Farish Class 40

TomE

Mine arrived yesterday from Sheffield having been held at the PO for a few days - I don't use DCC, but even on DC the sound is just amazing!! I wasn't expecting much given the tiny size of the speaker in an n-gauge model and the fact that with DC the sound options are limited, but WOW is an understatement! If Farish produce more sound-fitted models that work on DC I shall be flexing the credit card again for sure! It seems an incredible bargain - a fantastic model of a class 40 and with a sound chip and a speaker, all for less than £200! Great stuff Graham Farish! 

Mine arrived yesterday from Sheffield having been held at the PO for a few days - I don't use DCC, but even on DC the sound is just amazing!! I wasn't expecting much given the tiny size of the speaker in an n-gauge model and the fact that with DC the sound options are limited, but WOW is an understatement! If Farish produce more sound-fitted models that work on DC I shall be flexing the credit card again for sure! It seems an incredible bargain - a fantastic model of a class 40 and with a sound chip and a speaker, all for less than £200! Great stuff Graham Farish! 

Just  for  info  all class  40s  have  a  speaker   pre  fitted, so  that simply  fitting  a NEXT 18  sound decoder in a  non sound  40 is  all that  is  required to make it  a  sound version

I transferred  a  sound  decoder  from  40141  into   a Green 40,  it  took  around  5  minutes total  to  do!  Unfortunately  the  planned  layout has been put on  hold ( its  a friends) so  the  green  40 may find  its  way onto eBay  shortly!

• 2 weeks later...

Because at the time it is portrayed as the model its multiple working equipment was removed.

The jumpers should be in the bag of bits for those that wish to renumber or backdate to when it did have multiple working fitted.

HTH

Scott

Has anyone managed to fit the jumpers supplied in the bag? mine wont fit in the holes!  :scratchhead:

Hi all

Just picked up one of the green ones and added a Zimo Sound Decoder, first impressions is that given how shallow the moulded sound chamber is for the speaker it has an excellent quality and level of sound, makes me wonder if we need all those custom made sound chambers be try to squeeze in our locos when it can be this good with next to no sound chamber.

Loco is excellent as well

Paul 

Edited by Paul-H

I have 2 class 40’s with sound now, and I have to agree the sound reproduction is exemplary, and I love my 2, both blue, 1 Centre headcodes and the other a fantastically weathered split box.

I did note the instructions about no electronic track cleaners too.

• 2 weeks later...

looks like parish have missed a golden chance to make 40141 an even bigger seller by not producing enough

cheers

john

Can't imagine it was easy for them to decide on a production run size. The models landed mid December so guessing they left China approx. early November, production must have been taking place from early October if not before then, the figure to make will have been finalised before this. Given that I only got round to ordering mine in mid October I would have most likely come in after the production started.

I would be amazed if anyone could predict how popular a model will be - I seem to recall the sound 108 didn't exactly fly out the shops. Looking in the Farish catalogue for this year the Castle is getting another sound model (in a train set) and the 108 is coming in BR Green, so chances are the 2019 catalogue will feature a BR Green 40 with sound - don't ask me to predict if it will be disc or headcode and which type of yellow end it will have.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all

My sound fitted 40141 arrived in Oz yesterday and has been run in - impressive range of sounds even on DC only and I agree that it is a lovely model. Speed is much slower than many other recent N gauge models but prototypical for a 40.

However I have a question - today I have found that the sound abruptly cuts out when running at full speed (running DC only as I don't yet have DCC), and returns when the controller is reduced to about 90%. I appreciate that full speed running is not very prototypical but wondered whether this is a characteristic of DC running or whether the model is faulty and should be returned. Has anybody else encountered this? The sound performance is continuous, provided the controller is kept below about 90% full power.

For the purposes of running in I have been using one of the Bachmann Graham Farish standard train set controllers (no PWM or high voltage track cleaners etc).

Interested to hear any comments?

Cheers

Tom.

Hi all

My sound fitted 40141 arrived in Oz yesterday and has been run in - impressive range of sounds even on DC only and I agree that it is a lovely model. Speed is much slower than many other recent N gauge models but prototypical for a 40.

However I have a question - today I have found that the sound abruptly cuts out when running at full speed (running DC only as I don't yet have DCC), and returns when the controller is reduced to about 90%. I appreciate that full speed running is not very prototypical but wondered whether this is a characteristic of DC running or whether the model is faulty and should be returned. Has anybody else encountered this? The sound performance is continuous, provided the controller is kept below about 90% full power.

For the purposes of running in I have been using one of the Bachmann Graham Farish standard train set controllers (no PWM or high voltage track cleaners etc).

Cheers

Tom.

funny enough mines is doing the same using a standard Bachmann controller and set track out of the parcels trainset mines is even stopping on curves which might be down to the radius 

what is the minimum radius to run on for the class 40

john

• RMweb Gold

Hi all

Cheers

Tom.

I've just tested mine and when running DC it occasionally cuts out at full power, but not consistently. Under DCC control it doesn't cut out at all.

Hope this helps,

Tom. 

I've just tested mine and when running DC it occasionally cuts out at full power, but not consistently. Under DCC control it doesn't cut out at all.

Hope this helps,

Tom. 

I've seen this too - but running in seemed to help things, so not sure the mechanism of this strangeness.

Cheers,

Alan

Mine was doing the same.. cleaned the track and its fine now..

Cheers

Mark

Indicates it may just be a need to run in and take off some of the wheel tread blackening and blackening where the pickup wipers work.

Cheers,

Alan

Just fitted one with a Legomanbiffo Next 18 Sound decoder, it runs like a dream!!  Fingers Crossed.

Hi Charlie.

I've just fitted one with a ZIMO decoder from Digitrains, same type of decoder as used by Graham Farish. Runs perfectly, no need to cross fingers when using ZIMO decoders. LOL

Bit cheaper than ESU, too. (wink!)

Best regards,

Paul

• Like 2

Hi Charlie.

I've just fitted one with a ZIMO decoder from Digitrains, same type of decoder as used by Graham Farish. Runs perfectly, no need to cross fingers when using ZIMO decoders. LOL

Bit cheaper than ESU, too. (wink!)

Best regards,

Paul

No need to have a twitch when using eithe ESU or Zimo !!