Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Keith Nock - President Uckfield Model Railway Club - "Mr Hobby Box"

BlueLightning

• RMweb Gold

Keith Nock
1936-2016

Uckfield Model Railway Club’s Chairman, President and one of only two remaining founder members, Keith Nock has sadly passed on.
The club was originally formed in Keith's living room in the 1970s and he is the only person to have maintained membership throughout.
Better known to many in the town as “Mr Hobby Box” thanks to his ownership of the Hobby Box shop in Framfield Road, Uckfield which he initially formed and ran with his then wife whilst having a full time job elsewhere. He then left his job and made the shop a full time activity. He retired from the business in 2005 and put his considerable energy into the model railway club,  guiding it through some challenging times and rarely missing a meeting in the years that followed, he attended his final meeting less than 2 weeks before his death.
Keith was for many the face of the club thanks to his presence on the door of this exhibition each year armed with a clip-board to ensure everything ran smoothly as well as his regular radio interviews, press coverage and attendance at many events in the town such as the Uckfield Festival.
Keith believed strongly in sharing knowledge and helped run the Uckfield Community Technology College's model railway club for many years as well as being the go-to man for many with model locomotives that for whatever reason would not function correctly.
Sadly Keith peacefully lost his battle against cancer on the 8th September with his wife by his side.
Keith leaves wife Irmi and son Martin to whom we send the condolences of our members

SIgned
The Directors of Uckfield MRC

EDIT:

Keith's funeral has now been arranged. If anyone would like to pay their respects to Keith then please PM me for details.

Very sorry to hear this.  This was my local model railway shop for several years, he was unfailingly helpful, extremely knowledgeable, and helped me out on many occasions.  Goaded me into re-wheeling a Trix Class 5 with fatigued wheels, by saying that it couldn't be done, memorable as the sole occasion that was able to put one over him, otherwise he was always way ahead of me!

• RMweb Gold

Very sad to hear about this.

I used to visit The Hobby Box about 30 years ago, driving over on the occasional Friday evening after work to get some layout bits.

Keith was always very helpful and most times the visit would end up by staying around for a chat about the hobby.

I last saw Keith last October when I was exhibiting at the Uckfield Show. My condolences to his family and friends.

RIP Keith.

Very sad news.

I remember some of the early meetings at Keith's house, then moving on to Mac's (?) loft, the glass castle, then maresfield, and the early exhibitions, and Keith was a solid guide to us all in all of that.

He spread a great deal of happiness by his contribution to the hobby.

Kevin

Sorry to hear this news about Keith, used to visit the shop regularly, with it being one of the closest to Tonbridge.  He also came and gave a workshop on repairing locos at the Tonbridge club one evening.  Condolences to his family.

Colin

Archived