Modelu Figures & Component News

alanbuttler

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

Nice to see some down to earth figures including some proper little urchins, vagabonds and scrubbers. Makes a change to the usual posh folk in big dresses and tall hats. Very nice.

Is there a Birmingham collection I've not come across?!

Edited by Hal Nail

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

Nice to see some down to earth figures including some proper little urchins, vagabonds and scrubbers. Makes a change to the usual posh folk in big dresses and tall hats. Very nice.

2 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Is there a Birmingham collection I've not come across?!

No, that's one of the advantages of moving to Brizzle!

Mike.

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

It's been a long time since I heard the term scrubber!

Hope your trip to the Netherlands goes well. I'd love to see an HO range from Modelu. As a British modeller of German railways in era III (as well as 4mm BR(W)), what's available from Preiser is OK and some of the figures are very characterful as well as being quite realistic. The problem is that an awful lot of them are in "action" poses which I don't personally find convincing. I'd rather have figures standing and not doing anything very much as you'd normally see in 1:1 scale for most of the time. German modellers seem to prefer such action poses and populate their layouts with "action" scenes.

Incidentally, Modelu and your scanning opportunities have been mentioned on a German forum  -  https://www.stummiforum.de/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=102018. The thread is called Austria 1955 - The Goertschtiztalbahn. Its a beautiful piece of modelling representing an Austrian line in the 1950s!

David C

On 10/01/2020 at 15:29, alanbuttler said:

2mmFS Polka Dots!! :o

My mother had a dress like that, not polka dots but large red flowers and hand made, in the 1950's. It  must have made an impression as I was only 7 or 8 years old then and I still remember it vividly now 60+ years later! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, David C said:

The problem is that an awful lot of them are in "action" poses which I don't personally find convincing. I'd rather have figures standing and not doing anything very much as you'd normally see in 1:1 scale

If asked to move a regulator you'd probably have to put your back into it whereas there is a tendency for someone being scanned to plant both feet and wave a limp hand roughly where they think the lever might be. Some remind me a bit of Thunderbirds!

This is in no way meant to criticise the range which I use for all my 7mm figures and the better action poses can look really convincing.

All benefit from being properly "seated" - I often hack quite a bit away to mould the figure deeper into the part of the loco it is leaning against etc.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

If asked to move a regulator you'd probably have to put your back into it 

Which would constitute an 'action' pose. I'm happy for the figure to simply be holding the regulator, preparing to move it.

I agree with @David C, action poses are difficult to pull off, and look really strange in a static setting.

While action poses are difficult to pull off on in a layout setting, they can be quite effective when photographing.  Having a collection of both can be an asset.  In any event it is a great excuse to get some way cool looking figures!

Edited by davefromacrossthepond
Repairing typo.
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

As some of you may have seen already, the BRM London show this weekend has rightly been postponed until later in the year. As a result I've decided to offer free postage to any UK orders placed between today and Sunday evening and have published the brand new Spring 2020 catalogue for free download.

Happy modelling folks and stay well and safe

spacer.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m634m377jz0gxx5/Modelu Catalogue.pdf?dl=0

Edited by alanbuttler
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

16 minutes ago, dibber25 said:

I'm looking for a kilted Scotsman - a Highlander - and wondered if you've ever scanned one? The only figures I can find are wargaming ones in 'battle' poses with swords or guns. (CJL)

I have a scan of a chap on file somewhere, do you have a particular pose in mind?

1 hour ago, alanbuttler said:

I have a scan of a chap on file somewhere, do you have a particular pose in mind?

A walking - striding forward  - pose would be good but its mainly the kilt and the jacket and boots that I'm looking for. (CJL)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ok Im not ashamed to confess I am so tight that free postage is a big plus - I'm about to strike!

Question: were loco staff allowed to smoke whilst on the footplate?

Edited by Hal Nail

23 hours ago, truffy said:

I think 1800 might be ideal for my village war memorial. Given that my modelling is in 4mm, I'm thinking that 7mm for the statue might be about right.

Thoughts?

Far too big IMO. Most are life-size or a slight size larger. 

Paul A. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, 1whitemoor said:

Far too big IMO. Most are life-size or a slight size larger. 

Paul A. 

Or in the case of footballers such as Ibrahimovic, one suspects the statues head is somewhat smaller :)

Edited by Hal Nail