Farish Class 40

TomE

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone had a derailment problem with their 40? One of my two derails in one direction only when negotiating points on a  curve. I've swapped the pony wheels from the 'good one' and it still happens. I've tried several back-to back settings to no avail. Running it without any pony on the offending bogie and it runs perfectly--obviously not a solution. Wondering if I should return it to the retailer.......

Has anyone had a derailment problem with their 40? One of my two derails in one direction only when negotiating points on a  curve. I've swapped the pony wheels from the 'good one' and it still happens. I've tried several back-to back settings to no avail. Running it without any pony on the offending bogie and it runs perfectly--obviously not a solution. Wondering if I should return it to the retailer.......

I would! Why mess about when you can demonstrate its not a problem of your making?

• RMweb Premium

maybe the front pony wheels don't re-centre properly? I don't know if that's adjustable?

try a wider back to back wheel spacing maybe

tim

I've tried it all, including 7.54mm. I've checked the powered wheels in situ and they seem ok but I'm reluctant to lever off the bogie. Time to give up and send it back as per Bill's post I think!

I've tried it all, including 7.54mm. I've checked the powered wheels in situ and they seem ok but I'm reluctant to lever off the bogie. Time to give up and send it back as per Bill's post I think!

Check the powered wheels aren't being pushed to one side by the pickups - this can be quite common with wipers, and if pushed to one side this can cause derailments or catching (I suspect is likely to be worse on a 40 with the leading wheelset).

Cheers,

Alan

received my br blue one today and it also runs slow and I run dc  and use one controller for 2 lines and 40 looks nice plodding round with 21 tta tanks and then my 37s on passenger look like a express train going full thrash =)

Saw my first blue 40 'in the flesh' and yes, compared to other farish diesel models it is relatively slow, but I have to say that to my eyes it looked perfectly fine in terms of 'scale speed' and the feeling it left - hard to quantify I know, but perhaps many of us are guilty of running our trains way too quickly?

Edited by bill badger

• RMweb Premium

Undoubtedly they are superb models but the 1Co-Co1 wheel arrangement appears rather prone to trouble on Peco code 55 curved points;  they'll run perfectly without the pony as a Co-Co but maybe extra weight or a spring would refine performance. Back-to-backs seem to be properly set for the Peco-recommended standard of 7.315-7.366mm. I would now advise against returning them as it seems to be an inherent characteristic of the long bogies.

A slight blemish on a very low failure rate for Farish that I generally experience. The second green one I took delivery of worked fine on DC but only intermittently on DCC with no sound. To be doubly sure it was the loco I swapped the Zimo sound chip with my other 40's. The other loco worked fine, the new one same problem. 

Anyway, I took the model back to the local Dealer I bought it from and the swap works perfectly. In fach my wife reckons the sound is louder than my first one and together they make quite a racket!

Based on my experience of these two models I would say that they definitely lift the bar yet again. The loco really looks like a 40, is well detailed and runs superbly. The Next 18 interface and pre-installed speaker makes "plug and play" sound a reality plus additional functions mean the tail lights can be switched off independently when pulling a train and the cab-lighting the loco comes fitted with can be switched on and off too.

A great model at a price that is in my view not insanely expensive for what you get compared to other models out there.

Roy

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Just a heads up folks, a certain shop in Sheffield says they have the sound 40's in stock now

Oh well they’ll be shipped out in time for the new year, mine should have been a birthday present back in October. Wonder if I can get it to Whistle Old Lang Syne!

ARCADIA  SHAW  has  stock  NoW!    Of  The  SOUND  Version   40  041,

Same price  as  the  big  boys   dont  email telephone  01706882900  ( Mention RMWeb please)

Edited by Stevelewis

ARCADIA  SHAW  has  stock  NoW!    Of  The  SOUND  Version   40  401,

Same price  as  the  big  boys   dont  email telephone  01706882900  ( Mention RMWeb please)

Four  sold  already  today

EDIT

Recvd  Mine on  23rd  (posted on 22nd  excellent  service  from  Arcadia  as  usual)  excellent  model,  especially now as   it  is  in green livery!

Edited by Stevelewis

I have had my sound fitted class 40 for 3 days now and omg!

What a stunning model, the addition cost of the sound being worth every penny.

This model sets the benchmark for all other models that follow, and hopefully oneday ALL models will be this good.

My hope is that the Graham Garish range will now be retro produced with sound

• Like 1

I have had my sound fitted class 40 for 3 days now and omg!

What a stunning model, the addition cost of the sound being worth every penny.

This model sets the benchmark for all other models that follow, and hopefully oneday ALL models will be this good.

My hope is that the Graham Garish range will now be retro produced with sound

Have  to agree with   you  the  sound  is  excellent  ( even  fog  signal detonator sounds!!)  It  probably  equals  the  Suttons  Loco  works  Class  24 in 00, it  is  better  than some  of  the  USA  outline N  diesels  I  have.

My  Class 40  is  now  in  green  though  as  D211,  I do not  model the  blue  period 40-141 is  now  an analogue  model  on  the  disposal  road!

post-10539-0-89953800-1514286911.jpg

Edited by Stevelewis