Port Isaac

woodenhead

Having looked at Drewry Lane and Western Diversion, I've finally put track to IKEA shelf and created my very own plank.

Hasn't got a name yet, but it's in the South West and it's pre 1940 steam.

Complete length is 6ft 3in and is just right as a keep it simple learn the basics again layout. Took in all 4 hours to build and wire, it's wired & isolated for DCC conversion as I'm tempted to give sound a go.

The loop can just take two coaches but I need to lengthen the fiddle road a tad to take the full train. One cock up, I wanted a T9 and I've built the headshunt only for an 0-6-0 tender engine. I think I need to add an 02 and a Beattie Well tank. Rolling stock so far a couple of Colletts and a couple of ex LSWR 58' plus some GWR/SR wagons. Kernow have the Gate stock coming and also GW Steam motor, so all the makings of a nice little branch station.

If this goes well then I will build a slightly larger permanent layout, my N gauge layout remains in situ whilst I dabble with the 00 plank.

post-165-0-44839100-1473638544_thumb.jpeg

post-165-0-09619200-1473638562_thumb.jpeg

post-165-0-42341600-1473638579_thumb.jpeg

post-165-0-27603400-1473638592_thumb.jpeg

post-165-0-45091100-1473638606_thumb.jpeg

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 9

• 1 month later...

It seems Ikea shelves have a habit of multiplying, what began as a plank with a couple of GW locos has now taken a distinctly Southern feel. However Swmbo is very pleased with the reduction in wood around the study and these shelves re quite sturdy.

Couple more sidings to add when I get back of holiday and then I can begin to think about the scenics.

Very pleased to have picked up an M7 which was mint in box to complete my loco stable.

post-165-0-16152300-1478464945_thumb.jpg

post-165-0-84114900-1478464976_thumb.jpg

post-165-0-65488900-1478464997_thumb.jpg

post-165-0-71106800-1478465013_thumb.jpg

post-165-0-47430600-1478465030_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Loving the look of the Southern stock. If I didn't have so much British Railways stock, Mutton would be Southern, September 1939...( Excuse for a bit of military stuff....)

Good stuff, Wooders.

Rob.

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of an update and some operating photos.

First the little loco that drew me back into 4mm - the Well Tank has been joined by another member of the class when Kernow found a couple down the back of a sofa on Friday.
post-165-0-18186800-1488735124_thumb.jpg

Seems I also like M7s as I've added a push-pull fitted one to my stable this week.

post-165-0-00243700-1488735320_thumb.jpg

The three amigos lined up
post-165-0-04397300-1488735455_thumb.jpg

Western interloper on a transfer goods

post-165-0-76668100-1488735507_thumb.jpg

After the goods has departed in comes the other M7 on a local service, running round before depositing its train in the bay

post-165-0-78448500-1488735667_thumb.jpgpost-165-0-92048700-1488735684_thumb.jpg

With the local in the bay a T9 brings in the stock for a longer distance service and runs round its train

post-165-0-26024300-1488735814_thumb.jpgpost-165-0-68156000-1488735844_thumb.jpgpost-165-0-25024500-1488735909_thumb.jpg

Both trains now ready to depart

post-165-0-59235200-1488735963_thumb.jpg

Must make a start on scenics, there is a bit of rubbish in the room that needs clearing first though and I've to add some shelf space to store my stock on.

Julian

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 4

Looking good. Which type of ikea shelf are they out of interest? I've a few LACK and EKBY shelves spare that could be put to such a use, but the EKBY aren't lightweight (I'd not be able to fix to wall really).

I'm using three LACK shelves (one long and two shorts) - got the idea from the Western Diversion thread and the rest is history - firm and flat.

I think I will reduce the length of the long siding at the front, I originally wanted to stock three Maunsell coaches on it but found I tend to keep wagons there as a sort of exchange siding.  With a reduction in length I can add a small platform at the end of the middle track either for goods or a cattle dock giving me 4 sidings to shunt.  The bay also wants a small amount of extra length, not much.

I am wondering if my N gauge will ever see the light of day again.

• Like 1

I'm using three LACK shelves (one long and two shorts) - got the idea from the Western Diversion thread and the rest is history - firm and flat.

I think I will reduce the length of the long siding at the front, I originally wanted to stock three Maunsell coaches on it but found I tend to keep wagons there as a sort of exchange siding.  With a reduction in length I can add a small platform at the end of the middle track either for goods or a cattle dock giving me 4 sidings to shunt.  The bay also wants a small amount of extra length, not much.

Thought they might be. I have a few unused, so tempted to make use of one for a small plank.

Good luck with this.

With regard to changing scale/gauge, I've long been of the opinion that "getting rid" is the only option that works for me. If I keep everything, the chance of changing back again is too great!

As has been said, a plank is a great idea. I have completely gone off larger layouts... more time can be spent on a plank and the level of detail increased, making the whole thing (imho) more enjoyable.

One element of the LACK shelf I haven't utilised here but it might be useful for others is that it is a floating shelf that comes with a hidden metal frame that you attach to the wall.

If you have your Lack inspired layout along a single wall or you think modular then you could swap out shelves very easily using those frames.

• Like 1

One element of the LACK shelf I haven't utilised here but it might be useful for others is that it is a floating shelf that comes with a hidden metal frame that you attach to the wall.

If you have your Lack inspired layout along a single wall or you think modular then you could swap out shelves very easily using those frames.

You just have to be careful as they don't have much of a weight rating, so you could overload them if not careful.

• RMweb Gold

Spot on Wooders. Sheep Lane is living on a desk at the moment but I have retained the brackets so as to attach to wall in the future. As you know I have attached a back scene but have drilled it to match the original holes in the shelf.

I really like these shelves and worth nothing that the LACK coffee table tops are of the same type of construction. At £14.00 for a 3x2(55cm) white they seem to be cheap base boards. Downside is the solid side and base but you can get around that.

I will be using these myself for my next layout.

As I have said before, the Southern stock is spot on. Hornby do a great job on the lined green.

Great to see this progressing Wooders old boy.......

Rob.

• Like 1

You just have to be careful as they don't have much of a weight rating, so you could overload them if not careful.

Mine are on the top of some bookcases but I do think the frame would support trains, though any work on the railway I.e pinning track would have to be done on a firm surface and not whilst floating.

Mine are on the top of some bookcases but I do think the frame would support trains, though any work on the railway I.e pinning track would have to be done on a firm surface and not whilst floating.

With the supplied 'floating' bracket according to the website, they can take upto 8Kg. With the EKBY type of brackets below them, depending upon the type (there are loads!) they can hold upto 20Kg.

However, 8Kg should be plenty for most needs, but I'd personally put the |/ brackets under them to give better protection from accidental extra weight.

• 2 months later...

One of these trains is not like the others

post-165-0-57036200-1494103020_thumb.jpg

All this talk about DJM 71s had me thinking so I took the plunge and bought some Southern electrics and a pre tops 33.

My 2-HALs arrived today too, an EPB and MLV are in the post.

post-165-0-71032300-1494103210_thumb.jpg

All that shiny rail, I must begin the scenery and I really must sell my N gauge stuff as I think that door has firmly shut.

As always I am watching what I am paying nothing more than £90, the 2-HALs were bargain £62, how could I resist.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Despite what my wife says, I don't blindly purchase anymore, ever since I purchased the EMUs for my 1970 version of my station I've been on the lookout for a bargain 4-CEP. Whilst I missed out on the best bargains when they were £50 at Hattons and I finally found an as new bargain for £125 and now my collection is complete.

Still not begun the scenic side, currently musing Kadee couplings for my steam stock.

post-165-0-13588800-1502476934_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

If this is serious musing, my advice (FWIW) is to do it early on when you don't have to spend a lot to equip all the stock and locos that you nay accumulate over the years over the years.  Kadee's in large numbers can get expensive!

Brian

• RMweb Gold

Must say Wooders the old Southern electric stuff looks splendid.

More money to spend yet, mind you.....Class 73....Thumper.....Heljan 07........Might even see a diesel or two on Mutton......

Variety is, after all, the spice of life.

Rob.

Must say Wooders the old Southern electric stuff looks splendid.

More money to spend yet, mind you.....Class 73....Thumper.....Heljan 07........Might even see a diesel or two on Mutton......

Variety is, after all, the spice of life.

Rob.

Dang I forgot about the 73, got a Thumper (and that was a bargain too) but the 07 is interesting I might need one to collect the vans the 33 drops off fro time to time.

• Like 1

If this is serious musing, my advice (FWIW) is to do it early on when you don't have to spend a lot to equip all the stock and locos that you nay accumulate over the years over the years.  Kadee's in large numbers can get expensive!

Brian

Luckily stock levels are restricted due to layout size, but I will get my first set of couplings at the next exhibition I go to to start the ball rolling

• 4 weeks later...

Following on from the mojo thread

Taking SMART approach with Kadees, settling on #19s for my stock, with a bit of RMWeb research found a solution to the Bachmann cranked nem tension lock couplings and basically mixing kadee outer ends with tension lock inners on rakes so I don't have to worry about some non nem wagons and it's cheaper than replacing every coupling.

Thought I would have an issue with my Mk1 BGs but again with a little RMWeb research there are a couple of simple solutions. In the meantime I can use the tension locks on my MLV to haul these.

Need to think whether I use #18s on locos, no issues pulling but buffer locking if I have to push into the fiddle-yard, saw some Roco style couplings on Camel Quay today on the push pull rake which I might copy, Kadees don't look very comfortable on my DJM 02 when pushing, it's the same with tension locks so perhaps something a little stiffer.

But hey, it's progress, small manageable steps, magnets next, maybe some experimentation on different types.

Once I have sorted magnets for uncoupling I need to add a couple of switches to isolate locos and then add two point motors so the furthest point from my controller can be operated without me moving. All feels achievable if I just do one step at a time.

What options are there for magnets with Kadees that allow for delayed uncoupling?