Farish Class 40

TomE

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Marke said:

I think this is a beautiful model and pleased to see that Farish have reverted to using the satin finish rail blue rather than the matt finish used on the initial release of the class 40s. 

C9447069-70A4-47DA-81CF-14CA81E39BF0.jpeg

I think it looks very similar to the finish achieved by Gateshead depot on 40057 and 40084 for railtour duties in 1982. I’m very much looking forward to the one that’s making slow progress on its journey from Kernow Model Railway Centre to my house.

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Like 1

Had a quick look in the Platform 5 books to see 40012's last days history...

Not much variation but did lose it's MW gear between May and Dec 1982.

Working boiler right to the end.

10 Nov 1979 xb KD

17 May 1980 xb KD

01 Jan 1981 xb KD

01 May 1981 xb KD

01 Dec 1981 xb KD

17 May 1982 xb KD

01 Dec 1982 xbn KD

16 May 1983 xbn KD

31 Dec 1983 xbn KD

11 May 1984 xbn KD

01 Jan 1985 xbn KD withdrawn 08.02.82

20 May 1985 xbn CD 97407 reinstated for Crewe Station Remodelling 20.05.85

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, woodenhead said:

With the batch of Forties delivered, Farish need to move on to the other 1-Co-Co-1 loco again

I assume you mean the Peak, not the Bulleid! 

If only they'd announce them in advance--I don't mind a wait--but someone else could take the opportunity and dive in.

9 hours ago, Crepello said:

I assume you mean the Peak, not the Bulleid! 

If only they'd announce them in advance--I don't mind a wait--but someone else could take the opportunity and dive in.

They've been missing for quite a bit along with the old 25 so next up for diesels is either a Peak or a 25/2 - they will announce shortly before delivery as is the way now with Bachmann so once they tell us they won't be far away.  As I see it, they have the Next18 Chassis for a Peak, the effort will be in adding lights, the speaker and doing a sealed marker lights version, perhaps we will even see a split headcode.  The 25 will be a chassis change to make space for a speaker, it will be just my luck that now I've just purchased another 25 along will come a sound ready chassis.

But it's all supposition, until they announce something it's not happening.

Edited by woodenhead
luck for look

Can I ask a couple of things re this fantastic looking model? Doesn't the sound version arrive with the decoder already in place- or is it separate for the owner to fit themselves? If running it in on an analogue oval as I would be, can this be done with the decoder already in place or does the running in have to happen with the chip still not fitted? I always thought the latter for all models but having seen the instructions, it seems to suggest with he chip in place, the loco can run on DC without any issue..

Thanks for any advice.

1 hour ago, Colossus said:

Can I ask a couple of things re this fantastic looking model? Doesn't the sound version arrive with the decoder already in place- or is it separate for the owner to fit themselves? If running it in on an analogue oval as I would be, can this be done with the decoder already in place or does the running in have to happen with the chip still not fitted? I always thought the latter for all models but having seen the instructions, it seems to suggest with he chip in place, the loco can run on DC without any issue..

Thanks for any advice.

I've just placed my sound fitted class 31 on a dc test track - wow, it reacts like DCC - engine start up and delay whilst the motor sounds spool up, very clever.

So yes, you can test on DC with the sound chip in situ.

Edited by woodenhead

• RMweb Premium

The sound decoder is factory fitted so no need to mess with it.

You can test/run-in/run on DC without any problems, and as woodenhead mentions you'll get some of the sound effects.

It's generally recommended that you avoid controllers with feedback or PWM and disconnect any Relco type track cleaners when running DCC fitted locos from a DC controller.

Steven B.

1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

I've just placed my sound fitted class 31 on a dc test track - wow, it reacts like DCC - engine start up and delay whilst the motor sounds spool up, very clever.

So yes, you can test on DC with the sound chip in situ.

Thanks Woodenhead, good to know.

50 minutes ago, Steven B said:

The sound decoder is factory fitted so no need to mess with it.

You can test/run-in/run on DC without any problems, and as woodenhead mentions you'll get some of the sound effects.

It's generally recommended that you avoid controllers with feedback or PWM and disconnect any Relco type track cleaners when running DCC fitted locos from a DC controller.

Steven B.

I've just taken delivery of mine (D 248) and what looks just like a decoder to my untrained eye is in a bag, separate to the loco and separate to the accessories. I happily confess I thought that WAS the decoder, but assume that's the blanking plate and the decoder is already in situ. Thanks Steven.

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

I was quite impressed by the DC sound option - almost gives a reason for someone like @Clive Mortimore to invest in DCC locos whilst staying firmly DC.  Didn't expect there to be a delay between the turning on the power, the loco firing up then slowly accelerating away.

Sorry to all you N gauge modellers but as Woody has brought me into the conversation I would like to reply. Why would I want to have noisy trains running when listening to Korean Punk Girl bands is far more fun when driving model trains. 

Again sorry for the thread drift.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

18 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Sorry to all you N gauge modellers but as Woody has brought me into the conversation I would like to reply. Why would I want to have noisy trains running when listening to Korean Punk Girl bands is far more fun when driving model trains. 

Anyone remember Shonen Knife?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

They sound exactly like the Fell diesel :lol:

• Like 2

Just spent a happy half hour trying to program a 25 with a Rails chip before I fit the sounder decoder to 012.

I kept remapping the address and saving, but the loco would not run unless I reset it to 3 - then I remembered, you have to write to the chip before you save DOH.

Well at least I remembered before I up a sound decoder.