"The Plank" - Compact DCC with a Spanish flavour.

Pete 75C

Edit: "Cap Llevant" is still favourite as a name but assuming "Cap" refers to a rocky coastal outcrop, maybe I should ditch the coastal reference. Still not sure.

The Valencian "Cap" is "Cabo" in Spanish. Cabo de la Nao is just up the coast past Javea.

In English it is "Cape" as in the Cape of Good Hope (Cabo de Buena Esperanza).

I think Cap Llevant captures the sound of the area well.

Thanks for the link. I am quite astounded at the difference. The 333 I was tempted by does have the earlier factory-fitted v3.5. Forgive the ignorant question as I'm very new to DCC sound... If I purchase the v4 decoder, can it be uploaded with the correct sound at point of purchase or do you have to buy the decoder and then source the sounds somewhere else? I'm guessing it all depends where you purchase the decoder from? Thanks again.

When you purchase your decoder the seller will be able to upload the correct sound files which are on the ESU website. If you want to upload the sounds yourself you will need a ESU Lok Programmer, which is good fun if you want to play around with sound in the future.

Edited by Neils WRX

I´ve got a Roco original RENFE 333.0xx with the same sound as your earlier example. The transitions aren´t the best in the world.

There is now a new player in the Spanish sound market.

http://carlosnunez.org/

When you purchase your decoder the seller will be able to upload the correct sound files which are on the ESU website. If you want to upload the sounds yourself you will need a ESU Lok Programmer, which is good fun if you want to play around with sound in the future.

Thanks for the info. I shall probably hold out for a 333 in taxi livery* without sound and then take it from there. I was probably quite impressed with the original v3.5 sound simply because I didn't know any better!

* ...and then I go and spot a Roco unrebuilt 319 in Estrella livery. That's rather nice too. The beige and brown livery somehow reminds me of a 1970s Austin Allegro. I shall resist as it would make more sense to keep the layout this side of the year 2000. I'm always jealous of those disciplined modellers who can stick to one distinct time period and never stray. Me, I'm like a kid in a sweet shop.

• Like 3

Some slow progress...

The most noticeable addition is the hardstanding running from the little inspection pit up as far as the buffer stop (which I've pinched from the Ripple Lane layout). Seemed a shame not to reuse it. It's just had a height reduction to make it suitable for HO rather than OO. The hardstanding still looks a little "clean" and will need some oil stains and ultimately lots of clutter. Jury's still out on whether to provide a canopy to the siding, as per the prototype.

Work has begun on the platforms. The top surface will eventually be from Evergreen styrene sheet. The Lego is just there to mark the position of a very utilitarian building (bottom picture). Just one door street-side, a couple of windows, and maybe just a few aircon units on the front to make it slightly more interesting! I'll probably use the Lego for the building frame and just clad with embossed brick.

post-17811-0-80693000-1480519385.jpg

post-17811-0-65914200-1480519386.jpg

post-17811-0-43107700-1480519387.jpg

post-17811-0-20629400-1480519388.jpg

post-17811-0-81064400-1480519689.jpg

Edit: Ignore the little 4-wheel van on the siding. Yes, it's a bit out of place!

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 4

I thought the wagon was just sitting on the concrete until I looked more closely.

The infill is a bit tight. Mental note to self... don't expect to run anything coarse-wheeled into the siding...

The concrete sections were given a couple of coats of Railmatch "concrete" but if I'm honest, I then hit them too hard with the black/white weathering powders, turning them a grubby grey which to my eye is not particularly Spanish-looking. They should be a lot more "beige" and clean-looking, like yours. If anyone's not familiar with "Peak Dale Wood", this is the way to do a hardstanding...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/97832-peak-dale-wood/?p=2481824

I may go over them again in the future to get the colour right, but they'll do for now. The actual DMU sidings at Benidorm aren't infilled, so I find myself freelancing a lot more as I go along... it is supposed to be just a test track and Rule 1 "I'll do what I damn well want" applies quite happily here. Platform surfaces next and then that hideously functional box of a building. I've no idea what it is... looks a bit big for a relay room, perhaps a workshop?

• Like 1

I'm still deliberating about a loco purchase. The 333 mentioned above is still favourite and if The Plank is ever extended or a completely new Spanish layout is ever built (in Spain, obviously) it would look quite at home on freight or passenger workings. Life, however, has thrown a spanner into the works and I've discovered this...

post-17811-0-02742700-1480580139_thumb.jpg

The front end reminds me of the robot from the movie Chappie but I guess that's the weird way my mind works... Now, I'm not a fan of electric locos unless they're whizzing through East Croydon being powered from the 3rd rail, but I do like this one. It's quite a novelty too. One of only a few rebuilt from an earlier design. I believe it's preserved (in a later livery) and still gets regular outings. Now I'd have to add knitting to the layout's two through platforms which I'm loathe to do simply as I've never done it before. Also, I need to try and find some YouTube video of one of these fitted with sound, as I've no idea what an electric loco sounds like. I'm mentally wishlisting and if I have any sense, I won't buy it, but it does look rather good...

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 3

Also, I need to try and find some YouTube video of one of these fitted with sound, as I've no idea what an electric loco sounds like. I'm mentally wishlisting and if I have any sense, I won't buy it, but it does look rather good...

These are great looking locos, Pete. I remember seeing one in the early 90s at Alicante. It looked futuristic at the time.

One of them resides in the Portland Grove fleet.

Look for "Gato Montes" or "Gato Montes 269" on You Tube and you should find some videos.

They were given the Gato Montes nickname which means Wildcat. I don´t know if they were good at climbing mountains though?

One of the class of 4 held the Spanish speed record at one time, for electric traction IIRC.

If you want to know what they sound like, get hold of your wife´s hairdryer and have a listen. :jester:

• Like 2

If you want to know what they sound like, get hold of your wife´s hairdryer and have a listen. :jester:

...and what an appalling noise that is. It's even a Spanish hairdryer. Coming back from Calella a few years ago, I packed everything that was in the wardrobe. When we unpacked back in England, my wife was a bit surprised to find a hairdryer in the suitcase. "I didn't take one" she said. Oops.

Without taking this thread off topic, I've found Electric loco DCC sound a bit of a disappointment when compared to diesels.

Not off-topic at all! That was my big fear. A diesel has a wide range of sounds to listen to. An electric loco much less so (I would have thought). I still need to YouTube the loco in question but I stand by my assertion that I'm wishlisting. I agree totally with Andy that it's a fine looking machine but I really don't think I want to install catenary and it would therefore probably sit in the siding and be a very expensive (and quiet) ornament. Now I'll run anything anywhere (Rule 1) but I'm not sure even I could live with an AC electric loco running around pan down.

I want to buy something as a modelling Christmas present to myself, but it looks unlikely it will be the Wildcat. One for the future and another layout, perhaps.

Does anyone know the font used for modern RENFE station signs? I'm reasonably sure it's not Gill Sans... :no: Example from Torremolinos shown below.

post-17811-0-94875800-1481013388.jpg

I'm currently doing the backscenes for The Plank (Cap Llevant?), the modern beige building is completed (pics soon) and I'm currently kitbashing a station building from a variety of Piko kit parts. Thoughts are now turning to providing some station signage. It occurs to me that it would make sense to be able to run the layout in two distinct time periods by changing a few cars and perhaps the signage. Circa 1980-1990 and 2005> are a possibility.

In the UK we're very lucky to have a variety of resources. The customisable and printable station sign sheets from Scalescenes (thumbnail below) have made me lazy. Add name here and print. Easy.

post-17811-0-56446400-1481013770.jpg

Can I find anything at all similar for layouts set in Spain? Nope. I've had a quick skim through the excellent forotrenes website using search terms like "estacion senales" but the language barrier is proving to be a real handicap and I've not been able to find anything. I'm starting to think that knocking the individual signs out using Corel's Paint Shop Pro might be easiest but getting the font wrong would be... well... wrong!

I shall have another stab at answering my own question via Google but if anyone knows, do tell. Thanks.

Oh and btw... I've made that loco purchase I've been pondering over. It's not what I would have ordinarily considered... but I never could resist a bargain. Not sound-fitted so I'll need to sort that out in the future. It needs to come all the way from Hungary (hopefully in one piece) so I'll take some photos when it arrives.

Edited by Pete 75C

• RMweb Gold

Had a quick search for "Renfe Cercanias signage font", and it came up with links the Transport font. Seems this font-face is used in quite a few of the Mediterranean countries.

The 3rd result down (at least on my search results) leads to http://www.cbrd.co.uk/fonts/ which has free downloads of the fonts.

Hope this helps.

Had a quick search for "Renfe Cercanias signage font", and it came up with links the Transport font.

Thanks Chris. Downloaded both Transport Medium and Transport Heavy and they look exactly right. Stubby's Trebuchet MS was really close but the "L" amongst others was slightly wrong. I'll have another play around in PSP and see what it looks like. Thanks again.

Had a quick search for "Renfe Cercanias signage font", and it came up with links the Transport font...

There are a couple of other fonts that have the 'l' right but not the 'i'.

Euphria (? spelling) and Leewardee.

Thanks again guys.

Had a play with the "Transport" font and I don't think it's going to get any better than that. The "L" was bugging me but it seems to be a match now for the "Torremolinos" sign.

post-17811-0-89245100-1481025510.jpg

Cheers Andy. I'm well aware of the BR Corporate Identity manual which is really really useful, but it didn't occur to me for a second that RENFE would have something similar. Duh.

Below is a quick graphic drawn using Vialog bold. There are huge similarities to "Transport" but it's nice to have exactly the right font. Ignore the Torremolinos reference, it's just there to provide a comparison to the picture in Post #61. I think the background colour's about right too. Sorted.

post-17811-0-85569600-1481111441.jpg

Here are a few snaps taken on the Denia to Benidorm line a couple of years ago.

Nice photos! Thanks for uploading those.

As promised, a couple of pictures of the boring beige building at the far end of the main platform next to the level crossing. I've freelanced this quite a bit because as we all know, this isn't meant to be a copy of Benidorm... the gauge is too wide for starters. I'm just using the station/track plan/area for inspiration. The dual aircon boxes and associated plumbing have been added just to give a lift to what really is a mundane structure. I need to continue on with the platforms... a mix of ashpalt and tile. Of course I've made things difficult for myself by incorporating a very gentle curve into the platform edge. A case of measuring carefully, cutting and then finding I've still got it wrong! I've decided to keep the backscene as simple as possible as I think they can sometimes divert attention from the model. I could have got all artistic with thundery skies but hey... this is Spain. The sun's shining.

post-17811-0-38431200-1481131829.jpg

post-17811-0-35654700-1481131830.jpg

• Like 6

Work on the station building continues and I'm happy with it so far. Bearing in mind it started out as a kit for a cement factory (!) it's looking believable. I've been messing around in Corel's Paint Shop Pro and have finalised the station signs. The "Cercanias" logo is familiar to me from further up the coast towards Barcelona but I'm not entirely sure if it's appropriate here, so I've done graphics "with" and "without". Cap Llevant is entirely fictitious, so I can maybe get away with it. The signs will be printed onto semi-gloss self adhesive photo paper, stuck to thin 0.5mm plastic sheet and cut out with a scalpel. This method has worked well for me in the past. The actual signs will be fixed using Tacky Wax, so they can be removed and replaced if I backdate the layout.

post-17811-0-82474700-1481358161.jpg

Backdating the layout may be required from time to time as the new loco arrived from Romania yesterday. Three days is pretty good. You wait longer for stuff to arrive in the post from Manchester! An unrebuilt 319.2 in Estrella livery by Roco. My version is without the yellow aircon boxes above the cabs, so I'm guessing circa 1980 through to about 1990? Not sound-fitted, but it arrived with a DCC chip in the box which I wasn't expecting. It can always get the sound treatment later. There is a wealth of detail on this model and it also comes with loads of bits to be added. I really am quite impressed. I find the later-build Renfe 319s a little soul-less (like our Class 66s) but I've always liked the earlier ones. Hey, it was a bargain and it would have been rude not to buy it! When the station building's done, I shall take a few photos of it alongside the platform.

post-17811-0-89326000-1481358788.jpg

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 4

It's got the cab windows off a crompton Pete, that's why you likes it. You can take the boy out of Selhurst......

A couple of days alone in Selhurst's paint shop with a Crompton and a selection of leftover 1970s British Leyland paints...  beige, brown etc and I reckon I could have made a half-decent alternative to the Large Logo livery. I'd have had to reupholster the seats with brown velour though and perhaps put in a sunroof...