gismorail

• RMweb Gold

Quote "Been operating (well playing) trains over the last couple of days for the first time...."

What a delightful layout but I find it hard to believe that you haven't done any 'testing' until getting to this stage.

Well done.

Brian

Edited by 88C
Spelling

12 hours ago, Andrew P said:

As long as it's Blue Diesels for November, or will it be gone by then:o and the New Un announced O Gauge project have taken over?:laugh::good:

November is a long time ahead Andy who knows what will be running that month ....he he ..I have had an invite to exhibit Chester Northgate Shed at Poyton Show at the end of October though !!!will book you in the operate then he he 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gismorail said:

November is a long time ahead Andy who knows what will be running that month ....he he ..I have had an invite to exhibit Chester Northgate Shed at Poyton Show at the end of October though !!!will book you in the operate then he he 

Yeah, it's only about a Mile from George T's gaff, so I'm sure he will be there as well.

Did you mean Poynton, or Hazel Grove?

Edited by Andrew P
aded a word

20 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Yeah, it's only about a Mile from George T's gaff, so I'm sure he will be there as well.

Did you mean Poynton, or Hazel Grove?

I think it's Poynton it's the last weekend in October .hopefully Chumley End will be there in 2020 I should have an operating plan by then he he 

2 minutes ago, gismorail said:

:fan:Thats the one Andy knew it was in a Sports Hall in Mancland :keeporder:

It's a good little show, I exhibited Loch Leven there in 2012, and was put up in  a B & B next to the Golf Club, and very posh it was too.

On 22/05/2019 at 20:46, 88C said:

Quote "Been operating (well playing) trains over the last couple of days for the first time...."

What a delightful layout but I find it hard to believe that you haven't done any 'testing' until getting to this stage.

Well done.

Brian

Thanks for your kind comments, your comment got me thinking as to when I first run a loco on the layout and checking back in the thread it was 30th April 2017 when I run my SLW Class24 in an intensive test session to check all track work was ok . I have had stock on the layout to check clearances for platforms etc but not had a proper running session been too busy pushing to get the project done I suppose. :keeporder:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Some of you might have noticed that I am employing 'Kadee' couplings on the layout and within the siding areas I have fitted the magnets beneath the baseboards, these work on the same principle as the type that fit between the rails but are more powerful so that the force travels a touch further. On the main running lines I have used the 'Magne-Electric' which is activated by a push to make button on the back of the layout for each location. During the recent 'test' shunting moves I had found that some further away from the power source were not working so I have got the base boards on their backs 'again' and have spent this morning investigating the problem. When I wired these units I went for DC power and incorporated the wires that cross the base board joint into a 25 way computer connector and whilst checking for any problem  I found that these connectors were causing a voltage drop. I have therefore spent the morning re-wiring the loom for these 'Magne-Electric' uncouplers into a direct connection at the base board joint and I'm pleased to report that this has solved the problem. 

So just as a note to anyone going down this route do a direct connection at the board joints via a two pin plug & socket. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, gismorail said:

I . . . incorporated the wires that cross the base board joint into a 25 way computer connector  . . . these connectors were causing a voltage drop.

. . . do a direct connection at the board joints via a two pin plug & socket. 

Absolutely right, Kadee suggest 16V which for the 8 ohm coil is 2A.  For starters, D connectors are only rated 1A max (I think) and the sort of wire that can be fitted into the connector will cause volts drop at that current.  It is possible to parallel up 4 or 5 contacts, but easier to use a 2 pin plug/socket rated for the higher current and which will take the larger cable.

I have to do the same so thanks for the reminder to ‘do it right’.

Paul.

• Informative/Useful 1

On Saturday 25th May 2019 I set off on a long journey south which required a border-crossing into Shropshire and on-wards across the Queen's Kingdom and after encountering many other 'shires' my trusty mount pulled up in the fair market town of Aylesbury where I was going to encounter for the first time a much reputed model railway show which is put on by the Risborough & District MRC.  The show is known as Railex as is held at the Stoke Mandeville Stadium and having now attended it I would highly recommend it to others to attend as it is a very high quality show.  Parking at the Stadium is very limited and I would suggest following the clubs instructions to park in the station car park (£5.00 for the day ) and use the free vintage bus service to the show. 

My main reason for attending was this year the six finalists of the Cameo Competition organised by Wild Swan Books were attending for the final judging and one of the judges was Iain Rice who was also attending the show with his new layout 'Longwood Edge' which is a master piece in railway modelling in it's own right. The wonderful books of Iain have given me much inspiration over many years and as I mentioned at the being of the 'Chumley End' build the track plan is one of his drawings so it was an opportunity finally meet the gentleman and thank him for many years enjoyment. 

1279868387_Railex2019Aylesbury041(600x433).jpg.efb345126a12806018667391f112dbbd.jpg

The photograph shows the Longwood Edge layout with Iain Rice at the controls. 

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Looks like his workmanship, and attention to detail is almost as good as that on Chumley End mate.

It looks a superb Layout indeed.

Believe me Andy Chumley End is a train set compared to Longwood Edge the attention to detail and construction of the buildings and stone work is a art form  in itself, the canal scene is amazing .  In my humble opinion one of the best layouts I have ever seen and well worth the long journey. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

I have this weekend dismantled the base boards of Chumley End and carefully stored them in the corner of the railway room for a couple of months as my other 4mm layout Chester Northgate Shed 6D has had an invite to the Hazel Grove Exhibition on the last weekend of October this year (2019). I need to make some fiddle yard modifications to Northgate shed and once these have been completed I will hopefully re-erect Chumley End and have both layouts set up down the centre of the railway room. 

To follow the modification work please use the link on my profile to see what I have planned. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 27/05/2019 at 16:53, Andrew P said:

It looks a superb Layout indeed.

On 27/05/2019 at 20:48, gismorail said:

Believe me Andy Chumley End is a train set compared to Longwood Edge the attention to detail and construction of the buildings and stone work is a art form  in itself, the canal scene is amazing .  In my humble opinion one of the best layouts I have ever seen and well worth the long journey. 

I hope you don't mind me commenting on Iain's layout chaps, having been friends for over 30 years it was Iain who encouraged me in many aspects too, and still does when we meet. 

The new layout is certainly a masterclass in modelling in its own right when you consider Iain has been suffering from Parkinson's Disease for several years now. That in itself is a massive challenge for him but as he usually tells me "its not my brain that's affected" and Longwood Edge certainly proves that point.

In my opinion he deserves all the praise he gets for his determination.

G

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

21 hours ago, bgman said:

I hope you don't mind me commenting on Iain's layout chaps, having been friends for over 30 years it was Iain who encouraged me in many aspects too, and still does when we meet. 

The new layout is certainly a masterclass in modelling in its own right when you consider Iain has been suffering from Parkinson's Disease for several years now. That in itself is a massive challenge for him but as he usually tells me "its not my brain that's affected" and Longwood Edge certainly proves that point.

In my opinion he deserves all the praise he gets for his determination.

G

Wonderful comments about your long time friend indeed and as said in my previous post Longwood Edge is indeed a master piece in railway modelling. I had a long chat with Iain and thanked him for all the years of inspiration that I have gleamed from his many excellent publications.  I honestly believe that our hobby would be a poorer place without his encouragement and inspiration. Considering his poor health his modelling skills I would agree are quite 'remarkable' and during our chat I was aware of his wonderful sense of humour. When you next speak to him please send him my kind regards . 

Martin Roberts 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thank you Martin, I will be more than happy to pass on your kind regards to Iain and I am in total agreement with you regarding what he has done for our hobby.

Grahame

32 minutes ago, bgman said:

Thank you Martin, I will be more than happy to pass on your kind regards to Iain and I am in total agreement with you regarding what he has done for our hobby.

Grahame

I too have found Iain’s writings in the model railway press and his monographs both amusing and inspiring.  Summoned  the nerve to say so to him on two widely separated occasions.  He was, on both occasions, extremely kind.  It was only on joining the Broad Gauge Society that I realised he had been involved there too (don’t know if he still is) - the man’s output and contribution to our hobby is awe inspiring.

(Hero worship now finished, I promise).

DrDuncan

• Agree 3

Iain Rice is indeed someone to whom many of us owe a debt.

In his writings he has always had the knack of being able to translate between finescale modellers and ordinary mortals, managing without condescension to help and encourage us to do rather better than we might otherwise have managed.  His Railway Modelling the Realistic Way has very much been my guide, philosopher and friend on returning to the hobby.  It does not surprise me that he is a nice chap; he writes as if he is. 

He certainly made me think about what was appropriate for my layout scheme, from the underlay upwards. 

Like all hobby "Greats", he has his ill-disguised preferences, if more gently and subtly conveyed than are the prejudices of many noted authors.  For instance, he strikes me as not seeing much point in top link locos running round in 4mm and has an evident horror of depicting frozen movement, even down to running water. All fine if you choose subjects that avoid all those features!

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, drduncan said:

I too have found Iain’s writings in the model railway press and his monographs both amusing and inspiring.  Summoned  the nerve to say so to him on two widely separated occasions.  He was, on both occasions, extremely kind.  It was only on joining the Broad Gauge Society that I realised he had been involved there too (don’t know if he still is) - the man’s output and contribution to our hobby is awe inspiring.

(Hero worship now finished, I promise).

DrDuncan

Agree with all you have said and 'Hero worship' is very much encouraged on this thread .....lets face it Chumley End owes it's basic form to Iain's inspirations :fan:

I think he should be nominated for an OBE for services to our great hobby..

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Iain Rice is indeed someone to whom many of us owe a debt.

In his writings he has always had the knack of being able to translate between finescale modellers and ordinary mortals, managing without condescension to help and encourage us to do rather better than we might otherwise have managed.  His Railway Modelling the Realistic Way has very much been my guide, philosopher and friend on returning to the hobby.  It does not surprise me that he is a nice chap; he writes as if he is. 

He certainly made me think about what was appropriate for my layout scheme, from the underlay upwards. 

Like all hobby "Greats", he has his ill-disguised preferences, if more gently and subtly conveyed than are the prejudices of many noted authors.  For instance, he strikes me as not seeing much point in top link locos running round in 4mm and has an evident horror of depicting frozen movement, even down to running water. All fine if you choose subjects that avoid all those features!

I think you have summed up Iain's contributions well there certainly the way he can translate between different modelling levels 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 04/06/2019 at 07:22, gismorail said:

When you next speak to him please send him my kind regards

Good morning Martin,

I was with Iain at the Warminster bi-annual show yesterday ( excellent show once again ) and passed on your regards to Iain who was most grateful.

G

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bgman said:

Good morning Martin,

I was with Iain at the Warminster bi-annual show yesterday ( excellent show once again ) and passed on your regards to Iain who was most grateful.

G

Many thanks for that a true gentleman indeed 

• Like 1