All new RTR PGA wagon in 4mm scale

Grimleygrid

• RMweb Gold

As regards timing, when did the very large Redland lettering in the Trains4U exclusives appear? I am guessing late 80s early 90s.

I also think the protection panels first appeared in the late 80s possibly around the time the last of the grey stripe ones were repainted? 

I have been looking at pictures trying to get a definitive answer. 

5 hours ago, BR Blue said:

As regards timing, when did the very large Redland lettering in the Trains4U exclusives appear? I am guessing late 80s early 90s.

I also think the protection panels first appeared in the late 80s possibly around the time the last of the grey stripe ones were repainted? 

I have been looking at pictures trying to get a definitive answer. 

There is a picture on Flickr showing 1986 built batch (Standard Railway Wagon Co contract 113) wagon REDA14791 on 04/08/86 with protection Pannels.

REDA 14815 with grey band is a 1978 built wagon (contract 62) as is REDA 14807 with/without protection panels. 
REDA 14772 with large REDLAND logo is a 1979 built wagon (contract 65). And just to complete the picture, the first batch of Redlands from Cavalex was REDA 14764 a 1979 build (contract 65).
If Cavalex decides to do a third run of Redlands, there is still 1980 batch (REDA 14775-14780) contract 71 and 1986 batch (REDA 14789-14799) contract 113 to have a crack at. All info comes from the excellent book ‘Standard Railway Wagon Co Heywood Works’ by David W Tandy.

Edited by 66738
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Didn't think I'd ever seen the Redland ones in use so decided not to bother, then started to scan all our old photos and guess what!

1386298669_tonbridge10.png.77bd52277ca09f5036a508c8fdb409f8.png

If more are done may have to get some if funds are available.

• Like 1

On 02/06/2020 at 00:14, slg said:

Didn't think I'd ever seen the Redland ones in use so decided not to bother, then started to scan all our old photos and guess what!

1386298669_tonbridge10.png.77bd52277ca09f5036a508c8fdb409f8.png

If more are done may have to get some if funds are available.

We have stocks of Redland liveried wagons

in five variations

2 hours ago, Trains4U said:

We have stocks of Redland liveried wagons

in five variations

Funds are the big issue having just ordered 

Accurascale PTA/JUA Bogie Tippler Pack - British Steel Blue Outer + Inner

Cavelex KBA Barrier wagon - Double pack + TEA Total Grey livery - Triple pack

Revolution IWA Sfins2 holdall van twin pack x2 + IWA timber carrier (Rfnoos) twin pack x4

Will have to see what next paycheck gives me.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a rake of 6 wagons arrive earlier in the week, went for one each or the weathered white ones with & without the patch. Stunning little wagon, very pleased with them!

However I do have a query, apologies if it's been asked before, I have scanned through the thread but didn't come across anything. How come the 3 variations (end panels, no end panels & ladders) all have the same running number? I'd have thought that as each wagon was different, they would then have a different running number applied?

Andy.

59 minutes ago, SWT442 said:

Had a rake of 6 wagons arrive earlier in the week, went for one each or the weathered white ones with & without the patch. Stunning little wagon, very pleased with them!

However I do have a query, apologies if it's been asked before, I have scanned through the thread but didn't come across anything. How come the 3 variations (end panels, no end panels & ladders) all have the same running number? I'd have thought that as each wagon was different, they would then have a different running number applied?

Andy.

This was down to printing limitations at the time.

there were minimum numbers for each print run.

some of the variations would not (in my opinion) sell in sufficient quantities   to justify its own print run, so we compromised and asked for build variations from each print run.

it gives variety to the customer (if not in running number)

Edited by Trains4U
  • Informative/Useful 1

We really love seeing photos of our projects on people’s layouts. We were sent these superb photos of John Beckett’s weathered PGAs. How good do they look! PGAs from our second production run are still available via our retailers. Thanks to all that have supported the PGA project.

Regards

Cav

IMG_4739.jpg

IMG_4740.jpg

IMG_4741.jpg

IMG_4742.jpg

IMG_4743.jpg

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 1

• 6 months later...
On 18/09/2016 at 16:29, Grimleygrid said:

Thanks again to all those members that have kindly taken the time to post on our thread, it really is appreciated.

Apologies Troublesome Trucks, as Cav has said at the moment we want to focus on the PGA but who knows, may be in the future.

As previously mentioned, our plan, subject to a successful release of the PG012A, would be to release the ex-Tilbury Roadstone PGA as below;

8550534703_a272e33fe0.jpgPGA REDA 14503 TJH01 Trowse 8th June 2001 Copyright Tim Horn by Tim Horn, on Flickr

6279636811_95b674b4ae.jpgPGA REDA 14521 TJH01 Trowse Monday 9th April 2001 Copyright Tim Horn by Tim Horn, on Flickr

This would allow modellers to mix these with the PG012A and also run as a rake in original Tilbury Roadstone livery:

4910766835_f470828258.jpg47 285 westbound through Stratford. by Adrian Nicholls, on Flickr

For those that model the Peak Forest area, these particular PGAs were used for a short period of time in 2002 on a flow from Dowlow to East Anglia.

6332249827_6b74c2bbfc.jpgPGA_REDA_DSCF0274 by Paul Harrison, on Flickr

The response to the Redland liver has got us thinking……

Any thoughts from Cavalex if they may produce this wagon ?

All rakes seem to have at least 3 or 4 as part of the consist .. 

PG013G 

14500 - 14522 

Although a small batch / livery variations are 

Tilbury Roadstone > Red 

Redland > Green / grey stripe

Redland > Green

Redland > Faded Green blanked out 

LaFarge > white with titles 

LaFarge > white with titles blanked out 

LaFarge > white

Additionally.. 

Also has anybody tried to convert a Cavalex PGA 012A into a Redland .. PGA 009B ? If so any pics please .. cheers 

TW

• Like 1

Hi TW, whilst very much on our radar this version has certainly taken a back seat due to all of the other projects that we are currently working on, announced and otherwise. As you will appreciate there are only so many hours in the day. 

I would certainly never say never, though just not soon.

Regards

Cav

Stocks of some of our PGAs are starting to get quite low, particularly the Redland versions.

All Redland versions have ladders
PGA012 OR (1) -  Original Redland.  Good stocks
PGA012 LR (a) -   Redland Large Logo with protection panels - SOLD OUT
PGA012 LR (b) -   Redland Large Logo without protection panels - LOW STOCK
PGA012 R (2) -   Redland with protection panels -  LOW STOCK
PGA012 R (3) -   Redland without protection panels -  VERY LOW STOCK

PGA012 W (1) -  White  with protection panels, no ladders -  Good Stocks
PGA012 W (2) -  White  without protection panels, no ladders -  Good Stocks
PGA012 W (1) -  White  without protection panels, with ladders -  SOLD OUT

PGA012 P (1) -  White with patch - with Protection panels, no ladders -  Good Stocks
PGA012 P (2) -  White with patch - without Protection panels, no ladders -  Good Stocks
PGA012 P (3) -  White with patch - with Protection panels and ladders -  VERY LOW STOCK

Let us know if you want any! 

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

We are looking to clear the remnant stock of our White and White with patch OO scale Cavalex PGAs

These have been reduced by 20% to from £32.50 to £26 each, which is remarkable value for such a highly detailed wagon.

Stocks are very limited, and there is no plan for another run in the foreseeable future, so be quick if you want to secure yours.
Reduced price wagons are as follows:

White:

PGAW.png.e7de6a087cdd7d93079a0262eb7058c2.png
Image shows PGA012 W (3)

PGA012 W (1) -  White  with protection panels, no ladders                  - http://www.trains4u.com/p/47600/Cavalex-Models-PGA012W(1)-OO-Gauge-PGA-Wagon-Plain-White--
PGA012 W (2) -  White  without protection panels, no ladders            - http://www.trains4u.com/p/47601/Cavalex-Models-PGA012W(2)-OO-Gauge-PGA-Wagon-Plain-White---No
PGA012 W (3) -  White  without protection panels, with ladders         -  http://www.trains4u.com/p/47608/Cavalex-Models-PGA012W(3)-OO-Gauge-PGA-Wagon-Plain-White-with

White with patch:

PGAP.png.486e82e149acd1107d7d40394efdea8b.png
Image shows PGA012 P (3)

PGA012 P (1) -  White with patch - with Protection panels, no ladders        - http://www.trains4u.com/p/47597/Cavalex-Models-PGA012P(1)-OO-Gauge-PGA-Wagon-White-with-Patch--
PGA012 P (2) -  White with patch - without Protection panels, no ladders  - http://www.trains4u.com/p/47598/Cavalex-Models-PGA012P(2)-OO-Gauge-PGA-Wagon-White-with-Patch--
PGA012 P (3) -  White with patch - with Protection panels and ladders       -  http://www.trains4u.com/p/47599/Cavalex-Models-PGA012P(3)-OO-Gauge-PGA-Wagon-White-with-Patch--

• Like 2