gismorail

Thanks for the update Martin.

I like the way you've fitted the micro switches. We've used much smaller ones on our club layout and hot glued them in place. The problem with that (as we've since learnt) is that their position has to be correct initially and there's no scope for adjustment subsequently to allow movement of the micro switch closer or further from the servo if you find that the servo's travel needs adjustment.

Your method of using a tag strip to cross the baseboard has gotten me thinking too. All the servos on my home layout are mounted on the front edge of the baseboards as is all the wiring other than the rail ends of the dropper wires. That way I should never need to worry about access to the wiring as I get (even) older.

The signals will be added in due course and will be mounted on a "plate" which will be fixed to the baseboard top surface and have the servo(s) fixed to its underneath. I will then run the servo control leads through holes in the front edge of the baseboard and connect them to their controller. I had expected to have to drill large holes in the baseboard edge - which is already quite full! - so that the plug on the end of the servo lead could pass through. I hadn't thought of splitting the lead and effectively re-joining it under the baseboard so that the hole in the front edge of the baseboard only needs to be big enough to take the lead and not the plug. Thanks for that.

I'm hoping that the arrangement of the micro switch that I have used will not need adjustment and as you have quite rightly said initial positioning is vital. I must admit that I'm looking forward to building my permanent layout around the 'man cave' and like you have the electrics etc at the front end of the layout as to the signals for Chumley End I have still to build them and am going to simply wire a tag strip near the position of each signal in readiness for their installation. 

Missed this the other day, sorry Martin. I think dual operation is better if you can, otherwise the Layout will never get good use at home if you have to stand behind it, and not enjoy seeing the operation from the Public side.

The Bracket looks a splendid idea mate.

Your right on this point Andy but not sure if it's going to be possible on Chumley End ...unless I make two sets of fiddle yards  :locomotive:

• RMweb Gold

I have a megapoint board myself but owing to the move haven't used it aprt from some testing. My understanding is the inital set up position zeros the movement on all the attache servos which you can then adjust individually the idea being that the movement of them is set to zero so it wont damage anything. It would make sense to plug the twelve in and zero the motion. Then install each one adjusting the arm for mid travel  reconnect to the board on the smae channel as used initially and you sould be able to adjust each one as you go. Dave can probably advise whether that makes sense.

Don

I have a megapoint board myself but owing to the move haven't used it aprt from some testing. My understanding is the inital set up position zeros the movement on all the attache servos which you can then adjust individually the idea being that the movement of them is set to zero so it wont damage anything. It would make sense to plug the twelve in and zero the motion. Then install each one adjusting the arm for mid travel  reconnect to the board on the smae channel as used initially and you sould be able to adjust each one as you go. Dave can probably advise whether that makes sense.

Don

I think your right on this Don and to be honest I'm learning something new each day at the moment. Certainly when power is switched off all servo's move to 'zero' and I did notice if the adjustment is not quite right on the turnout and the arm does not go to the full adjustment there is a very slight 'buzzing' from the servo. I noticed this on the point that I have just fitted the micro switch to, on the first movement the switch was not quite in the correct position therefore stopping the full movement back to zero. 

There's no about it that, it is a fantastic system and the only limitations  is one's own misunderstanding of what it is capable of.

I'm sure you will have fun with it yourself once you have settled after your move. Best of Luck  

Not using megapoints controllers, but some useful approaches here ref sighting of servos, controllers and aux switching units here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64065-leeds-city-the-midland-side-in-4mm/?p=2463239

No connection, other than 'contracted' builder of said servo boards :)

Not using megapoints controllers, but some useful approaches here ref sighting of servos, controllers and aux switching units here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64065-leeds-city-the-midland-side-in-4mm/?p=2463239

No connection, other than 'contracted' builder of said servo boards :)

Awesome  :fan:  :fan:  :fan: that track work is something special ......I think it's time for me to give up I wouldn't even know where to start with 's those servo it's just  :scared:  I like the way you have positioned the servo's at the side of the base board such easy access will bear that in mind for the next layout Thanks for sharing  :sungum:

Awesome  :fan:  :fan:  :fan: that track work is something special ......I think it's time for me to give up I wouldn't even know where to start with 's those servo it's just  :scared:  I like the way you have positioned the servo's at the side of the base board such easy access will bear that in mind for the next layout Thanks for sharing  :sungum:

Not my layout, but I'm friends with its builder. That was just a link to a pic to show you how it could be done. Eventually, iirc the electronics a will be covered with a removable protection panel.

I have a couple of megapoint controllers although I have not got around to installing them yet. So it's very interesting to see how you are progressing with your layout and being able to get some tips. One thing I have done is to make a remote pushbutton device so I can set the servos up insitu.

post-20926-0-85783000-1485093045_thumb.jpg

I have a couple of megapoint controllers although I have not got around to installing them yet. So it's very interesting to see how you are progressing with your layout and being able to get some tips. One thing I have done is to make a remote pushbutton device so I can set the servos up insitu.

Thanks for that paulj thats interesting be interested to see how you have done that if you want to share it 

All getting a bit technical for me now Martin, :O  I like simple Digital for Points, Middle Digit, Left Hand, hahha :no:  :no:  No I keep my Point control Anolog, but this is really fascinating to watch.

I know where your coming from Andy but as we discussed I'm very impressed with this system and just love the signal bounce  :maninlove: and to operate it's just like 'Middle finger Left hand ' certainly easier than DCC point operation. 

• Like 1

Hi Martin. I like the remote control idea - it might be worth making up if Paulj will share. What sort of power unit are you using? The recommended Megapoints one seems like overkill for what you are doing. Trev

Yes I agree Trev, hoping Paulj will share though I'm fairly sure that Dave's web site has something about it I must have a good look at it. As to the power unit I'm using the Maplins workbench variable DC power source which works well, will review that when I come to built the main control panel, I do have the 'Power Box' from Northgate shed which will hopefully double up for both layouts. 

• Like 1

I have been able to complete the other polarity switches on board 2 today as I was able to get two more micro-switches from Maplins yesterday ( has anyone else found that stock of components in store seem to be very low at present ) I didn't show the micro-switch before I butchered the roller on the earlier post so here's one before  :butcher: just in case anyone wondered what type I have used.

post-5136-0-07774400-1485128404.jpg   post-5136-0-31807800-1485128417.jpg

50 metres reel of PVC 3-way servo cable arrived yesterday so was able to start wiring up the servo motor loom as well as the control wires for the threeway point which is operated by the two tortoise motors. I have also added the control wires for the two signals that are on this board in readiness for their installation at a later date. 

post-5136-0-31511400-1485129497.jpg

This shot shows the complete tortoise motors wiring. The bottom set of wires is the being of the point control loom........

post-5136-0-27354900-1485129836.jpg

In the second shot the loom crosses the second segment of board 2 and collects wires from Signal (12) and point (9) .....

post-5136-0-59922900-1485130041.jpg

and in the third shot you can see the completed polarity switches.....this is in segment 3 of board 2...

To be continued  :sungum:

• Like 1

"I  was able to get two more micro-switches from Maplins yesterday ( has anyone else found that stock of components in store seem to be very low at present ) "

I gave up on Maplins several years ago - they used to be a really good source of small parts and cheap servos, amongst other things, and they were only a five minute walk from where I lived. But, in recent years, they seem to focus more on ready built stuff than parts and components for the hobbyist, certainly in-store anyway.

I use RS Spares these days, just about everything under the sun and usually next day delivery, even to the Isle of Man !

Yes I agree Trev, hoping Paulj will share though I'm fairly sure that Dave's web site has something about it I must have a good look at it. As to the power unit I'm using the Maplins workbench variable DC power source which works well, will review that when I come to built the main control panel, I do have the 'Power Box' from Northgate shed which will hopefully double up for both layouts.

Your wiring is tidy enough for the space shuttle! Fantastic. All I've been able to find on the website is a reference on the Megapoints board photo to the 5 pins which the remote control fastens to. No actual remote control. This must still be in the pipeline for future production. Perhaps we can ask at Stafford. (8am train from Run, 4Feb by the way) Really enjoying the thread Trev

I gave up on Maplins several years ago - they used to be a really good source of small parts and cheap servos, amongst other things, and they were only a five minute walk from where I lived. But, in recent years, they seem to focus more on ready built stuff than parts and components for the hobbyist, certainly in-store anyway.

I use RS Spares these days, just about everything under the sun and usually next day delivery, even to the Isle of Man !

Your right about Maplins Andi I think it's the 'consumer' ready built stuff such as radio controlled cars etc that is now their main focus, which I can understand as that's what makes profit. The small component range is still in store but in limited numbers, the two micro switches were the only ones in the Chester shop on Saturday and I needed six in total , fair enough they are posting them free of charge to me which tells me that I should use the internet ordering in the future but I find the website  'difficult' to use to be honest.

I will have a look RS spares thanks for that information cheers. :sungum:   

I have been able to complete the other polarity switches on board 2 today as I was able to get two more micro-switches from Maplins yesterday ( has anyone else found that stock of components in store seem to be very low at present ) I didn't show the micro-switch before I butchered the roller on the earlier post so here's one before  :butcher: just in case anyone wondered what type I have used.

attachicon.gifChumley End 2nd loom 003 (700x524).jpg   attachicon.gifChumley End 2nd loom 004 (700x585).jpg

50 metres reel of PVC 3-way servo cable arrived yesterday so was able to start wiring up the servo motor loom as well as the control wires for the threeway point which is operated by the two tortoise motors. I have also added the control wires for the two signals that are on this board in readiness for their installation at a later date. 

attachicon.gifChumley End 2nd loom 005 (700x470).jpg

This shot shows the complete tortoise motors wiring. The bottom set of wires is the being of the point control loom........

attachicon.gifChumley End 2nd loom 006 (700x486).jpg

In the second shot the loom crosses the second segment of board 2 and collects wires from Signal (12) and point (9) .....

attachicon.gifChumley End 2nd loom 007 (700x340).jpg

and in the third shot you can see the completed polarity switches.....this is in segment 3 of board 2...

To be continued  :sungum:

The Micro Switch is a Peco PL33 as I used in my O Gauge Points mate, the rest is looking really good.

Your wiring is tidy enough for the space shuttle! Fantastic. All I've been able to find on the website is a reference on the Megapoints board photo to the 5 pins which the remote control fastens to. No actual remote control. This must still be in the pipeline for future production. Perhaps we can ask at Stafford. (8am train from Run, 4Feb by the way) Really enjoying the thread Trev

Thanks for looking at the website Trev, I hope your right about it being a future development. Looking forward to Stafford and a Jolly Boys Day Out   :sungum:

• Like 1

Thanks for looking at the website Trev, I hope your right about it being a future development. Looking forward to Stafford and a Jolly Boys Day Out   :sungum:

George T and I are going to Stafford on the Sunday mate, which Day are you two going?

The Micro Switch is a Peco PL33 as I used in my O Gauge Points mate, the rest is looking really good.

So that's why Maplins have none in stock Peco have bought them :jester: ......well spotted Andy I did'nt know that Peco stocked them though I bet their cheaper from Maplins .......your really are the fountain of model railway supply mate Thanks  :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

When I was discussing the sevo controller with Dave Fenton he said he was adding the facility to extend the wiring from the set up buttons so you could work them remotely which would mean you could set them up watching the signal movement hard to do on your back under a baseboard. If you oook in the manual section on the Megapoint website  there is a PDF here http://megapointscontrollers.com/megapoints/docs/MegaPointsControllerUserGuideRev24.pdf which mentions the remote control connector. I dont think it is on my elarlier board.

Don

ps The great hing about the Megapoint bounce is it is random so each move can be slightly different. You can select bounce or no bounce according to whether you are operating signals or something else like a turnout or a gate.

Edited by Donw

Hi Martin. In post 122 above DonW, (Thanks DonW), very kindly gives a link to how to make a remote control. Look at Page 7 and you find that all you need is a box to put 4 push buttons on, two lengths of Servo cable each with a plug on, 4 pushbuttons and a bit of soldering. If you can wait till after Stafford, when I will get my own Megapoints controller, I'll make each of us one. Just let me know how long a a lead it will need! Trev

George T and I are going to Stafford on the Sunday mate, which Day are you two going?

We do Saturdays get the train from Runcorn and use the vintage bus service from Stafford station......and this years it's cheap as I'm on my 'old farts' rail card  :senile:  :jester: