Farish Class 40

TomE

Why hasn't 40 159 got orange jumper cables like the others have?

Because at the time it is portrayed as the model its multiple working equipment was removed.

The jumpers should be in the bag of bits for those that wish to renumber or backdate to when it did have multiple working fitted.

HTH

Scott

I was given 40159 & D369 for Christmas. 40159 has a decent turn of speed and although not as fast as other BachFarish diesels I prefer its gearing. However, D369 is very, very slow, even on full power. OK for heavy freight but useles for passenger turns.

I wonder why there is such a significant difference.

I was given 40159 & D369 for Christmas. 40159 has a decent turn of speed and although not as fast as other BachFarish diesels I prefer its gearing. However, D369 is very, very slow, even on full power. OK for heavy freight but useles for passenger turns.

I wonder why there is such a significant difference.

Check for grease in the drivetrain, and that the pickups are not excessively tight on the wheel backs

I cleaned all the grease off the bogies on my blue one and reset a couple of the pickupsand the top speed immediately jumped up, and the current consumption dropped by 15-20mA - a significant amount when it was running on just under 100mA before doing this.

Cheers,

Alan

• RMweb Premium

My 40141 arrived yesterday....just had a ‘play’.....sorry testing session this morning. All works fine excellent sounds etc.....

However being a DCC novice and DCC sound virgin I’ve obviously done something. All the sounds are now very quiet and the loco will not move. I’m using a Digitrax Zephyr. Is there a way of resetting the decoder back to factory settings or something even easier?

Restoring to factory settings should be covered in the instructions, I think the CV you need to look for is 8, this and the value should be in the table they supply but I don't profess to be an expert so you may prefer to wait for someone more experienced in such things to respond.

Roy

• RMweb Premium

thank you, Digitrax Manual says refer to decoder instructions for reset, nothing like that with the loco though.

I have managed to crack the problem F7 speedlock was on. The sounds are back up as I was using F27 and F28 button wrongly. Thought you just held it down but it’s touch on touch off!

All systems go now.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mine landed and as the good doctor says cleaning the grease back to minimal levels makes a great improvement.  running on DC it sounds great - hauling 16 up Shap sort of thing. When power reduced the lovely singsong whistle is very good. Even more fun was after about 15 seconds under power ramps back up. Down to a few volts and motor stops but you get sound still. Power off gives silence rather than plant wind down. Start up is very good.

After an hour it is merrily crawling round my test layout with 10-12" curves, code 80 setrack curved points and code55 med rad live fogs.

Lighting is very good on DC split box lights a warm yellow perhaps a bit bright but still all part of the fun , well done Farish folk. I cannot wait to have a model train to work day ! 1st Jan next time at work now so it will get a good run in.

Robert   

• RMweb Gold

My 40141 arrived over Christmas so I've only just had chance to have a proper look at it, and I have to say, wow! 

It really captures the size & bulk of the 40, something that is not that easy to achieve in N Gauge. The bogie gap is a non-issue unless you are looking directly side on to the model, and there aren't that many layouts where that is the viewing angle. 

I haven't had chance to play with all of the sound features yet, but even as it runs in around a Kato oval it's obvious they are just as good as the Castle. 

For me, Bachmann are really nailing it at the moment, in terms of detail, finish, running quality and now sound. 

post-1467-0-76037500-1514902273_thumb.jpg

post-1467-0-15302900-1514902309_thumb.jpg

post-1467-0-45519800-1514902356_thumb.jpg

Tom. 

• Like 5

Why hasn't 40 159 got orange jumper cables like the others have?

40159 lost its MW gear between May 1981 and Dec 1981.

Looking back at my Platform 5 collection...

Before May 1981 40159 was xb (dual brakes, steam heating boiler) and allocated to HA Haymarket.

After Dec 1981 40159 was xin (dual brakes, boiler isolated, not equipped with MW) allocated to LO Longsight.

40159 was withdrawn during 1983.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It seams strange that the sound fitted class 40s are so hard to find.

Have Farish produced fewer of the DCC sound class 40's than the other models? Or have they only released part of the batch with others to follow?

Steven B.

Have Farish produced fewer of the DCC sound class 40's than the other models? Or have they only released part of the batch with others to follow?

Steven B.

it's quite common for manufacturers to misjudge demand for new products, given that 40141 is the only sound model, as well as the only N gauge split-headcode 40 (ever). Often you see after a few months price reductions on specific models a few months later when they got it wrong in the other direction.

Perhaps there are more on a boat somewhere.

hello,

I'm looking for a class 4 with sound, but I have no idea where to look for it  as I do not live in the UK.

Anybody with a tip where I could find it??

Thank you

Paul

Google "Farish 371-183DS" and go through the links, the model centre have them as do Cheltenham Model Centre, not sure how each does for international deliveries though.

Steven B.

I can imagine part of the problem is the models landed just before Christmas and only certain shops were open to list them online, and of course some people will have bought this 40 because they want a sound one (like me, would have preferred Blue or Green central headcode with sound), some will have bought it because they want a split headcode blue 40 and will sell the sound chip. Others will have bought it to take the sound chip out to put in another model. So that's 3 groups of people who will have been after one batch of models, bound to outstrip supply.

I can imagine part of the problem is the models landed just before Christmas and only certain shops were open to list them online, 

It never appeared on Hattons under new releases as they sold out their allocation on pre-orders.

This suggests it was eagerly awaited and possibly less than the usual 504 were made.

hello,

I'm looking for a class 4 with sound, but I have no idea where to look for it  as I do not live in the UK.

Anybody with a tip where I could find it??

Thank you

Paul

Y0u  could  try  ARCADIARAIL in Oldham  but  as  its  a  one man business  it  is  best  to  telephone  if  you  can  the   number  is  44706882900  that   includes  the  area  code  for  the  UK

Tim did  have  a few  left a few days  ago

• RMweb Gold

The sound fitted Castle & 40 do appear to have been very popular, perhaps because it is something new to N Gauge and also because it is a relatively cheap way to get into DCC sound. The £60-£70 premium for the sound fitted models is excellent value when you consider aftermarket sound decoders usually retail around the £100 mark. That, plus the high quality of the sound recordings probably explains the high demand.

I grow more and more impresssed with the 40 every time I look at it, to the point where I’m now seriously considering building a small 80s layout so I can justify a couple more!

It will be a hard choice between this and the Castle for N Gauge model of the year.

Tom.

Edited by TomE

Re  Class  40  SOUND  availability  just been  speaking  to  Tim  at  Arcadia  he  now  has  just  2  left in  stock,  another  one  was  sold  earlier  today  and  is  due to be sent  to  foreign  parts!