Farish Class 40

TomE

Mine's quite slow too & the tail lights have already stopped working in one direction, trouble is I've painted the nose ends yellow so I guess the warranty will be void :-/

Yes, mine runs much slower than any other Farish loco too.

Is this a fault or are they all like it?

Similarly, mine is very slow and needs close to full power to get it to run reliably from "cold". Once it has run for a bit the speed improves and I can turn the power down, but even then it needs at least 50% and is slower than any other Farish locos.  I'd been hoping that it just needed more running in, but its had about 4 hours hours over the last 3 days now with no discernible improvement.  More ominously it has cut out on a couple of occasions and refused to budge (lights off too) until another loco was put on the same track, whereupon the 40 immediately came back to life.  It's not a power supply issue, and I've not come across that particular behaviour before on an unchipped loco.  If the slowness is a characteristic of them all then I can live with that, but if I can't get to the bottom of the cutting out problem it'll be going back whence it came, unfortunately.

Beautiful model though - I hope they can improve the running for future batches.

Yes, mine runs much slower than any other Farish loco too.

Is this a fault or are they all like it?

I thought it was trying to be prototypical, all other Type 4s (and even Class 37s) normally being seen as more sprightly.

• Like 2

N gauge devised model of the year in my opinion.

Top notch, and captures the original pretty much perfectly.

Can’t wait for my sound ones

I now have both green versions and the blue one. They are slow runners so far so it seems a general problem. They do seem to get faster with a bit of warming up.

Appearance of this model is excellent. One of the best diesels in N gauge ....perhaps the best considering the fitting of a speaker as standard ?

Mine seems to be ok - I think that these days Farish gear their locos for more controllability at lower speeds, that being said, I go to exhibitions and see beautiful exhibition layouts spoiled by trains being run at a scale 150mph. has anyone actually measured the top speed of the class 40 in scale? I think they might be surprised.

Regards,

Alex

• Like 2

maybe changing the cv settings can get faster running?

my trains only run on my layout with a line top speed of 60 mph so it doesn't bother me but maybe for west coast mainline or something more speed needed!

it not the smoothest runner yet but only run for 1 hour total. Dapol locos I have got recently run smoother out the box I noticed.

Tim

Data posted over at the NGF (for a DC version, presumably) suggests that the scale top speed is a realistic 85mph but that the throttle response is distinctly non-linear, with 50% throttle giving only 27mph. This means you get a finer throttle response at shunting speeds. I set up my DCC locos in a similar way using a speed curve. 

• RMweb Premium

Another grumble with my D211 is the lack of cast nameplates, if Dapol can fit them to their class 52's then surely Farish should make an effort to fit their loco's with them now the price is generally well over £100 per model.

Does anyone know of a manufacturer of cast nameplates for class 40's? I used to have a set many years ago on one of my old Farish loco's but no one seems to produce them anymore :-/

http://www.precisionlabels.com/class402.html?

These might be a suitable substitute.

Farish stopped supplying etched nameplates a while back - when the 37/4s were released I think. It’s a shame as we got etched br arrows and depot plaques where suitable too. Judging by the jaunty angle my 33’s nameplates came supplied I’m not sure Dapol have it right anyway ha ha! That was a test of nerve gently prising those off to refit.

Chipped my 40 yesterday, the body is tight and you have to be brave(!) but follow the instructions and you’ll be fine. Love the fact the tail lights are separately controllable and although I think wasn’t fussed with a cab light it looks good. Supplied detailing parts look the biz (once you’ve decided what age your 40 is as to what to fit) and I only hand to open our one if the predrilled holes to get on of the hoses to fit.

Wierd thing is I’m finding I have to hold the function button down to get the cab light to stay on, rather than he function being on/off. Anyone else got this? I’ve used the Next18 decoder Bachmann have released alongside this model. I know the cab might wouldn’t be on when the engine is in motion but I might want to park it with the cab light on and leave it on!

Edited by jonas

Wierd thing is I’m finding I have to hold the function button down to get the cab light to stay on, rather than he function being on/off. Anyone else got this? I’ve used the Next18 decoder Bachmann have released alongside this model. I know the cab might wouldn’t be on when the engine is in motion but I might want to park it with the cab light on and leave it on!

Sounds like your DCC controller is set to 'momentary' rather than latching on the F key which operates your cab light. F key 2 by any chance?

Paul

Sounds like your DCC controller is set to 'momentary' rather than latching on the F key which operates your cab light. F key 2 by any chance?

Paul

That’s right Paul! It’s a Prodigy Express - anything I can do?

That’s right Paul! It’s a Prodigy Express - anything I can do?

I'm not sure if the Prodigy has the option to change to suit but you can remap Function Output 2 to a different F key.

Try this.

CV430 = 9

CV432 = 2

CV434 = 2

This will put the cab light control on to F key 9 (you can change the value in CV430 to the number of the F key you would prefer, remembering that other functions will already be assigned to several F keys by default. F key 9 should avoid these).

Good luck.

Paul