gismorail

Hi Martin

Been catching up with all your wiring antics and Megapoints stuff.

I see you are going to us the multi panel for the switches and LEDs on the control panel.

If I remember correctly the multi panel has only one led out for each Megapoint channel (24 in total) so a turnout position is shown by the LED being on or off. You can change this by adding the multi panel led extension board to give you two LEDs per channel so that they indicate the normal or thrown position of the turnout. Hope this helps.

Ray.

Hi Ray that's my next study session and I have noted this just been relieved to be able to use the peco lever frame switch as it was starting to become a bit of a brain twister as the PL23 switch was ok for the straight use of the megapoint board but a push to make button was required via the multipanel....then I had a Eureka moment and used the PL26 and it solved the problem. Does pose a question as my next layout I was planning to adapt the Sprat & Winkle lever frame via a slide switch so not sure where I go with that but I'm sure 'cleaver' Dave will know a way around it

Thanks for the heads up on the extension board though cheers

Still been busy on the electrical side of the layout and have been working out what's going where in the control panel. I have sited the Multi-Panel within the control panel and have wired in the Peco passing contact switches, just short of one which I will have to pick up next the I'm near a model shop. I am going to site an led colour light signal within each fiddle yard both will act as home signals to give the fiddle-yard operator the 'head's up' that the layout is ready to accept the next movement. These will be operated by the two outside levers in the form of Peco PL23 switches. Whilst working out the number of wires required for the connection from the main boards to the control panels my thoughts have turned to the operating level cross gates of which there will be a single track two gate for the main crossing and a single gate for the entry point to the feed mill which has access across the main road into the village. I have two servo's left on the megapoints control board but will need another servo for the mill gate and I have been looking at the Heathcote Electrical operating level crossing which comes complete as a kit ...... has anyone had any experience with this kit. ? 

post-5136-0-10233800-1488139318.jpg

The above picture shows the Mega-points multi-panel located on the internal shelf which extends beneath the main level frame, and the switch connectors are to the back near to the Peco switches, this means that the LED connections are within easy to access to the main track diagram, the LED extension board will be located to the right of the main board. 

post-5136-0-97623700-1488139925.jpg

The Second picture shows the level frame starting to take shape with the wired point and signal levers in place  wired up and awaiting the brass extension levels to complete. I have to carefully file the original  plastic switch lever so that the brass tube will fit over with a spot of hot glue to secure. 

post-5136-0-88243200-1488140246.jpg

The final photograph is a close up view of the track diagram in it's early stage of construction. The main base of the panel is plastic-card and the track diagram is marked out with Stripe Styrene 10.4 x 4.00 strips which are fixed to the plastic-card using Plastic-magic solvent glue . The whole panel with be spray painted and the track diagram highlighted with marker pen prior to fitting the LEDS which will show the direction of each turnout. Once completed the whole panel will be recessed into the main ply board back panel.  

• Like 1

Hi Martin,

There's a nifty Word document on the DCC concepts website for doing Mimic panels, I used it to good effect on CQ's panel.

You just cut and paste the relative symbols to make your panel, print it out and laminate it.

Rather than repost the pictures, Here's a link to how I did it.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67862-camel-quay-a-north-cornwall-inspired-layout-in-4mm/?p=2429370

Ray.

Edit for spelling.

Edited by tender

Hi Martin,

There's a nifty Word document on the DCC conceits website for doing Mimic panels, I used it to good effect on CQ's panel.

You just cut and paste the relative symbols to make your panel, print it out and laminate it.

Rather than repost the pictures, Here's a link to how I did it.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67862-camel-quay-a-north-cornwall-inspired-layout-in-4mm/?p=2429370

Ray.

That's very useful info Ray will have a good rumage through that when I get back home tomorrow night only got my smart phone with me on this trip. Trevor has just posted to see if I'm labelling the levers and panel. Thanks

Slowly but surely the weaving of electrical wires is progressing and I think I'm starting see the light at the end of the tunnel  :scratchhead: Still got one more 25 way connector to make between the main boards and the control panel but I have tackled the panel distribution end of this connector. The female connector once wired has been fitted onto the side of the control panel and the loom of wires have been carefully identified and set into a a block of wood in which I have cut slots so that each separate wire can be held. 

I adapted a banana plug for locating and identifying each separate wire by simply cutting off one of the clips and replacing with a copper probe to push into the female connector end 

post-5136-0-61073400-1488875920.jpg

and as each wire has been identified I mark of each location with a marker pen...

post-5136-0-46534600-1488875990.jpg

In the final shot you can see the nearly completed wiring loom distributed around the base of the control panel . To the far left hand side you can see the nest of wires required to power two tortoise motors which are located beneath the lever frame for the three way point that accesses the main goods yard. Compare this to the main Megapoints processor and LED extension boards in the central position beneath the main lever frame which control twelve servo's The only wires still to be added to these boards are the ones that will go to the track diagram LEDS which will be added once the panel has been made up. 

post-5136-0-87442500-1488876098.jpg

• Like 1

Time and patience Martin, and it's obviously paying off, I need to make a start on both of my projects, but I'm dreading it. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished article later in the year.

All the best mate.

Time and patience Martin, and it's obviously paying off, I need to make a start on both of my projects, but I'm dreading it. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished article later in the year.

All the best mate.

Thanks Andy, time is short but needed indeed, patience is vital but can wear very thin at times I have to be honest.  :triniti: sometimes feel that I'm going OTT at times but I'll finish what I started. The electrical side of model railways has always filled me with dread too but once you have got into the 'groove' it can be fun :drag:   :banghead:  :blackeye:

• Like 2

Thanks Andy, time is short but needed indeed, patience is vital but can wear very thin at times I have to be honest.  :triniti: sometimes feel that I'm going OTT at times but I'll finish what I started. The electrical side of model railways has always filled me with dread too but once you have got into the 'groove' it can be fun :drag:   :banghead:  :blackeye:

Believe that folke's, :O and you'll believe anything, :no:  :no:   :no:  hahhaha :sungum:

Positive thinking and half full glasses young man ........and I thought you were the 'Wizzard of Swad' wave you wand at it Andy and the wiring will do it'self  :locomotive:

TBH Martin, you inspired me to make a start on T's wiring yesterday, and I'm glad I did, :sungum: your right though, once you start you just need to keep going and get it done, I guess it's either a form of therapy :nono:  or torture :scared:  depending on how you look at it. :scratchhead:

Edited by Andrew P

TBH Martin, you inspired me to make a start on T's wiring yesterday, and I'm glad I did, :sungum: your right though, once you start you just need to keep going and get it done, I guess it's either a form of therapy :nono:  or torture :scared:  depending on how you look at it. :scratchhead:

I think it's probably both to be honest Andy  :scratchhead: although I believe that in reality it's about keeping track of where one is up to before you forget which wire goes to which connection . One thing that is for certain you have to be in the right frame of mind otherwise it's just going to be one big short circuit  :scared:  :scared: Having had a look at your progress so far I reckon you doing OK :good:  :good:

I'm still in the middle of control panel construction which is looking more a bowl of spaghetti each day  :sarcastic: will post an update when something of general interest is completed 

• Like 1

Well I think that today can go down as a day of achievement as I have finally completed the front of the control panel which seems to have taken ages to be honest. I seemed to have struggled to get this part of the control panel completed for some reason perhaps it's just me ....though I have to say that getting hold of the right type of Peco point switch has been at bit like looking for 'hens teeth' and I'm still awaiting for a delivery from an ebay supplier regarding a fixing plate ..... Most of them have been purchased from Hattons whom I've always had excellent service from but recently they have been running out of stock so perhaps there's a run on Peco point switches  :scratchhead: Just as an aside it's amazing the range of pricing for such items like Peco point switches at the cheaper end are Hattons who charge £5 per switch which to me is a fair price plus postage. Going through the Ebay supply chain the price can range from £6.95 to over £10 per switch and many of those are plus postage ( one joker was charging £4 postage for a switch)  :crazy:  

Anyhow back to the subject .......

post-5136-0-27160400-1489362006.jpg

General shot of the the controls..The seat of power  :triniti:

post-5136-0-50368700-1489362191.jpg

My attempt to produce a signal box track diagram 

post-5136-0-27940800-1489362529.jpg

The lever frame using Peco point switches modified with a brass tube to extend the height of the lever

the Goods Yard Frame is two normal DTDP switches as these are operated by tortoise motors 

post-5136-0-31009300-1489363197.jpg

Close up view of the lever frame with numbered levers and descriptions at the back

The points and signal levers 2 to 11 plus the two level crossing levers are Peco passing contact switches and levers 1 and 12 which operate the LED signals in each fiddle yard (adapted Beko colour light signals) to notify the fiddle yard operator that the line is ready for the next train are normal Peco switches PL23 The missing lever is for operating the road gate into the Mill which will be powered by a separate servo controller from Heathcote Electronics 

The LEDS on the track diagram which show the direction of the turnouts are panel mount 3mm indicators from a company called Farnell ( www,farnell.com ) their web site was recommend by Dave Fenton and is well worth a visit as there is an amazing selection of electrical bits and pieces for us railway modellers. The catch point has a single red LED indicator which will illuminate when the CP is in the opened position. The signal LED indicators are the smallest one I could get from Squires at the Preston Show the other weekend and the following photographs show how I have mounted them into the diagram board.

post-5136-0-51020500-1489364887.jpg  post-5136-0-67268900-1489364907.jpg

The labelling of the point / signals and descriptions has been done by a Brother Electrical hand held printer that I mentioned earlier on in the thread a really usefully piece of kit       ( Yes sorry another gadget :sungum: ) and the raised track diagram has been coloured in with a permanent marker pen. 

Have to admit that perhaps this has been somewhat of an indulgence doing all this imitation signal box thing and I know it's nothing like real life but hey ho it's going to be fun to operate especially at exhibitions .... in fact I think I might well try to add some homemade Block instruments later on in the build now that really would be exciting .... :senile:  :senile: ..ok ok I know get a life you sado !!!!!!!

In the meantime whats next ..........................post-5136-0-53114700-1489366067.jpg

Well.......'your next mission if you choose to accept it '  will be to make some form of sense of this lot....the underside of the track diagram ......and then connect it all to the Megapoints processor ..........

:jester: This message will self destruct in 5  4  3  2  1 secs    :jester:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Model railway electrics are mostly very simple circuits the complexity is in the number of them. One problem with wiring up control panels is all the wires being at the back so you can get confused as to what the wires connect to as you are looking at it upside down!. You can label the LEDs on a copy of the layout diagram then add the labels to the rear of the panel so you don't get confused. Alternatively once the holes have been drilled through the panel draw in the tracks on the rear. 

The other things is to test the circuits as you go. I can tell you even experienced telephone engineers can make mistakes. If you test as you go it is much easier than sorting it out later. Bill who I worked with was a very quick and neat jointer but it didn't help much when he had connected it up wrongly and people had the wrong telephone lines. Wouldn't take the time to check.

The Panel looks really good. One minor thing on some signal diagrams the turnouts are shown with a slight gap on the subsidiary route which helps to know when the lever needs to be reversed and what the 'normal' route is with the lever released. You seem to have done it with a black line. Perhaps it is much clearer in the flesh.

Don 

Well I think that today can go down as a day of achievement as I have finally completed the front of the control panel which seems to have taken ages to be honest. I seemed to have struggled to get this part of the control panel completed for some reason perhaps it's just me ....though I have to say that getting hold of the right type of Peco point switch has been at bit like looking for 'hens teeth' and I'm still awaiting for a delivery from an ebay supplier regarding a fixing plate ..... Most of them have been purchased from Hattons whom I've always had excellent service from but recently they have been running out of stock so perhaps there's a run on Peco point switches  :scratchhead: Just as an aside it's amazing the range of pricing for such items like Peco point switches at the cheaper end are Hattons who charge £5 per switch which to me is a fair price plus postage. Going through the Ebay supply chain the price can range from £6.95 to over £10 per switch and many of those are plus postage ( one joker was charging £4 postage for a switch)  :crazy:  

Anyhow back to the subject .......

attachicon.gifPanel front facial 001 (750x360).jpg

General shot of the the controls..The seat of power  :triniti:

attachicon.gifPanel front facial 002 (750x284).jpg

My attempt to produce a signal box track diagram 

attachicon.gifPanel front facial 003 (750x186).jpg

The lever frame using Peco point switches modified with a brass tube to extend the height of the lever

the Goods Yard Frame is two normal DTDP switches as these are operated by tortoise motors 

attachicon.gifPanel front facial 004 (750x293).jpg

Close up view of the lever frame with numbered levers and descriptions at the back

The points and signal levers 2 to 11 plus the two level crossing levers are Peco passing contact switches and levers 1 and 12 which operate the LED signals in each fiddle yard (adapted Beko colour light signals) to notify the fiddle yard operator that the line is ready for the next train are normal Peco switches PL23 The missing lever is for operating the road gate into the Mill which will be powered by a separate servo controller from Heathcote Electronics 

The LEDS on the track diagram which show the direction of the turnouts are panel mount 3mm indicators from a company called Farnell ( www,farnell.com ) their web site was recommend by Dave Fenton and is well worth a visit as there is an amazing selection of electrical bits and pieces for us railway modellers. The catch point has a single red LED indicator which will illuminate when the CP is in the opened position. The signal LED indicators are the smallest one I could get from Squires at the Preston Show the other weekend and the following photographs show how I have mounted them into the diagram board.

attachicon.gifPanel front facial 006 (750x359).jpg  attachicon.gifPanel front facial 007 (750x434).jpg

The labelling of the point / signals and descriptions has been done by a Brother Electrical hand held printer that I mentioned earlier on in the thread a really usefully piece of kit       ( Yes sorry another gadget :sungum: ) and the raised track diagram has been coloured in with a permanent marker pen. 

Have to admit that perhaps this has been somewhat of an indulgence doing all this imitation signal box thing and I know it's nothing like real life but hey ho it's going to be fun to operate especially at exhibitions .... in fact I think I might well try to add some homemade Block instruments later on in the build now that really would be exciting .... :senile:  :senile: ..ok ok I know get a life you sado !!!!!!!

In the meantime whats next ..........................attachicon.gifPanel front facial 005 (750x254).jpg

Well.......'your next mission if you choose to accept it '  will be to make some form of sense of this lot....the underside of the track diagram ......and then connect it all to the Megapoints processor ..........

:jester: This message will self destruct in 5  4  3  2  1 secs    :jester:

What did you do after Breakfast?

Seriously mate, that is really impressive, I like the extensions to the Peco Levers, I might COPY that idea.

Fantastic Martin - really impressive. Some imaginative work in this - love it! Trev

Thanks Trev hopefully will be fun to operate and should be easy to follow ....I hope not sure as to whether my logic is the same as everyone else's  :jester: 

• Like 1

Model railway electrics are mostly very simple circuits the complexity is in the number of them. One problem with wiring up control panels is all the wires being at the back so you can get confused as to what the wires connect to as you are looking at it upside down!. You can label the LEDs on a copy of the layout diagram then add the labels to the rear of the panel so you don't get confused. Alternatively once the holes have been drilled through the panel draw in the tracks on the rear. 

The other things is to test the circuits as you go. I can tell you even experienced telephone engineers can make mistakes. If you test as you go it is much easier than sorting it out later. Bill who I worked with was a very quick and neat jointer but it didn't help much when he had connected it up wrongly and people had the wrong telephone lines. Wouldn't take the time to check.

The Panel looks really good. One minor thing on some signal diagrams the turnouts are shown with a slight gap on the subsidiary route which helps to know when the lever needs to be reversed and what the 'normal' route is with the lever released. You seem to have done it with a black line. Perhaps it is much clearer in the flesh.

Don 

Thanks Don first job tonight will be to mark the underside of the diagram a simple and logical idea Sir many thanks. The use of the megapoints panels especially the processor board has massively reduced the number of wires in fact when I come to check out the servo 's to the points if I have simply put the wires in the wrong way round I can just reprogram the servo and reverse it which should make things easier.

I note you point about the gap on the turnouts on the diagram and I did look at doing that, in fact 'Tender' from near here in North Wales did give me a heads up about a word document that you can link into from the DCC web site but I couldn't  find it  and my printer would only print to A4 size. I did try a couple of mock ups on some spare plastic card but was not getting the effect anywhere near to what it should be so I gave up .....really failed on that one I'm afraid. One good thing about the servo operated turnouts when the power is switched off all servo's go to the non-powered position so I will make sure that this position is the main direction ....hope that makes sense  :scratchhead:

• Like 1

What did you do after Breakfast?

Seriously mate, that is really impressive, I like the extensions to the Peco Levers, I might COPY that idea.

HaHaHa........ was out in the wagon early doors this morning pushed my way through Birmingham by 5am .....the only time to visit that place ....what a nightmare that M6 is now ........sure the council will start to charge for parking soon during the day ......

On a Point of Order Martin,................................YOU'VE LEFT NO ROOM FOR MY COFFEE CUP. :O  :no:  :no:  :no:

Or was that deliberate? :nono:

:scared: Dam Dam and Double Dam you noticed Andy will have to get a special side mounted cup hold fitted ....... mind you...you  made such a bl--dy mess last time  :jester:  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

HaHaHa........ was out in the wagon early doors this morning pushed my way through Birmingham by 5am .....the only time to visit that place ....what a nightmare that M6 is now ........sure the council will start to charge for parking soon during the day ......

:scared: Dam Dam and Double Dam you noticed Andy will have to get a special side mounted cup hold fitted ....... mind you...you  made such a bl--dy mess last time  :jester:  :jester:

I know you and Andy are joking but coffee and electrical switches do not go well together so it is not a bad idea if there is not space to put a cup on the control panel and a suitable shelf nearby. When I was working in IT it was surprising how many keyboards had a coffee shower.

As for the Control Diagrams this may be the link you want to download the file https://www.dccconcepts.com/manual/mimic-board-art-tools/  Haven't tried using it myself . I don't see any point in doing another as yours looks good but you may want to do another some time.

Don

• Like 2

I know you and Andy are joking but coffee and electrical switches do not go well together so it is not a bad idea if there is not space to put a cup on the control panel and a suitable shelf nearby. When I was working in IT it was surprising how many keyboards had a coffee shower.

As for the Control Diagrams this may be the link you want to download the file https://www.dccconcepts.com/manual/mimic-board-art-tools/  Haven't tried using it myself . I don't see any point in doing another as yours looks good but you may want to do another some time.

Don

I think you are spot on about the lack of space for coffee cups on the control panel after all the work i would not be a happy bunny if it had a shower  :O . Thanks also for the link to the mimic board art tools I spent ages looking for that not couldn't find it anywhere but I'm am  IT  challenged to be honest will keep the link for any future diagrams that I produce. 

• Like 1