gismorail

I think you are spot on about the lack of space for coffee cups on the control panel after all the work i would not be a happy bunny if it had a shower  :O . Thanks also for the link to the mimic board art tools I spent ages looking for that not couldn't find it anywhere but I'm am  IT  challenged to be honest will keep the link for any future diagrams that I produce. 

Yes Don, Don't worry I always keep my coffee separate from my Layout, now a sticky bun, well that's a different matter. hahha

That panel looks so neat Martin, really well done mate. 

• Like 1

As for the Control Diagrams this may be the link you want to download the file https://www.dccconcepts.com/manual/mimic-board-art-tools/  Haven't tried using it myself . I don't see any point in doing another as yours looks good but you may want to do another some time.

Don

Glad you found the link Don, I had trouble finding it myself when I did my panel, I've now got the word file saved should I ever need it again.

Ray.

• Like 1

Hi Martin, Any new up-dates mate, or are you to busy working on the Kitchen re-build?

hi andy 

Units get delivered on Friday thus the need to have a real MEGA clear our of the railway shed so that the kitchen units can be stored in there prior to fitting .....I just don't do falling over things in confined spaces .......it's only a little kitchen as you know  :jester:  :jester:

• Like 1

Hi  Andrew, Martin has put an entry on "A new home needs a good shed" about his spray booth." Trevor

Well spotted Trevor ...

Just something I knocked up during a spare moment of tiding up ...as one does 

post-5136-0-62056300-1490261339.jpg

I was inspecting it first thing this morning to see if it required a further coat of paint and was suddenly struck by the real reason for it's construction 

post-5136-0-83648400-1490261377.jpg

Forgive me father for I have sinned and I promise that from now on I will keep my Model Railway as close to the Prototype as possible Amen 

Well following my diversion into making 'Let us spray' booths and now that the main railway room is full of new kitchen units which await my attention to fit........ I do love a challenge  :jester:  :jester:  I spent some time at the work bench last night and this morning completing the 25 pin base board to control panel connection lead which will enable me to do some serious testing of the layout ....... :scared: ( no I wasn't up all night )

Another job that has been completed is the back of the main mimic panel with all the LED connections etc

post-5136-0-81847800-1490457635.jpg

This was the back of the panel a couple of weeks ago with just the LEDs fitted into place 

post-5136-0-15341500-1490457799.jpg      post-5136-0-66216300-1490458335.jpg   

Back                                                                                                                                                                       Front

and this is the panel now with all the resistors fitted to the LEDS and the connections ready to hook up to the Mega points boards in the lower part of the control panel . I have been able  to keep the fascia panel separate up to this point of the construction but the next stage of the building will require working via the back of the panel box. I know that many people tend to fit hinges in this sort of construction but I wanted to steer clear of that as I feel that it can put stress on the wires which in turn can cause operational problems ..........I took peoples advice and marked all the functions of each position on the back of the panel so that I could keep my bearings and it was good advice thanks. Along the base of the wiring you can see that each Servo number is labelled ready to be connected to the control boards. The connectors that are marked with a red line denotes the off settings of each individual servo which will guide me when I come to wire up the final connections. 

We all remember at the outset of the DCC concept that the big selling point that was the TWO wire control .......well that soon got pushed into the annuals of time didn't it  :scratchhead: Well as this project keeps developing I have to admit that although there are a lot of wires involved the introduction of the Megapoints panels has drastically reduced the number of wires. This was very apparent when I was wiring in the LEDS for the two Tortoise slow acting point motors that are powering the three-way turnout ( you can see the connection blocks at the top left hand corner of the back panel ) ...... 

post-5136-0-21437600-1490460407.jpg

Well maybe one day perhaps  :jester:

• Like 4

We all remember at the outset of the DCC concept that the big selling point that was the TWO wire control .......well that soon got pushed into the annuals of time didn't it :scratchhead:

No, it can be done, Camel Quay is two wire DCC. I.e. There is a two wire DCC bus running the length of the layout (only two wires across baseboard joins), everything is connected to the bus at the point of use. The problem arises when you try to mix and match DCC with traditional DC components. If you use right DCC components it can be done.

Part of CQ's wiring here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67862-camel-quay-a-north-cornwall-inspired-layout-in-4mm/?p=938525

Edited by tender

Well following my diversion into making 'Let us spray' booths and now that the main railway room is full of new kitchen units which await my attention to fit........ I do love a challenge  :jester:  :jester:  I spent some time at the work bench last night and this morning completing the 25 pin base board to control panel connection lead which will enable me to do some serious testing of the layout ....... :scared: ( no I wasn't up all night )

Another job that has been completed is the back of the main mimic panel with all the LED connections etc

attachicon.gifPanel front facial 005 (750x254).jpg

This was the back of the panel a couple of weeks ago with just the LEDs fitted into place 

attachicon.gifControl panel back 002 (750x273).jpg      attachicon.gifControl panel back 003 (750x271).jpg   

Back                                                                                                                                                                       Front

and this is the panel now with all the resistors fitted to the LEDS and the connections ready to hook up to the Mega points boards in the lower part of the control panel . I have been able  to keep the fascia panel separate up to this point of the construction but the next stage of the building will require working via the back of the panel box. I know that many people tend to fit hinges in this sort of construction but I wanted to steer clear of that as I feel that it can put stress on the wires which in turn can cause operational problems ..........I took peoples advice and marked all the functions of each position on the back of the panel so that I could keep my bearings and it was good advice thanks. Along the base of the wiring you can see that each Servo number is labelled ready to be connected to the control boards. The connectors that are marked with a red line denotes the off settings of each individual servo which will guide me when I come to wire up the final connections. 

We all remember at the outset of the DCC concept that the big selling point that was the TWO wire control .......well that soon got pushed into the annuals of time didn't it  :scratchhead: Well as this project keeps developing I have to admit that although there are a lot of wires involved the introduction of the Megapoints panels has drastically reduced the number of wires. This was very apparent when I was wiring in the LEDS for the two Tortoise slow acting point motors that are powering the three-way turnout ( you can see the connection blocks at the top left hand corner of the back panel ) ...... 

attachicon.gifHeaven NO Wires (750x683).jpg

Well maybe one day perhaps  :jester:

Have you got share in Wires and Diodes R US, ?

Super neat and functional, well done Martin.

No, it can be done, Camel Quay is two wire DCC. I.e. There is a two wire DCC bus running the length of the layout (only two wires across baseboard joins), everything is connected to the bus at the point of use. The problem arises when you try to mix and match DCC with traditional DC components. If you use right DCC components it can be done.

Part of CQ's wiring here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67862-camel-quay-a-north-cornwall-inspired-layout-in-4mm/?p=938525

Blimey Ray that's impressive Sir.....I take my hat off to you indeed  :superman: it really is a case of less is more if your doing everything through the DCC system ....the trouble with me is I would really struggle with that level of technology and to be honest I do like a lever frame so I reckon I have only myself to blame .......but point taken indeed  :sungum:

Have you got share in Wires and Diodes R US, ?

Super neat and functional, well done Martin.

Thanks Andy ...... I know it looks a bit of a chore but I'm enjoying the challenge to be honest and it keeps the grey matter alive :boast: .... as to having shares in 'Wires and Diodes R US I just shut my mind to the cost I'm afraid ...... :scared:

Spent the evening fighting with the soldiering lron again and having secured the mimic panel to the main control box I have wired up the threeway turnout LEDS into the main loom.  As I mentioned in my earlier post this is being wired in the traditional way with Tortoise Motors and as the following photograph shows it involves a lot of wiring

post-5136-0-19883200-1490486233.jpg

The bottom distribution board is the connection from the switches on the Lever Frame linking into the main loom from the layout and the top distribution board links into the LEDS on the mimic panel 

It will certainly make the linking  the servo operated turnouts a very easy and quick job compared to what I have completed this evening but it has resulted in the first set of indicting LEDS working on the panel 

post-5136-0-38557900-1490486543.jpg                                        post-5136-0-23319300-1490486556.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

To me a lever type frame feels right on a steam age railway. Maybe on a modern railway with the newer boxes it would seem old fashioned. Nice work as usual.

Don

Blimey Ray that's impressive Sir.....I take my hat off to you indeed  :superman: it really is a case of less is more if your doing everything through the DCC system ....the trouble with me is I would really struggle with that level of technology and to be honest I do like a lever frame so I reckon I have only myself to blame .......but point taken indeed  :sungum:

CQ will be getting a lever frame soon to complement DCC control, but it will still only be two wires connected to the bus. I quite like the DCC concepts S lever, just need to save up a few more pennies. Watch this space:  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67862-camel-quay-a-north-cornwall-inspired-layout-in-4mm/?p=2664887

Ray.

• Like 1

To me a lever type frame feels right on a steam age railway. Maybe on a modern railway with the newer boxes it would seem old fashioned. Nice work as usual.

Don

Totally agree with you there Don. There's something about pulling a lever to change a turnout or signal and with the Megapoints signal bounce and especially the final pull up it just feels RIGHT  :senile: ... I just feel that putting codes into a computer somehow takes the 'romance' out of it and to be honest I get confused remembering Locomotive address's and sound functions then add to that turnout / signal address's I'd go into TOTAL MELT-DOWN  :scared:  :scared:

CQ will be getting a lever frame soon to complement DCC control, but it will still only be two wires connected to the bus. I quite like the DCC concepts S lever, just need to save up a few more pennies. Watch this space:  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67862-camel-quay-a-north-cornwall-inspired-layout-in-4mm/?p=2664887

Ray.

I like the look of the DCC concepts S lever too but (and this is only my personal view) I have doubts about the quality of some of their equipment having had problems with their point motors as has my friend Shedman (Trevor) and the cost is  just too much. I personally would prefer the Model Signal Engineering brass lever frame which I have lined up for the next project....But I will follow you thread with interest and will keep an open mind as what you have do done on CQ is impressive   :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

Using DCC for turnouts and signals only makes sense to me if you create a computer screen where you can click on a turnout to change it. Avoids all those addresses but it is too modern for a steam railway. I think the Megapoints Mimic diagram works without using DCC although you can connect them up to dcc in addition. I like the options you have chosen.

Don 

Using DCC for turnouts and signals only makes sense to me if you create a computer screen where you can click on a turnout to change it. Avoids all those addresses but it is too modern for a steam railway. I think the Megapoints Mimic diagram works without using DCC although you can connect them up to dcc in addition. I like the options you have chosen.

Don 

Spot on there Don I was checking out some information on their website only last night and Dave has added a few new information videos and it's amazing what applications you hook the system into. 

I like the look of the DCC concepts S lever too but (and this is only my personal view) I have doubts about the quality of some of their equipment having had problems with their point motors as has my friend Shedman (Trevor) and the cost is just too much. I personally would prefer the Model Signal Engineering brass lever frame which I have lined up for the next project....But I will follow you thread with interest and will keep an open mind as what you have do done on CQ is impressive :sungum:

I know what you mean, I've had a few failures with some early Cobalts and even one or two later ones, but they do live up to their lifetime guarentee. I just keep sending them back for replacement. So far the replacements have been fine. I'm not aware of any problems with the cobalt s levers though.

The scalefour lever frame also looks nice and like the MSE frame is in kit form and could save a few pennies.

Of course you could go the hole hog with a Modratec frame with full mechanical interlocking if you can work work it all out.

Edited by tender
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I know what you mean, I've had a few failures with some early Cobalts and even one or two later ones, but they do live up to their lifetime guarentee. I just keep sending them back for replacement. So far the replacements have been fine. I'm not aware of any problems with the cobalt s levers though.

The scalefour lever frame also looks nice and like the MSE frame is in kit form and could save a few pennies.

Of course you could go the hole hog with a Modratec frame with full mechanical interlocking if you can work work it all out.

The free software from Moderatec will help work out the locking you require. Otherwise it is not too difficult to work it out for yourself. Stationmaster Mike was very helpful in understanding the locking at Dolgelley. In pregrouping days there was a block section the width of a signal post and several signals were slotted so both boxes had to operate the signals. The key to it is avoiding conflicting moves and avoiding turnouts being moved under a moving train. 

Don

The free software from Moderatec will help work out the locking you require. Otherwise it is not too difficult to work it out for yourself. Stationmaster Mike was very helpful in understanding the locking at Dolgelley. In pregrouping days there was a block section the width of a signal post and several signals were slotted so both boxes had to operate the signals. The key to it is avoiding conflicting moves and avoiding turnouts being moved under a moving train. 

Don

Thanks for that information Don it's always good to know what's out there well before the planning of a project gives one time to check things out well in advance :scratchhead: