Modelu Figures & Component News

alanbuttler

• 4 weeks later...

Happy new year folks! I had quite a busy December so my timescales for getting some items on the website have slipped a little and now all attention is on getting the 7mm lamps ready for the Bristol O Gauge show on 22nd January.

The lamps will be provided in the same format as the 4mm ones, i.e. unpainted and with lenses to fit, priced at £12 for 5. Here are some photographs of a pre-production samples in test. I'll be making changes to the design to sort the array of lamp iron styles, including etched, cast and RTR, and all being well the lamps will be available via the website before Bristol.

The complete range includes:

2060 LNER Head Lamp

2062 LNER Tail Lamp

2064 LNWR Head Lamp

2066 LMS Head Lamp

2067 LMS Tail Lamp

2068 LMS Side Lamp

2069 SR Tail Lamp

2070 SR Side Lamp

2074 SR Head Lamp

2075 GWR Head Lamp

2065 BR (WR) Head Lamp

2076 GWR Tail Lamp

2077 GWR Side Lamp

2073 Industrial Head Lamp

2078 Manchester Ship Canal Loco Lamp

2071 BR Side Lamp

2072 BR Tail Lamp

2080 BR Battery Electric Mk2 Tail Lamp

2081 BR Battery Electric Mk3 LED Tail Lamp

post-17930-0-51217400-1483615884_thumb.jpg

post-17930-0-25983800-1483615906_thumb.jpg

post-17930-0-62824100-1483615928_thumb.jpg

post-17930-0-42522400-1483615947_thumb.jpg

post-17930-0-67263400-1483615961_thumb.jpg

post-17930-0-78696600-1483615986_thumb.jpg

post-17930-0-22845100-1483616006_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Happy new year folks! I had quite a busy December so my timescales for getting some items on the website have slipped a little and now all attention is on getting the 7mm lamps ready for the Bristol O Gauge show on 22nd January.

The lamps will be provided in the same format as the 4mm ones, i.e. unpainted and with lenses to fit, priced at £12 for 5. Here are some photographs of a pre-production samples in test. I'll be making changes to the design to sort the array of lamp iron styles, including etched, cast and RTR, and all being well the lamps will be available via the website before Bristol.

The complete range includes:

2060 LNER Head Lamp

2062 LNER Tail Lamp

2064 LNWR Head Lamp

2066 LMS Head Lamp

2067 LMS Tail Lamp

2068 LMS Side Lamp

2069 SR Tail Lamp

2070 SR Side Lamp

2074 SR Head Lamp

2075 GWR Head Lamp

2065 BR (WR) Head Lamp

2076 GWR Tail Lamp

2077 GWR Side Lamp

2073 Industrial Head Lamp

2078 Manchester Ship Canal Loco Lamp

2071 BR Side Lamp

2072 BR Tail Lamp

2080 BR Battery Electric Mk2 Tail Lamp

2081 BR Battery Electric Mk3 LED Tail Lamp

attachicon.gif20170104_124155.jpg

attachicon.gifP1210450-2.jpg

attachicon.gif20170104_133807.jpg

attachicon.gifP1210451-2.jpg

attachicon.gifP1210454-2.jpg

attachicon.gifP1210461-2.jpg

attachicon.gifP1210462-2.jpg

Very nice, Alan, especially with the touch of weathering on the lamps.

Very nice, Alan, especially with the touch of weathering on the lamps.

Thank you, it was my first attempt at weathering lamps and I did the following, all whilst still on their sprues:

- light dusting of Halford's white primer

- painted lamps in Lifecolor white acrylic

- Lightly weathered lamps had a small amount of MIG Black Smoke weathering powder applied, then sealed with matt varnish

- Heavily weathered lamps were painted with MIG dark enamel wash, then removed with thinners, then a small amount of MIG Black Smoke powder applied and sealed

- Lenses removed from strip backing with a scalpel and applied with small amount of superglue

post-17930-0-42438500-1483627132.jpg

post-17930-0-99648100-1483627141_thumb.jpg

Edited by alanbuttler
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Hi Tony, happy new year! Do you have any info on them, photos etc?

Cheers Alan and all the best to you too.

There is a nice drawing in the back of a two part series of books on GCR locos by EM Johnson, as well as some photos. If you don't have the books but are up for doing some, I will scan and email it to you, (pretty please!),

Tony

Edit: Just had a look at the drawings and they have no dimensions. I hate it when that happens! Still better than none at all though.

Edited by t-b-g
  • Like 1

Cheers Alan and all the best to you too.

There is a nice drawing in the back of a two part series of books on GCR locos by EM Johnson, as well as some photos. If you don't have the books but are up for doing some, I will scan and email it to you, (pretty please!),

Tony

Edit: Just had a look at the drawings and they have no dimensions. I hate it when that happens! Still better than none at all though.

Sounds great, yes please!

• 3 months later...

Not quite to the stanadrd above lamps but there again at a fraction of the scale here's some 2mm versions of lamps. Another superb product for us starved n gauge/2mm guys. So much better than anything else I've seen at this scale.

20170405_202153_zpsiez1zrqy.jpg

Edited by millerhillboy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Alan,

I purchased a few of your figures a year or so back and I love the finesse and fidelity of your figures, lamps and other accessories. My only criticism relates to the use of your figures for "period" modelling, your choice of human models. I much appreciate that you are limited to volunteers, and the time and effort of the human models, but as someone who is modelling pre-grouping, the figures are, shall we say, rather large. I would suggest for most loco crews this is also true up to the 1980's. Any chance for some alternative food deprived figures?

Cheers,

Chris, someone who is definitely not food deprived

Hi Alan,

I purchased a few of your figures a year or so back and I love the finesse and fidelity of your figures, lamps and other accessories. My only criticism relates to the use of your figures for "period" modelling, your choice of human models. I much appreciate that you are limited to volunteers, and the time and effort of the human models, but as someone who is modelling pre-grouping, the figures are, shall we say, rather large. I would suggest for most loco crews this is also true up to the 1980's. Any chance for some alternative food deprived figures?

Cheers,

Chris, someone who is definitely not food deprived

Hi Chris,

Thanks for taking time to give feedback, I really appreciate it.  I agree completely and am in talks about a new range of pre-grouping figures with some builds/heights suitable for the era.  It has been almost 2 years since the first scans in the range were created (no's 1052-1060 at least) and I'm giving thought to replacing some of the early scans with updated versions.  I've improved the scanning and printing process during that time also so will be worth a refresh I think.

I'll keep this thread updated with developments, 

Cheers

Alan

• Like 7

Chris/Alan

Would it be straightforward for Alan to use his software to scale down slightly - ie multiply the scans by, say 5.5/6 to reduce height to prevalent early 20th century dimensions.? Appreciate some features may be scale appropriately but at 1:76, that's got to be pretty minor?

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

At Stevenage I spoke with Alan about his lovely model figures, yes they are of well fed 21st century people. Footplate men of the 20th century did not have the vast amount of food stuff available to us today  and were shorter and skinnier than most of us are so if you are short and skinny please get yourself to one of Alan's scanning sessions. :sungum:

At Stevenage I spoke with Alan about his lovely model figures, yes they are of well fed 21st century people. Footplate men of the 20th century did not have the vast amount of food stuff available to us today  and were shorter and skinnier than most of us are so if you are short and skinny please get yourself to one of Alan's scanning sessions. :sungum:

Yes. I'm never going to look like an impoverished Victorian waif. Though I could impersonate a small gang.

• Like 1

Hello

We were fortunate last month to have Alan come along to one of our Club nights and give us a talk on 3D scanning and printing.

Then the next day being one of our Modelling Saturdays, he was there all morning to scan us.

I had two scans which can be seen below.

post-7053-0-85390300-1492350942_thumb.jpg

The models will be used in my Heljan 1366 class locos.

I may be short enough for a Victorian gent, but a little wide at the middle!

Thanks

SEEYA
ANT

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Alan

Are you going to add the WD cylinder cover that Tim Shackleton describes in the May Hornby magazine onto the website?

They look awesome and would love to purchase some

Hi Mark,

Yes they will be on the website this week, thanks for the positive comments!

• RMweb Gold

I don't know if it has been mentioned but Alan has done some figures for Pendon. I bought some when they first appeared on the Pendon Website and they are ( unsurprisingly) excellent. It it nice to have some of the ModelU figures which represent non-railway people, however having said that I have used the reclining figures to represent a group of railway gangers on my SWAG module of Chard. 

all the best

Godfrey

• RMweb Gold

Hi Alan, any progress on the 7mm GWR platform lamps?  We discussed them at the Bristol O gauge show earlier in the year and I would still love some for my layout :-)

Best wishes

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Godfrey - Back in October last year Pendon commissioned me to make around 30 figures for the Vale Scene which they are also now selling in the museum shop. The first batch have been on sale since the beginning of March and another 10 should be added to the range this month.

You can see what is in the range so far here - https://www.pendonmuseum.com/shop/index.php?category=24

And here are a few examples of what is still to come, used for a painting guide I've added to the website

attachicon.gif2 Prime.jpg

attachicon.gif1 Primed and base flesh.JPG

attachicon.gif2 Base colours.JPG

attachicon.gif3 Highlights and details.JPG

These were the subject of conversations during a photographic workshop at Pendon Museum just this very day!

post-2194-0-89956900-1494015603_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

post-7595-0-57547000-1494016036_thumb.jpg

Hi Alan,

Here's one of your drivers hitching a lift on a Sentinel whilst waiting for his ride to turn up. He's enjoying a spot of freedom whilst knowing he'll spend he rest of his model life encased in a Bachmann 66!

Great prints and great service as ever.

Steve

• Like 3