All new RTR PGA wagon in 4mm scale

Grimleygrid

• 3 weeks later...

Whilst we await the first painted samples of our PGA wagon we are starting to turn our attention towards ideas for our next project.

The design work for the N gauge version of our PGA is underway and so we are keen to get some feedback and suggestions for future releases.

Later this week we will post a list of our choice of possible contenders.

Whilst we await the first painted samples of our PGA wagon we are starting to turn our attention towards ideas for our next project.

The design work for the N gauge version of our PGA is underway and so we are keen to get some feedback and suggestions for future releases.

FSA/FTA Container Flats! (you don't even need to worry about the containers, enough others make them, just the flats. Would fill the pre-privatisation gap nicely alongside The Hornby KFA and the Bachmann FFA/FGA (when ever they appear). Plus they're still in use now) But then I'm biased...

How about a BRT Covered Grain (the famed "Whiskey blues") wagon to modern standards as per Paul Bartlett's photos:

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brtgraincovhop

Depending on years covered you have a choice of UIC or Pedestal suspension, vac or air brakes, large livery selection (especially if the early years were covered, with removable/optional Whiskey advertising boards - of which several different brands could be seen within a short train in their earlier years especially).

They are suitable for running as an odd couple of wagons within a freight, right up to 30ish wagon block trains too.

Triang Hornby and Trix/Lilliput did models of the original versions; the latter is still in the Bachmann range (not sure it is even to correct "OO" scale either), but in any case, both are very dated in terms of detail.

Lima did a better OO model (imho) of the late Pedestal suspension version but this sits too high on the suspension and has long been unavailable new; I have seen no suggestion that Hornby plan to resurrect it either, even if they do have the tooling.

Peco did a 'N' version which afaik was stretched to fit their standard chassis.

All seem to have been popular over the years, but none have been done to current standards as yet.

Just my 10p worth anyway. . .

Here is a list of potential contenders that we have been considering for our next project:

PBA Lime/Aggregate bogie hopper
BBA Steel carrier
Pullman Mk2 coaches
PFA - Coal Container
Another PGA
PTA Iron ore/Aggregate bogie wagon
PFB/KFB Warflat
PHA/JHA Orenstein & Koppel Yeoman bogie hopper
PHA Ex-RMC bogie stone hopper
YEA Perch

• Like 1

Whilst my heart says the Yeoman hoppers, my head says both the BBA or another PGA variant would make the most sense, long lived, wide spread and livery options.

BBA could also lead to the BLA coil carrier. Another variant of PGA that looks very different to the one you've done could be a good seller, perhaps the variant with the smooth solebar that was in use with Yeoman and ARC amongst others?

Jo

• Like 1

Here is a list of potential contenders that we have been considering for our next project:

BBA Steel carrier

Pullman Mk2 coaches

PFA - Coal Container

Another PGA

PFB/KFB Warflat

YEA Perch

The TOPS codes for PO types is a catch all can you be more specific?

PBA Lime/Aggregate bogie hopper could these be 2 axle PR80xx or BRT80xx or BSGL81xx ex Ravenscraig or RLS118xx Clyde Cement later without lids or TRL135xx with or without lids

BBA Steel carrier ​will there be full chassis detail such as internal longitudinal solebars that are visible on BLA Coil Carriers and variations on the floor as over the years these have changed

Pullman Mk2 coaches

PFA - Coal Container  ​Procor/Kelly's later MoD or Cawood later British Gypsum

Another PGA

PTA Iron ore/Aggregate bogie wagon ​Assumed to be Dorman Long type for Teesside, Ravenscraig & South Wales

PFB/KFB Warflat  ​Shildon 1976 build

PHA Ex-RMC bogie stone hopper ​ Hall 137XX  SRW built, RMC172XX SRW built or 17225 RFS built

YEA Perch

​Thanks

• Like 1

Don't you dare do warflats ! I'm still wrestling with the genesis kits....

Modern hopper like we see everyday on the media traffic, or a modern open for similar traffic like the 400 DB got recently.

Those class 59s from Dapol will need something desperately

Anything is on the table currently Mark.

We are just getting a feel for what people would like to see next.

As an independent venture it is essential that people are on board from the get go so yes, please let us know what you are interested in and it can be added into the list. Specific types of course would be better as we can then ensure that we make something that everyone is going to want to buy into and make happen.

As for the detail as mentioned in the BBA area, yes, whatever item of stock it is that we produce, we will be endeavouring to get as much of the prototype detail into it as we can whilst attempting to remaining affordable. Our company philosophy still stands.

• Like 1

Don't you dare do warflats ! I'm still wrestling with the genesis kits....

Modern hopper like we see everyday on the media traffic, or a modern open for similar traffic like the 400 DB got recently.

Those class 59s from Dapol will need something desperately

We will listen to the masses!

We will listen to the masses!

Seems fair, I quite like building them to be honest I even if they are a bit.....wonky.....

My god....does that make me a " real " modeller I hear the pros speak of....

Seriously though I reckon a modern aggregates would be good

• Like 1

Whilst my heart says the Yeoman hoppers, my head says both the BBA or another PGA variant would make the most sense, long lived, wide spread and livery options.

BBA could also lead to the BLA coil carrier. Another variant of PGA that looks very different to the one you've done could be a good seller, perhaps the variant with the smooth solebar that was in use with Yeoman and ARC amongst others?

Jo

Thanks Jo, a Foster Yeoman or ARC PGA would be a good option I think but a BBA would also prove popular. 

Many thanks Mark, hopefully this can give a bit more clarification:

PBA – TRL with or without lids.
http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/pbapha

BBA – We would consider all variations where possible.

PFA – Most likely the Cawoods Coal/British Gypsum but open to suggestions.

PTA – Yes that’s correct

PFB/KFB Warflat - Yes Shildon 1976 build

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/modawarflatpfb

PHA Ex- Hall latterly RMC, 137XX SRW built
https://flic.kr/p/fsZrsu

BBA Steel carrier

Pullman Mk2 coaches

PFA - Coal Container

Another PGA

PFB/KFB Warflat

YEA Perch

As someone with an interest in departmental / infrastructure wagons, I'd be most interested in the YEA Perch, but I'm not convinced it would make the most commercial sense - how do you model a 600' long welded rail that is flexible enough to go round model railway curves.  I think some of the Pullman Mk2 coaches are in the ownership of West Coast Railway Company and still in use on Charters, so I'd also be interested in these if they were produced in that guise.  Aggregate wagons less so, but they would fit better with your existing PGA.

I think the BBA would be a good choice , there are a few variations of decking over the years , plus conversions to BSA ( slab / coil ) that ran from Tinsley with slab to Immingham and back with coil , BLA mainly for South Wales traffic, BWA with 5 cradles , BBA with 6 cradles for slab / coil , BIA with 5 ex BOA cradles , then there's the covered version BWA, BXA . Sheerness Steel JXA would be popular ? Or the BVA coil / slab wagon again working from Tinsley.

https://wrightys.smugmug.com/Wagons

Link to some of the various types outlined

Edited by bazjones1711

For me, I've had two wagons at the top of my list for the last 20+ years, the ICI limestone hoppers is the first, which are now available in 'oo' gauge. My second is the UYV BR anhydrite hopper. Has the advantage of no current kit available, but is a single commodity wagon used on a tight diagram, but were used in bulk flows.

Alex/Cav,

Without going back to the start of the thread, didn't you state the intention to do the less shallow (bargeboard?) side panels version of the Redland PGA if the initial project was successful? I took this as a follow up thing.

I'm not creating fellas, it's just that on that understanding, half of my reasoning for buying the number of wagons I have is that I'd like a 50/50 mix of both types within a prototypical length train, same livery mix.

I lack the knowledge of such things, but I'd imagine the running gear is the same? If so aren't you half way there already?

Far be it for me to tell you how to run this enterprise, but I'd personally like to finish the train your initial release has made possible before I start wishlisting about others.

Best regards, Carl.

Hello Alex and Cav

Congrats on your excellent first project I'm sure it will be a great success.

For the future can I suggest an MLA / IEA, simple(?) infrastructure box wagons that can be bought in multiples in Network Rail or EWS livery, or the PTA / JUA to replace the ancient Limby effort that has had its day.

Cambrian already make a BBA, which makes up really well, I would have thought it might be best to avoid duplicating existing relatively modern RTR or kits.

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks Mark, hopefully this can give a bit more clarification:

PBA – TRL with or without lids.

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/pbapha

BBA – We would consider all variations where possible.

PFA – Most likely the Cawoods Coal/British Gypsum but open to suggestions.

PTA – Yes that’s correct

PFB/KFB Warflat - Yes Shildon 1976 build

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/modawarflatpfb

PHA Ex- Hall latterly RMC, 137XX SRW built

https://flic.kr/p/fsZrsu

Might be worth creating a poll so members can vote here or on your own website! FY or ARC PGA get my vote, plus a good PTA hopper...new samples look good btw.