

Unless the factory sound fitted models just use a 18 pin decoder, in which case all you need is a blanking plug and someone willing to buy the sound decoder from you (send me a PM!).

Most DCC decoders will work happily on DC as long as you don't have a feedback controller or use a Relco type track cleaner.

Steven B.

Edited by Steven B

All Class 40s use a standard Next 18 socket so as you say if you don't want sound you can readily swap out the sound decoder for a standard decoder or a blanking plug.

The sound decoder adds GBP60 to the cost of the standard version compared to GBP90 for a third party equivalent, so I'm sure there will be a ready market for it on eBay.

I asked Bachmann the following question yesterday & received this reply :- 

Very nice but I don't use DCC so why isn't the split headcode version going to be available to buy without sound? I'd also like a disc headcode version in BR blue, why isn't this going to be available either?

photo.jpg
Hello, our DCC sound fitted model will also work on analogue control, producing a range of realistic sound effects to add an extra element to your model railway. Our tooling allows for many different variations to be produced, covering several eras and liveries, so whilst the specific variant that you desire may not be included in the initial release, there is potential for further variants to be produced in the future. Hope this helps.

I asked Bachmann the following question yesterday & received this reply :- 

Very nice but I don't use DCC so why isn't the split headcode version going to be available to buy without sound? I'd also like a disc headcode version in BR blue, why isn't this going to be available either?

photo.jpg
Hello, our DCC sound fitted model will also work on analogue control, producing a range of realistic sound effects to add an extra element to your model railway. Our tooling allows for many different variations to be produced, covering several eras and liveries, so whilst the specific variant that you desire may not be included in the initial release, there is potential for further variants to be produced in the future. Hope this helps.

Farish would not want too flood the market too quickly, there is 3 different 40 nose variants - Disc, centre head code and split headcode. Plus there is plain green, half yellow and full yellow ends on BR Green, plus the 1 style of BR Blue thats 4 liveries over 3 bodies is 12 variants. I don't think anyone can afford 4 at once so they will do gradual releases to cover the era's etc. Chances are next years catalogue will have a split headcode without sound - livery is down to Farish and the disc variant will change liveries again to which one is not known.

So to put it simply be patient and wait

The new body looks very, very good and conveys the portliness and weight of the real thing.  The bogies are not as good as the body and seem too svelte in comparison.  To my eyes, the bogies are slightly too narrow, top to bottom, though that may be an illusion caused by the overscale bogie/body gap.  Apart from that, the overall shape of the bogies is certainly a big improvement over the old Poole and Bachmann/Poole 40 bogies.

I looks like Bachmann really did everything it could to narrow the bogies (side to side) so that body overhung them.  The bogie mouldings look noticeably thinner (and I hope are not too fragile) than the bogies of the old 40 and Peaks, the wheels also appear to be narrower than used on previous models, and (unfortunately) the leaf and helical springs have fairly shallow relief.  Given that the separately applied sand boxes and cab steps stand quite proud of the bogie frames it's a bit of a shame the spring detail was not made with deeper relief, too.  On the light grey EPs, the spring relief looked all right, perhaps because any shadows cast by the spring relief were apparent on the light color.  Painted black, however, the shadows cannot be seen and so the spring relief looks too shallow.

Those are all nits, really.  I'm quite excited that these are coming out and even have all the variants on pre-order with the exception of the disc version, but only because the discs of the disc variant EP were noticeably overscale and I haven't seen a more recent picture.

Well done!

Matt

Edited by oreamnos

The new body looks very, very good and conveys the portliness and weight of the real thing.  The bogies are not as good as the body and seem too svelte in comparison.  To my eyes, the bogies are slightly too narrow, top to bottom, though that may be an illusion caused by the overscale bogie/body gap.  Apart from that, the overall shape of the bogies is certainly a big improvement over the old Poole and Bachmann/Poole 40 bogies.

I looks like Bachmann really did everything it could to narrow the bogies (side to side) so that body overhung them.  The bogie mouldings look noticeably thinner (and I hope are not too fragile) than the bogies of the old 40 and Peaks, the wheels also appear to be narrower than used on previous models, and (unfortunately) the leaf and helical springs have fairly shallow relief.  Given that the separately applied sand boxes and cab steps stand quite proud of the bogie frames it's a bit of a shame the spring detail was not made with deeper relief, too.  On the light grey EPs, the spring relief looked all right, perhaps because any shadows cast by the spring relief were apparent on the light color.  Painted black, however, the shadows cannot be seen and so the spring relief looks too shallow.

Those are all nits, really.  I'm quite excited that these are coming out and even have all the variants on pre-order with the exception of the disc version, but only because the discs of the disc variant EP were noticeably overscale and I haven't seen a more recent picture.

Well done!

Matt

Hi Matt,

Looking at pictures of the prototype I can see what you mean about the lack of relief on the coil and leaf springs, they do seem a little shallow, but perhaps that's looking at a photo that's quite blown up in size, I don't know? From the photos of real 40's the springs often seemed to have gathered surface rust and scale very quickly, so I think that an application of rust colour might help bring them out against the bogie sides, which will remain black, or slightly weathered.

Still, I agree it looks like a massive improvement on the original Farish offerings and looking forward to my two arriving in the post.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by MR PJ