BRM OCTOBER + FREE DVD!

SteveCole

• Administrators

Hi all,

Since the BRM Team committed to a monthly DVD, they have worked incredibly hard to ensure every DVD is a quality production. The original concept has remained the same, to produce a DVD that works alongside the core content pillars of the magazine: showcasing great layouts, interviews with layout creators, special 'behind-the-scenes' features, practical clips and product reviews. And, judging by the fact that BRM is now Britain's Fastest Growing Model Railway Magazine you all agree.

But, this month the BRM Team really have excelled themselves by producing, what we all agree, is the best-ever BRM DVD! That's quite some claim, but one we're sticking with. I'll be uploading a trailer soon!

Anyway, enough of the trumpet blowing. BRM October is now on-sale as a Digital Edition and the paper version goes on-sale in UK shops on Thursday, September 15th. A thorough content list can be found below.

If you're a regular reader of BRM, the cheapest way of enjoying the magazine each month is to subscribe. Click below for our latest offers:

1. Free ticket to the Peterborough Show

2. Free Modelling Lamp worth over £30

3. Annual Direct Debit - save £13.50

Thanks and enjoy the issue,

Steve

post-14186-0-90162200-1473693350.jpg

• What's on this month's FREE DVD!

* Liverpool Lime Street. A progress report on an exceptional EM Gauge layout

* Liverpool Lime Street 'team' interview! The secrets, operation and future are revealed!

* How to add wagon loads and scenery in three simple steps

• Inside BRM October!

Stunning Model Railways

Ellesmere - BR (W) Late 1950s/Early1960s - OO gauge

Hooper's Aggregates - NR Western Zone 2000s - OO gauge

Great Modelling Projects

Take Two Tangos - Tony Wright on improving Heljan's rendition of the Gresley 2-8-0.

Plastic Magic - John Bristow of Deluxe Materials explains the science behind adhesives.

Animate your layout wildlife - Phil Parker assembles some of the strangest, yet entertaining animations we've seen!

Make a freelance 009 locomotive

Build an Artitec Kit

Install overhead Line Equipment in N Gauge

A wagon in every scale

Fit and program a DCC Motor Point

Fit sound to a Farish Class 47

New Products

The latest news

Dapol SR 'Schools' 4-4-0

DJM LNER/BR Hunslet 'J94' 0-6-0ST

Heljan Class  25

Plus...

The Makers - TMC Interview

Great Central London Extension Trains 1948-66

Tail Lamp

Forgive me if this is a silly question, Steve, but what is the point of starting a second thread on this topic and locking the first one?

Chris 

I locked the original one so that any further comments would be in this one which has more detailed information on the content.

OK, let's have some fun.  No prizes, but how many times does Howard say "There you have it" on the DVD?

Chris

Dunno - but having endured teacher training I know that having a verbal tic or crutch picked on is a miserable experience.  We all have phrases we use to fill in time while our brains desperately try to work out what to say next, "there you have it" is one of the more innocuous examples which we can pass over and forget we heard.

Erm.

Nice DVD, I've been following "Lime Street" on RMWEB and its a terrific undertaking and well worth the in-depth account.  I'm assuminmg that when filming took place the North Western Hotel was being worked on, it would have been nice to see that as it's a fantastic piece of modelling in its own right!

• RMweb Gold

No prizes, but how many times does Howard say "There you have it" on the DVD?

Many. But not as many times as I would say "Erm" if I was being filmed.

Probably also nowhere near as many times as some people might be tempted to say: "I'M ASKING YOU NICELY - GET THAT @#%*! CAMERA OUT OF MY FACE!!" (Other, slightly less civilised, expressions are also available - but, thankfully, not on this site.)

Dunno - but having endured teacher training I know that having a verbal tic or crutch picked on is a miserable experience. We all have phrases we use to fill in time while our brains desperately try to work out what to say next, "there you have it" is one of the more innocuous examples which we can pass over and forget we heard.

I could imagine a lot of people "freezing" if they had a camera or microphone pushed in their face - either that or a slightly more "subtle" sort of response - so I've got no issues with various people's "coping mechanisms" / devices for pausing for thought.

This sort of stuff aside, cover DVDs offer a very useful way of showing / explaining things which couldn't really be explained via the printed page - how to do different modelmaking jobs / skills - that sort of thing.

For example, I don't think many people would really want to learn different types of soldering, based only on printed words in a book or magazine.

Huw.

I am downloading this issue to my iPad at the moment, there is something wrong with the letter spacing in the Bachmann ad, not a serious problem for me but I wouldn't be too happy if I was them. Maybe this is confined to the digital issue. The same strange letter spacing appeared in the September issue as well.

• RMweb Gold

Here's a preview of the BRM October DVD. Click here.

Looks interesting - especially the "Liverpool Lime Street" sequence, with real people virtually "miniaturized" to fit a model station.

OK - I strongly suspect this would have been done using "blue screen" or a similar blank backdrop method - but it appears to work. I guess I might get chance to find out for real in a few days' time, after this issue finds its way to my local corner newsagent.

Huw.

• Administrators

Excellent read, brilliant DVD.

Makes me wonder, when the BRM team joined the magazine, were they expecting to become presenters? Public speaking or being filmed for a publication is very very scary.

Nope. Mind you, if they had been looking for presenters, they would have got good looking ones!

And yes, appearing on camera IS weird. It's very different from public speaking too. With this, no-one can rewind you and watch your mistakes again.

• RMweb Gold

Excellent read this month  - probably the best issue since the revamp. I like the way the reviews and news are going, especially the way the reviews are being honest and not shying away from faults. Haven't got to the DVD yet - thats Sunday morning whilst ironing the shirts for the week!

Probably also nowhere near as many times as some people might be tempted to say: "I'M ASKING YOU NICELY - GET THAT @#%*! CAMERA OUT OF MY FACE!!" (Other, slightly less civilised, expressions are also available - but, thankfully, not on this site.)

I could imagine a lot of people "freezing" if they had a camera or microphone pushed in their face - either that or a slightly more "subtle" sort of response - so I've got no issues with various people's "coping mechanisms" / devices for pausing for thought.

This sort of stuff aside, cover DVDs offer a very useful way of showing / explaining things which couldn't really be explained via the printed page - how to do different modelmaking jobs / skills - that sort of thing.

For example, I don't think many people would really want to learn different types of soldering, based only on printed words in a book or magazine.

Huw.

Nope. Mind you, if they had been looking for presenters, they would have got good looking ones!

And yes, appearing on camera IS weird. It's very different from public speaking too. With this, no-one can rewind you and watch your mistakes again.

Speaking as someone who has had 'the pleasure' of appearing in one of the BRM DVDs.....yeah it is a completely alien experience for I'd guess 99.9%, I'd guess most look at the finished product through their fingers!

Upshot of this is i'd never have a pop at anyone's vocal ticks ever again!! It's bad enough exhibiting when you answer the same question over and over again and by day two you know you're talking gibberish as you try and change the stock answer.....to have it recorded for posterity for all to see takes it to another level......

Archived