gismorail

Good morning all.......following a dash into England yesterday to collect some building materials for my kitchen project.  I also ventured to the other side of the river Mersey and braved the diversions and traffic jams to visit Hattons new shop / warehouse in the fair town of Widnes. though to be honest it's not the most inspiring place on god's earth .....the main reason for my visit was to purchase some Peco point switches so that I could complete the control panel but alas what I needed had to be placed on order for postage....but it was worth the visit as I bought a crimson Bachmann auto coach for a future project.....  

In the evening I visited my good friend Rob who is the proud owner and creator of a rather splendid layout called 'Batley' which appeared in the Railway Modeller last year. During my visit I took the opportunity to give a couple of my recent purchases a good running session prior chipping them for use on my own layouts .

attachicon.gifphone 600 (405x500).jpg  attachicon.gifphone 601 (360x500).jpg  attachicon.gifphone 602 (418x500).jpg

The first was the exclusive Hattons / DJM model of the 14xx number 1470 complete with the Auto coach that I had purchased that day and although the setting of a Yorkshire Mill town was certainly not a place where such a pairing would have ventured in real life it did not look too out of place.

attachicon.gifphone 605 (500x281).jpg  attachicon.gifphone 604 (350x500).jpg  attachicon.gifphone 603 (300x500).jpg

The other locomotive that I needed running in was the Hornby Q6 which is for my Chester Northgate shed ......yes I do have it on good authority that one did appear there in the later 50's for a very short time probably for running trails on the very steep gradient of Harwarden Bank on the Wrexham to Bidston line. The Q6 was put through it's paces in charge of a 30 plus banana train......and coped with the task in fine style as this model does have quite remarkable pulling power.  :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive:

A rather enjoyable evening to be sure.... :sungum:

Crikey Martin, That looks Bl**dy amazin mate, I've just got the Hornby Autocoach, I had a look at the Bachmann one today, but the thought of BREAKING it apart to stick some Bodies inside frightened me.

I do like the Q6 as well, but even at Rule 1 I cant justify one on a Cornish BLT, hahah

Crikey Martin, That looks Bl**dy amazin mate, I've just got the Hornby Autocoach, I had a look at the Bachmann one today, but the thought of BREAKING it apart to stick some Bodies inside frightened me.

I do like the Q6 as well, but even at Rule 1 I cant justify one on a Cornish BLT, hahah

Nice Tool you have there matey, ahhah :no:  :no: :no:  :no:  :no:  

Hello Mr Beeching  :jester:

Just had to have the Bachmann auto coach couldn't resist  :onthequiet: and it had to be up to the standard of the 14xx absolute beauty in my humble opinion  :boast: DJM has done a cracking job , I'll just have to be super careful breaking in to place some passengers ...... although it's not meant for Chumley End I'm sure I can arrange a special from Wrexham Central ...well rule one as you would say.

The Q6 is a stunner and the pulling power is impressive ...  I too really can't see one being justified in Cornwall either never mind ..... unless you do a Heritage Railway  :tomato:

The crimping tool is a good purchase and I can see myself find plenty of jobs for it in the future .....

Thanks for you kind comments ....... and don't be too long sorting the new layout.....

• Like 2

I'm pleased Hobby King sent you a crimping tool and not a 12v industrial soldering iron as they did me. Never mind, I put mine to good use when it finally came, and put a five pin servo plug on a cable for your megapoints controller remote box, which is now finished, tested and working when you need it. Hope the kitchen is progressing well.

Keep up the good work, Trevor

• Like 1

I'm pleased Hobby King sent you a crimping tool and not a 12v industrial soldering iron as they did me. Never mind, I put mine to good use when it finally came, and put a five pin servo plug on a cable for your megapoints controller remote box, which is now finished, tested and working when you need it. Hope the kitchen is progressing well.

Keep up the good work, Trevor

Thanks Trev glad you got one in the end. Look forward to seeing the gadget .....another one great :senile:  ...will be in touch Cheers 

A little progress this evening in as much I have wired up the 25 pin connector led between the two baseboards. It's when one is doing a job like this that you realise that you are possibly starting to lose all form of sanity.......either that or you really do like burning the ends of your fingers just for the fun of it :senile: ...... what one does to achieve things in this hobby !!!!    

post-5136-0-49305700-1487290691.jpg

Anyhow it's done now and following a check with the electrical metre everything is going to were it's supposed too  :scratchhead: I think ? I need to get some of that cable wrap for it which should help it to hang a bit more evenly...

post-5136-0-34362500-1487291427.jpg

The control panel has had the level frame base plate fitted for the twelve point and signal switches and I have also positioned the ground frame levers in place, this operates the tandem point that is at the head of the main goods yard. Because this is operated by tortoise point motors that require an on/on DTDP I have not been able to use Peco point levers so I have modified a couple of ordinary toggle switches by extending them with some brass tube and rod to match the main lever frame idea. I have soldered a brass bar on the main switch lever so that the second lever cannot be operated when the point blades are in straight position ......... home made locking device I suppose but it will do the job and stop the blades getting damaged if the point is operated incorrectly. 

• Like 1

Excellent Martin, you see again this is where a professional like you does things properly, I do like the interlocking device, cracking idea and will also add to the operation as well as saving breaking Points.  

Thanks Andy your too kind.   Making up those 25 pin connectors does try one's patience though  :scratchhead: but it's done now so hey ho off we go to the next stage ...... I'm pleased with the 'locking' device for the tandem point , I had a rotary switch for the one on Chester Northgate shed which operated via a matrix which my good friend Shedman (Trevor) made up for me very kindly but I needed something very simple for this layout ...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've done 25way connectors and they do try one's patience. There is a sense of achievement once completed - the same as you get when you stop banging your head against a wall!

I like your interlocking - simple but effective.

Paul.

• Like 1

Good afternoon fellow modellers and others who are affected by the draw of this addictive hobby.... :jester:

Just so that don't think that I've fell off the edge of the world or just simply given up the will to live whilst dealing with the soldering of many wires but the truth is that kitchen reconstruction duties have had to take preference to any quality time in the railway shed so far this week as I have a plasterer booked for next Saturday and much plaster boarding has to be completed by then.   

However I would like to report that whilst going about my reconstruction duties today there has be the wonderful sound of a GWR steam whistle echoing around the Dee Valley and a quick look out of the kitchen window I can see Large Praire Tank - no 5199 and four Mk1 brown and cream coaches trundling up to Corwen in the distance. .......who's a luck guy then  :senile:  :sungum: looks like spring is in the air as it's the first week of operations on the Llangollen Railway 

• Like 4

Good afternoon fellow modellers and others who are affected by the draw of this addictive hobby.... :jester:

Just so that don't think that I've fell off the edge of the world or just simply given up the will to live whilst dealing with the soldering of many wires but the truth is that kitchen reconstruction duties have had to take preference to any quality time in the railway shed so far this week as I have a plasterer booked for next Saturday and much plaster boarding has to be completed by then.   

However I would like to report that whilst going about my reconstruction duties today there has be the wonderful sound of a GWR steam whistle echoing around the Dee Valley and a quick look out of the kitchen window I can see Large Praire Tank - no 5199 and four Mk1 brown and cream coaches trundling up to Corwen in the distance. .......who's a luck guy then  :senile:  :sungum: looks like spring is in the air as it's the first week of operations on the Llangollen Railway 

Yes very lucky indeed matey, still I'll soon have my GWR BLT on the go, Panniers, Prairies, Collett Goods, Dean Goods (when it comes out) all in GWR, and for the Southern stuff, M7, T9 and an N all in Maunsell Green. CANT WAIT.

BTW you need a Web Cam fitted up by your Kitchen window, that we can all log into.

• Like 1

Yes very lucky indeed matey, still I'll soon have my GWR BLT on the go, Panniers, Prairies, Collett Goods, Dean Goods (when it comes out) all in GWR, and for the Southern stuff, M7, T9 and an N all in Maunsell Green. CANT WAIT.

BTW you need a Web Cam fitted up by your Kitchen window, that we can all log into

Now's there's an idea the trouble is once the leaves grow on the tree's you can only see the steam rising above the train, that's why it's best now and in the fall. :O

• Like 1

Now's there's an idea the trouble is once the leaves grow on the tree's you can only see the steam rising above the train, that's why it's best now and in the fall. :O

I've got a mate with a CHAINSAW,  :O   See you at the weekend, :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:     

I've missed this topic up to now, but very nice indeed.

I like that crimping tool, I'm going down the route of servos and Megapoints board for my signals that Jon built, and after spending a couple of hours reading the instructions on the Megapoints system I might need one for extra wiring for my points!!!

Myself and Mrs Jinty saw 5199 at Llangollen and Carrog on Sunday, after a little run out, we then ate at the Grouse in Carrog which was very pleasant, but you are a lucky man to have the sounds even in the summer just outside your door, even if you can't see anything but smoke!!!

(One of those brown and cream coaches has an E prefix!!!!!!!   :O )

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

I've missed this topic up to now, but very nice indeed.

I like that crimping tool, I'm going down the route of servos and Megapoints board for my signals that Jon built, and after spending a couple of hours reading the instructions on the Megapoints system I might need one for extra wiring for my points!!!

Myself and Mrs Jinty saw 5199 at Llangollen and Carrog on Sunday, after a little run out, we then ate at the Grouse in Carrog which was very pleasant, but you are a lucky man to have the sounds even in the summer just outside your door, even if you can't see anything but smoke!!!

(One of those brown and cream coaches has an E prefix!!!!!!!   :O )

Jinty ;)

Hello Mr Jinty,

Glad you have enjoyed reading through my ramblings about Chumley End very much a figment of my tiny mind to be honest but what the hell it's fun. You will be very impressed by the Meggapoints system and the signal movement in 7mm will be impressive ......you could well feel the weight on a long pull  :jester: and the random bounce is excellent. The system takes some time to get ones head around but the thing to do is keep it simple because that's what it is. I for one am guilty of thinking that it's more complex than it really is to be honest, the most important thing is to follow the instructions from the offset. Make sure you set up in a dry run mode before fixing the servo's to points and signals and reset them into the factory setting before doing anything.......I discovered that last night as I couldn't get a particular servo to do what I wanted it to do so read through the instructions again and pick up on this advice and hey presto it worked as commanded.  :scratchhead:

I'm currently investigating getting some LEDS on the route diagram  to show which direction the point is set, I know that I could use a second micro switch opposite the polarity switch to do this but it would involve many wires and I know that it can be done via the Meggapoint system with very few wires just trying to sort out how this is going to be achieved .....thing an email to Dave is going to be the best way forward if I don't sort it in a couple of days .....he really is very helpful and gives excellent back up. 

Glad you enjoyed my local it's rather fine for good simple food isn't it, we must meet up sometime as Andy has been telling my about you excellent modelling skills on the 'Darkside'  :jester: you sure became an expensive friend following his last visit  :scared:

Regards Martin

• Like 1

Hi Martin,

Will you be using single pole ON/ON switches for the point operation ? If so, you could swap them for double pole ON/ON switches and the LED's would then be operated from the extra pole contacts on the switch - that would keep all the wiring for the LED's within the control panel.

Hi Martin,

Will you be using single pole ON/ON switches for the point operation ? If so, you could swap them for double pole ON/ON switches and the LED's would then be operated from the extra pole contacts on the switch - that would keep all the wiring for the LED's within the control panel.

Hi andi 4x4

I'm using the peco on/on switch for the servo operation and I'm not sure if I could use the extra pole on the Meggapoints ...the LEDS are operated via the separate MultiPanel board which I'm still trying to work out how this is done , just have to keep looking at the instruction vids. 

Hello Mr Beeching  :jester:

Just had to have the Bachmann auto coach couldn't resist  :onthequiet: and it had to be up to the standard of the 14xx absolute beauty in my humble opinion  :boast: DJM has done a cracking job , I'll just have to be super careful breaking in to place some passengers ...... although it's not meant for Chumley End I'm sure I can arrange a special from Wrexham Central ...well rule one as you would say.

The Q6 is a stunner and the pulling power is impressive ...  I too really can't see one being justified in Cornwall either never mind ..... unless you do a Heritage Railway  :tomato:

The crimping tool is a good purchase and I can see myself find plenty of jobs for it in the future .....

Thanks for you kind comments ....... and don't be too long sorting the new layout.....

You talked me into it!  :no:  :nono:  :scared:   Ordered a 14XX today in Great Western livery, :sungum:  cant wait for it to have something to run on. :O

Hi andi 4x4

I'm using the peco on/on switch for the servo operation and I'm not sure if I could use the extra pole on the Meggapoints ...the LEDS are operated via the separate MultiPanel board which I'm still trying to work out how this is done , just have to keep looking at the instruction vids. 

Hi Martin, as I understand it the Megapoints MultiPanel will enable the operation of 24 led's, two per servo operated by the Megapoints Controller, ie two per point or signal. This will leave you with having to find another method of dealing with LED's for your 3way point. Trevor

Evening all, further progress today on the wiring side of things. I have over the past week been working my way through the very comprehensive and informative user manuals provided by Megapoints Controllers be it in video or written manual form. It's certainly an amazing system which is capable of running the most complex layouts that we as modellers could produce and to be honest I'm am only scratching the edges of what it is capable of. Chumley End has eight points and four signals which are being operated by servo's and a level crossing and when one reads through the manuals which come with this system it is capable of operating just short of two hundred servo's in it's expanded form .......

As I have stated earlier on in this thread I was looking to 'break new ground' for me personally with the building of this layout and the use of servo's and a networking system to operating them was part of this. On the control panel I set myself the task of operating the points and signals by the use of a lever frame type which on this layout comes in the form of the Peco switches in a frame and I also want to have a track diagram that shows route setting by the use of LEDS. I know that the LEDS could be operated by having a second micro switch opposite the micro switch that operates the point polarity but this would mean a further three wires at each location back to the control panel .

Enter the Multipanel board which becomes the master over the Meggapoint Controller board and this enables me to control all the servo's   and LEDS via one cable containing three wires from the base boards to the control panel.... 

post-5136-0-54333300-1487894987.jpg

The  Multi panel board will be located within the control panel and will feed the wires to the switches (Peco passing contact switches) and the LEDS on the Track Diagram. The connection from the panel on the base board is via a network cable. 

• Like 1

Hi Martin

Been catching up with all your wiring antics and Megapoints stuff.

I see you are going to us the multi panel for the switches and LEDs on the control panel.

If I remember correctly the multi panel has only one led out for each Megapoint channel (24 in total) so a turnout position is shown by the LED being on or off. You can change this by adding the multi panel led extension board to give you two LEDs per channel so that they indicate the normal or thrown position of the turnout. Hope this helps.

Ray.