Farish Class 40

TomE

Make sure it isn't old stock of one of the old tooling ones though.

Being split headcode, it can only be new tooling......however.

As it was released as a sound fitted model only, make sure the DCC18 chip has not been removed and replaced with a blanking chip.

I did this with one of mine and moved the sound chip to a centre headcode version.

Later,

Stu from EGDL.

• 1 month later...

anyone having problems running on DCC ?

i can get sound out it but no movement and the lights only working on one end 

i am a first time DCC novice so no doubt doing something wrong

i am using the DCC controller out the The Highlander Trainset

Cheers

john

I am not sure how well that controller will work with DCC sound and the extra functionality of a Next 18 decoder, It is very basic.

I run a Gaugemaster Prodigy Advance and my 40s with Zimo sound chips are excellent on that.

A more knowledgeable person than me will doubtless advise.

Regards

Roy

I am not sure how well that controller will work with DCC sound and the extra functionality of a Next 18 decoder, It is very basic.

I run a Gaugemaster Prodigy Advance and my 40s with Zimo sound chips are excellent on that.

A more knowledgeable person than me will doubtless advise.

Regards

Roy

yeah very basic controller 

just strange why theres no movement

move on DC fine

Make sure the decoder is fully seated, the next18 can be a little finicky, when I first fitted my zimo decoder the loco was dead, tested the decoder on my decoder tester and all was working fine, put it back in the loco and this time it worked without an issue. Remove and re-seat it.

Watch out getting the body of as some have reported issues doing that, although mine just popped of like all my other Farish diesels.

Paul

Edited by Paul-H

Make sure the decoder is fully seated, the next18 can because little finicky, when I first fitted my zimo decoder the loco was dead, tested the decoder on my decoder tester and all was working fine, put it back in the loco and thisctime it worked without an issue. Remove and re-seat it.

Watch out getting the body of as some have reported issues doing that, although mine just popped of like all my other Farish diesels.

Paul

seems to be working now sort of

in one direction only thou

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

If anyone is having derailment issues with their 40, have a look at N-gauge forum, train surgery, Farish Class 40 derailment problems. If you don't have access, the answer is to weight the top of the NEM pocket,  which is right over the pony axle.

• RMweb Premium

If anyone is having derailment issues with their 40, have a look at N-gauge forum, train surgery, Farish Class 40 derailment problems. If you don't have access, the answer is to weight the top of the NEM pocket,  which is right over the pony axle.

More testing--still problems on both my 40s.

• 2 years later...

Hi all. Help please. I have Farish class 40 D369 model which appears not be taking any power - no lights  - nothing. Any ideas to what this could be be - I'm not the most gifted in technicalities. It has always been impressively slow even at full speed but this time it has just died. 

Thanks

Steve

• 3 months later...

I thought it was best to share this here rather than start a new thread. I haven’t posted here in a long while but wow I love this farish 40012 Aureol and thought some might like to see it running. It’s incredible ! 

Cheers Rob :)

• Like 8

On 21/04/2021 at 12:02, woodenhead said:

I always thought the old 40s were nice, but the video offered a nice side by side

image.png.fbb56b9aa5346178014d9e02253db7e8.png

The old one is pretty good considering I can try and take come side by side shots if you like. I’m not sure how to upload photos to here these days. What the best free photo host these days hmm

Just now, Rob Hayes said:

The old one is pretty good considering I can try and take come side by side shots if you like. I’m not sure how to upload photos to here these days. What the best free photo host these days hmm

I can remember the old ones, only got rid of mine about 4 months ago.

Picked up a new centre headcode one in December and I've just received 012 in the post today.

At some point I will get a split headcode as well to make up the trio.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

I can remember the old ones, only got rid of mine about 4 months ago.

Picked up a new centre headcode one in December and I've just received 012 in the post today.

They are wonderful locos. I’d like the split box version also. I hope they do another blue one like it soon. The old 40 is still a great loco though and my two shall stay as they are are great runners. 

On 22/04/2021 at 12:40, woodenhead said:

A few months ago, BR Lines had 40141 bodies...looks like they're all gone. 

Is the name plate correct on this release? or does it depict an unofficial painted one by depot staff?

40012.JPG

• Thanks 1

Thanks for that.

Looking through a couple of books, It was 40012 which came down to Southampton with a freight liner on 12th April 1984.

I remember that day, just stepping off the school bus around 4pm at Winchester and seeing the class 40 heading back north with another liner. I had to wait nearly a month for the next copy of Rail Enthusiast and look in the yellow pages which listed the recent rare workings to find out what number it was.

Luckily CJ Marsden's wife got the pic at Northam level crossing. The pic on this day shows the painted nameplate, front end number and all discs removed from the number 2 end.

Picked up my model today. Put a little drop of Peco lube on the motor bearings and she runs sweet. 

Managed to find a 25225 in a shop up in Scotland - seems to have sold out everywhere else.

Ordered Friday, delivered this morning - just like the new Forties there is a variation in the matt / gloss finishes between the two class 25/2s I now own.

Two different production lines?

• Agree 1