gismorail

When I was discussing the sevo controller with Dave Fenton he said he was adding the facility to extend the wiring from the set up buttons so you could work them remotely which would mean you could set them up watching the signal movement hard to do on your back under a baseboard. If you oook in the manual section on the Megapoint website  there is a PDF here http://megapointscontrollers.com/megapoints/docs/MegaPointsControllerUserGuideRev24.pdf which mentions the remote control connector. I dont think it is on my elarlier board.

Don

ps The great hing about the Megapoint bounce is it is random so each move can be slightly different. You can select bounce or no bounce according to whether you are operating signals or something else like a turnout or a gate.

Wow thanks for that Don not spotted that bit before, there's so much information on Dave's website it's easy to miss things it sure will be better that way than trying to do its on ones back . I just love this Meggapoints system is has brought model railways into the future, once silly old gits like me get our heads around it  :jester:  :jester:

Hi Martin. In post 122 above DonW, (Thanks DonW), very kindly gives a link to how to make a remote control. Look at Page 7 and you find that all you need is a box to put 4 push buttons on, two lengths of Servo cable each with a plug on, 4 pushbuttons and a bit of soldering. If you can wait till after Stafford, when I will get my own Megapoints controller, I'll make each of us one. Just let me know how long a a lead it will need! Trev

That'll do me Trev your a 'Gentleman and as keep telling you their's not many of us left ' You will enjoy working with this system and as you have  a very 'logical mind ' you will pick up a lot more than I have.I can only imagine this is for your 'switcher' layout ....I keep looking at the Finger Lakes Short Line on Youtube it really is good and very temping  :tease:  

• RMweb Gold

Just for interest this was how far I got with a mounting for a servo this is designed for an 0 gauge signal and to be removable from the scenic side 

post-8525-0-81363300-1433839293_thumb.jpg

The idea was to be able to build the signal on top then connect up to the servo and get it working on the bench and drop it into its slot, rather than having to connect up under the baseboard. I will let you know how well it works when I can get back to it.

Don

edit it is of course laid on its side in the photo.
Edited by Donw
  • Like 1

Behave. :nono: 

did a bit of Rail fanning last year and stumbled upon The finger Lakes Shortline operation at Watkins Glen .........remote control shunting awesome 

Will post some pics when I find them  :jester:

Just for interest this was how far I got with a mounting for a servo this is designed for an 0 gauge signal and to be removable from the scenic side 

The idea was to be able to build the signal on top then connect up to the servo and get it working on the bench and drop it into its slot, rather than having to connect up under the baseboard. I will let you know how well it works when I can get back to it.

Don

edit it is of course laid on its side in the photo.

Be very interested to see how you get on Don in 0 gauge it should be awesome . To be honest I haven't put my mind to how I'm going to tackle signals as yet  :scratchhead:

• Like 1

Wiring update 

Been busy continuing with the installation of Loom Two on Board 1. All similar to board 2 but have spent time making sure that the position of the Loom will not interfere with any other future installations like the working level crossing on the main line as it enters the layout from the fiddle yard and the operating gate into the Mill from the Cattle Dock siding as both of these will require further servo's installed beneath the boards. Both of these will form a separate loom which will run to the Control panel along the front of the layout making them easy to follow in the future. 

post-5136-0-46824300-1485474069.jpg                post-5136-0-56312700-1485474084.jpg

Photographs from tonight's work ............

The first photo shows the Loom picking up the wires from fitted point servo's as well as connections from signals still to be built and installed on the layout at a later date. It is important to remember these items now whilst the loom is being installed so that I don't have to add the extra wiring when the signals are installed which would then start to muddle up the consistency and then make fault finding difficult ( this was a mistake that I committed on Chester Northgate Shed and wanted to avoid doing it a second time )  Photograph 2 is taken from the other end of Board 1 and shows the mass of cable ends awaiting installation into the Megga Points control board which will be sited in the first segment of board 1 . The use of the three ribbon cable as made it very easy the add ID  labels rather having to deal with a mass of single wires, this fact alone has made the cost of purchasing the reel of servo cable well worth it. 

I have sent off for some Sub-D plugs 25 pin connectors and once these arrive I can start to consider the installation of the Meggapoint panels. They are being shipped from China so be interesting to see how long they take ....postage was  FREE  :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:

Wiring update 

Been busy continuing with the installation of Loom Two on Board 1. All similar to board 2 but have spent time making sure that the position of the Loom will not interfere with any other future installations like the working level crossing on the main line as it enters the layout from the fiddle yard and the operating gate into the Mill from the Cattle Dock siding as both of these will require further servo's installed beneath the boards. Both of these will form a separate loom which will run to the Control panel along the front of the layout making them easy to follow in the future. 

attachicon.gifLoom 2 first board 01.jpg                attachicon.gifLoom 2 first board 02.jpg

Photographs from tonight's work ............

The first photo shows the Loom picking up the wires from fitted point servo's as well as connections from signals still to be built and installed on the layout at a later date. It is important to remember these items now whilst the loom is being installed so that I don't have to add the extra wiring when the signals are installed which would then start to muddle up the consistency and then make fault finding difficult ( this was a mistake that I committed on Chester Northgate Shed and wanted to avoid doing it a second time )  Photograph 2 is taken from the other end of Board 1 and shows the mass of cable ends awaiting installation into the Megga Points control board which will be sited in the first segment of board 1 . The use of the three ribbon cable as made it very easy the add ID  labels rather having to deal with a mass of single wires, this fact alone has made the cost of purchasing the reel of servo cable well worth it. 

I have sent off for some Sub-D plugs 25 pin connectors and once these arrive I can start to consider the installation of the Meggapoint panels. They are being shipped from China so be interesting to see how long they take ....postage was  FREE  :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:

That's looking super mate, I had some Magnets from China and they took about a week with Free Postage as well.

Keep the pics coming buddy.

Thanks Andy really pleased with progress at the moment feel that I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel at last though I know there's a long way to go  :scratchhead:

Hoping that the connectors will be delivered next week and once they arrive I can get some idea as to which is the best way to route the cables into the Meggapoints control boards. In the meantime I have the Kadee uncoupling magnets to wire up and also start to design the main control panel which will be fun  :scared:

Not to mention the kitchen refit which is starting to take shape ....... got the window bricked up and the ceiling out and am having to replace some of the floor joist ends which is testing my carpentry skills ........ it's amazing what you can learn from model railway base board construction  :triniti:

Evening all just a quick update on further progress ...still awaiting the Chinese 'Take Away' in the form of Sub-D connectors so I have wired up the Kadee 'Magne-Electric' uncoupling devices that I installed prior to the track work being laid ( post 36 page 2) This type of uncoupling device have only been installed on the main running lines as unlike the normal Kadee track magnets which are 'always' active the 'Magne-Electric' type are only activated when an electrical charge is present therefore it eliminates the chance of uncoupling stock in a train as it passes. Each device is individually activated via a 'push to make' contact button and operates on 16 volt DC supply with this I mind I have sited each switch in the back of the base board adjacent to the location for easy siting when in operation. 

The first task was to site each activation button in the required location so I cut a hole in the base board back using a hole cutter. 

post-5136-0-37307200-1485818491.jpg  

The lower section of the base board has had double ply construction to facilitate the installation of these switches as well as adding strength 

post-5136-0-45473600-1485818721.jpg

A further 3mm ply mounting plate bolted over the hole to hold the switch in place. The button is well recessed into the board therefore eliminating the chance of damage during storage or transportation of the layout. 

post-5136-0-25419100-1485818743.jpg

I have included a shot of the last uncoupler in the line of five in total as it shows a clear shot of the wiring loom, Black is the negative / common and yellow is the live control .

post-5136-0-84885700-1485819389.jpg

The power supply is a simply plug in two pin connector into the base board which will take it's supply from a separate power source as recommended by Kadee. The whole loom / installation is fully enclosed within the two boards making it a self contained system.

Hope this has been of interest to anyone thinking of installing this type of system and although there is more involved installation wise compared to the normal Kadee track magnet it takes away the risk and frustration of trains becoming uncoupled when passing over the device. 

• Like 2

Been busy again tonight ...burning the midnight oil again ....started about 8 0 clock and woooooosh .................it's midnight  :nono:

Made a start on building the control panel tonight.... as normal it's a build and design project.... got an idea somewhere in the grey matter as to how it's going to look but at this moment in time haven't a clue how I'm going to build it  :scratchhead: ..but firstly a bit of a background to my thinking...

My first venture into DCC control was with a ZTC system which I was very pleased with, it was good to operate and very compact as a unit for setting up on the layout , unfortunately it did not keep up with the advances that were being made by other systems so I purchased a Gaugemaster Prodigy which I still have to this day even through after nearly five years good service I have found that some of the buttons tend to stick so this has now been relegated to the test track in the workshop. With the building of Chester Northgate Shed and the prospect of exhibiting the layout I opted for the Lenz Digital Plus LZV100 system and have not looked back since it's absolutely brilliant and very easy to operate and program. The one downfall that I have found with both these later systems compared to the ZTC unit is the amount of wires and electrical bits and pieces that are involved so I set myself a task to build a self contained operating box for both systems to eliminate all the wires and connections being all over the place making it easy to use and be interchangeable between different layouts. 

The Gaugemaster Prodigy is probably the worst of the two systems and the components tend to be fragile so I felt that something needed to be made to keep things safe from damage.....  

post-5136-0-08929900-1485998808.jpg

I made up a simple 'staging shelves' using threaded bar to allow adjustments and the components are held in place with electrical ties and self adhesive material strip, 

post-5136-0-75400200-1485998949.jpg

The front of the unit has simple plug in connectors for main and program tracks. The blue box on top of the unit is a home made switching device to change between programming / operating mode made by my good friend Trevor ( gadget man )  :superman:   

post-5136-0-58103900-1485999436.jpg

In the final picture the unit sitting on a shelf alongside the test track / rolling road ....nice a tidy and out of the way  :sungum:

The Lenz Digital Plus is a far more robust unit and I know that this is going to be the main exhibition controller so I wanted to make the unit as portable and compact as possible. 

post-5136-0-76599300-1485999940.jpg

On the front of the unit I have put the two sets of plugs and switch for programming / operating mode The Express-net unit for the hand controllers and the main box which has an led on the front to indicate any short circuits 

post-5136-0-42772900-1486000226.jpg

This picture shows the wiring within the unit making easy access to plugs on the backs of the units for when I what to extend the system on a larger layout. 

post-5136-0-99441100-1486000372.jpg

The final picture shows the rubber feet that I have put on the base and the electrical tie that holds the main unit in place.

I want the control panel on Chumley End to be totally self contained and fixed to the back of the layout in the middle so that it will minimise the amount of cross baseboard connections also with the Megga points system the only wires going to the panel will be switching wires as the main panel is to be located one board 1. 

My first attempts...........

post-5136-0-14680200-1486001637.jpg

and further ideas !!!!! 

post-5136-0-77428500-1486001760.jpg

Will have to see what develops during the next couple days and I will post further ramblings then 

• Like 2

Been busy again tonight ...burning the midnight oil again ....started about 8 0 clock and woooooosh .................it's midnight  :nono:

Made a start on building the control panel tonight.... as normal it's a build and design project.... got an idea somewhere in the grey matter as to how it's going to look but at this moment in time haven't a clue how I'm going to build it  :scratchhead: ..but firstly a bit of a background to my thinking...

My first venture into DCC control was with a ZTC system which I was very pleased with, it was good to operate and very compact as a unit for setting up on the layout , unfortunately it did not keep up with the advances that were being made by other systems so I purchased a Gaugemaster Prodigy which I still have to this day even through after nearly five years good service I have found that some of the buttons tend to stick so this has now been relegated to the test track in the workshop. With the building of Chester Northgate Shed and the prospect of exhibiting the layout I opted for the Lenz Digital Plus LZV100 system and have not looked back since it's absolutely brilliant and very easy to operate and program. The one downfall that I have found with both these later systems compared to the ZTC unit is the amount of wires and electrical bits and pieces that are involved so I set myself a task to build a self contained operating box for both systems to eliminate all the wires and connections being all over the place making it easy to use and be interchangeable between different layouts. 

The Gaugemaster Prodigy is probably the worst of the two systems and the components tend to be fragile so I felt that something needed to be made to keep things safe from damage.....  

attachicon.gifControl Panel 01 009 (750x714).jpg

I made up a simple 'staging shelves' using threaded bar to allow adjustments and the components are held in place with electrical ties and self adhesive material strip, 

attachicon.gifControl Panel 01 010 (450x750).jpg

The front of the unit has simple plug in connectors for main and program tracks. The blue box on top of the unit is a home made switching device to change between programming / operating mode made by my good friend Trevor ( gadget man )  :superman:   

attachicon.gifControl Panel 01 011 (750x405).jpg

In the final picture the unit sitting on a shelf alongside the test track / rolling road ....nice a tidy and out of the way  :sungum:

The Lenz Digital Plus is a far more robust unit and I know that this is going to be the main exhibition controller so I wanted to make the unit as portable and compact as possible. 

attachicon.gifControl Panel 01 005 (750x347).jpg

On the front of the unit I have put the two sets of plugs and switch for programming / operating mode The Express-net unit for the hand controllers and the main box which has an led on the front to indicate any short circuits 

attachicon.gifControl Panel 01 003 (750x223).jpg

This picture shows the wiring within the unit making easy access to plugs on the backs of the units for when I what to extend the system on a larger layout. 

attachicon.gifControl Panel 01 006 (750x323).jpg

The final picture shows the rubber feet that I have put on the base and the electrical tie that holds the main unit in place.

I want the control panel on Chumley End to be totally self contained and fixed to the back of the layout in the middle so that it will minimise the amount of cross baseboard connections also with the Megga points system the only wires going to the panel will be switching wires as the main panel is to be located one board 1. 

My first attempts...........

attachicon.gifControl Panel 01 007 (750x603).jpg

and further ideas !!!!! 

attachicon.gifControl Panel 01 001 (750x576).jpg

Will have to see what develops during the next couple days and I will post further ramblings then 

Liking it Martin. Very thorough as usual. 2.22am???!!!!! Trevor

Excellent workmanship young man, Wires are my worst nightmare, every time I put Controllers away they have a game, and when I get them out they've tied themselves into knots.

That / those units look like a super idea Martin, I cant wait to see it later in the year.

Well done and also THANKS for all the pics and explanatory notes.

Excellent workmanship young man, Wires are my worst nightmare, every time I put Controllers away they have a game, and when I get them out they've tied themselves into knots.

That / those units look like a super idea Martin, I cant wait to see it later in the year.

Well done and also THANKS for all the pics and explanatory notes.

Thanks Andy....it's a bit of a gripe of mine to be honest , all this technical stuff for railways and it's a nightmare in wires and boxes and having it sat on the floor below the layout it's only going to get damaged.I hope it gives others ideas as to manage the systems in  their own situations as we all have different ways of doing things 

Thanks Andy....it's a bit of a gripe of mine to be honest , all this technical stuff for railways and it's a nightmare in wires and boxes and having it sat on the floor below the layout it's only going to get damaged.I hope it gives others ideas as to manage the systems in  their own situations as we all have different ways of doing things 

With West Shed I built in holder at the end, under the Fiddle Yard, and so convenient.

post-9335-0-83804300-1486047200_thumb.jpg

And with Britvic it's already built in.

post-9335-0-41294900-1486047278_thumb.jpg

So much better

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The boxes for the controllers look to ideal good work. My choice for DCC was Lenz I started with the Compact and upgraded to the LV100. I have both the LH100 and LH90 controls I do find the knob on the LH90 for speed control handy as it comes naturally after years of DC stuff.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

In exactly the same place as you. I have a digitrax zephyr, PM42 (which comes without a cover) and SSB gateway which I want to build into some sort of box/panel so that they are not fixed on one layout (not that I even have one yet).

Paul.

In exactly the same place as you. I have a digitrax zephyr, PM42 (which comes without a cover) and SSB gateway which I want to build into some sort of box/panel so that they are not fixed on one layout (not that I even have one yet).

Paul.

Paul I think many in this hobby are in the same place too. My mine concern apart from convenience was the worry that damage would occur ..... I'm a bit clumsy to be honest but these things happen. Hope you find a solution.

More progress today as it's been wet and windy here today so I just shut myself in the shed and got on with the control panel .....made up with the insulation in my new shed as despite the gale force wind outside I couldn't hear anything of it inside......or was it because I had planet Rock on too loud  :triniti:  :triniti:

:offtopic: Before I get too involved in today's progress I'd like to share a cracking find in Wicks DIY  I was looking for some thin ply board for the control panel display and found that they are now stocking this 

it's excellent quality cuts an absolute dream ... post-5136-0-51221800-1486167809.jpg .

the use of these Laminate cutting blades for the jig-saw helps   post-5136-0-88162900-1486168937.jpg

Feel that it will be a really good medium for the construction of buildings etc .. not sure how often they stock it but if your looking for this type of ply cheque it out...

Well after further thought I carried out putting the control panel together , now as I've said before I tend to ....BUILD & DESIGN...... so I'm not going to show all the discarded bits of wood and ply-board or even repeat the blasphemous words of encouragement that have to uttered today .... but this is what has come out of today's labour's ...........

post-5136-0-49060800-1486168541.jpg   An idea starts to develop so a quick mock up is clamped together to see what it looks like. 

I decided that rather than having a full frontal sloped control panel I would make a lower shelf to locate switches and controls ..... I have in the past modified  Peco point switches when I made a panel for the garden layout I had at a previous house and found that they worked well and added a bit of ' fun' to the operating sessions. Being a hoarder I still have the switches so I'm about to do some 'recycling'   :beee: which is a bit modern and in the loop for me normally  :jester:

post-5136-0-23014700-1486169579.jpg  post-5136-0-68051900-1486169597.jpg

If your wandering how the angle was cut on the middle and top cross members I have a secret weapon 

post-5136-0-38749800-1486169941.jpg   A wonderful Proxxon bench saw which is worth it's weight in gold 

post-5136-0-29014300-1486169623.jpg

Thats all for now Folks 

Looking forward to Stafford Show tomorrow ....errrrr today   !!!!!! I mean  :jester:

• Like 4

More progress today as it's been wet and windy here today so I just shut myself in the shed and got on with the control panel .....made up with the insulation in my new shed as despite the gale force wind outside I couldn't hear anything of it inside......or was it because I had planet Rock on too loud  :triniti:  :triniti:

:offtopic: Before I get too involved in today's progress I'd like to share a cracking find in Wicks DIY  I was looking for some thin ply board for the control panel display and found that they are now stocking this 

it's excellent quality cuts an absolute dream ... attachicon.gifControlpanel construction 005 (392x750).jpg .

the use of these Laminate cutting blades for the jig-saw helps   attachicon.gifControlpanel construction 009 (750x428).jpg

Feel that it will be a really good medium for the construction of buildings etc .. not sure how often they stock it but if your looking for this type of ply cheque it out...

Well after further thought I carried out putting the control panel together , now as I've said before I tend to ....BUILD & DESIGN...... so I'm not going to show all the discarded bits of wood and ply-board or even repeat the blasphemous words of encouragement that have to uttered today .... but this is what has come out of today's labour's ...........

attachicon.gifControlpanel construction 003 (742x750).jpg   An idea starts to develop so a quick mock up is clamped together to see what it looks like. 

I decided that rather than having a full frontal sloped control panel I would make a lower shelf to locate switches and controls ..... I have in the past modified  Peco point switches when I made a panel for the garden layout I had at a previous house and found that they worked well and added a bit of ' fun' to the operating sessions. Being a hoarder I still have the switches so I'm about to do some 'recycling'   :beee: which is a bit modern and in the loop for me normally  :jester:

attachicon.gifControlpanel construction 006 (750x591).jpg  attachicon.gifControlpanel construction 007 (738x750).jpg

If your wandering how the angle was cut on the middle and top cross members I have a secret weapon 

attachicon.gifControlpanel construction 004 (750x616).jpg   A wonderful Proxxon bench saw which is worth it's weight in gold 

attachicon.gifControlpanel construction 008 (750x736).jpg

Thats all for now Folks 

Looking forward to Stafford Show tomorrow ....errrrr today   !!!!!! I mean  :jester:

Looking good, is that, Martin !  Gonna be some weight to it, too, when it's full of control gear and cabling. Will it be on legs or fixed to the side of the layout baseboards ?

Neat trick with the Peco switches - not seen that done before ! 

Looking good, is that, Martin !  Gonna be some weight to it, too, when it's full of control gear and cabling. Will it be on legs or fixed to the side of the layout baseboards ?

Neat trick with the Peco switches - not seen that done before ! 

Thanks Andy ... weight not too bad it's going to fit on the back of the base boards in the middle across the joint. the Peco switches take a bit of filing down to get the brass rod to slide over the lever but gives a bit of fun to the operation ..

• Like 1